New owner of tornado tre
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New owner of tornado tre

Member #

New owner of tornado tre

Hi to all.
    I've just bought a beautiful tornado tre. It is in great condition and a brilliant ride, except that it doesn't like going into neutral with the engine running. The guy I bought it from says they are all like this. Is this the case? I know the clutch was sorted some years ago by a previous owner. Can anyone advise if this is the case or if there is a fix for it. Thank you.

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Hi and welcome, yes the Tornados are vertually impossible to get into neutrol once you come to a halt, i try and snick it into neutral just before i stop, if i miss it i just sit in ususlly first get, enjoy

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ron d View Post
    Hi and welcome, yes the Tornados are vertually impossible to get into neutrol once you come to a halt, i try and snick it into neutral just before i stop, if i miss it i just sit in ususlly first get, enjoy

Hi Ron, thank you for you speedy reply. I'm sure I'll learn to live with it, but I'll try your advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Alec
    Member #
    You will have to become a master of the noble art of selecting the rolling neutral. Think ahead and try to anticipate if you will be stationery for a period of time. Welcome to the club and enjoy the experience.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnergray View Post
    Hi to all.
    I've just bought a beautiful tornado tre. It is in great condition and a brilliant ride, except that it doesn't like going into neutral with the engine running. The guy I bought it from says they are all like this. Is this the case? I know the clutch was sorted some years ago by a previous owner. Can anyone advise if this is the case or if there is a fix for it. Thank you.
    Clutch adjustment and stack height of the clutch cassette is critical, if its right , you can select neutral stopped at the lights. down into first, snick up and you get second.The clutch fully depressed , gentle pressure on the gear change and it drops into neutral. Easy !
    Clutch drag makes the selection very hard, be prepared to make regular clutch adjustments

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    They aren't great for sure, though setting everything up to perfection will help. My hydraulic clutch conversion made neutral selection much easier when stopped.

Name
    Richard marsh
    Member #
    If at a standstill put it into 2nd,with the clutch lever still held in,blip the throttle,Just before the revs drop snick it into neutral.Works for me 9 times out of 10.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Mine slowly improved over the first 110,000 km, but the real change happened when I rebuilt the worn out clutch at that point, a couple years ago. I have a hydraulic clutch which allowed me to play with the adjuster pin length. I made a new one which was the absolute longest that would fit without touching the inside of the case. The throw now is maximised, which has reduced the drag and made selecting neutral much easier. I still select neutral before stopping out of habit, but when the situation catches me out, I can still select it 95% of the time.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    My solution to this problem was to flip the gear pattern upside down. It only took me a couple rides to adjust to it, no biggie plus when you`re accelerating hard it`s much better to stomp the lever down to get the next gear, trust me. I still gotta get to neutral while rolling and practically do what others have told, select second then ease it into neutral I just do it upside down so basically I select neutral like I would normally, I just do it "up" from second gear. Confused? Good

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball Mat View Post
    ... flip the gear pattern upside down. It only took me a couple rides to adjust to it, ..
    I've had mine in race pattern for many years. Not to make it easier to find neutral though, but to be able to select the next gear when cranked over and powering out of a left hander. It took me a year for it to become instinctive. At the beginning I'd have no trouble while all I was thinking about was changing gear, but when lots of things demanded my attention I'd like as not go the wrong way. The slipper was a god-send.

Then I bought the TR650 Terra .....

I looked at changing it but gave it up as too complicated.
    So now I jump on Nell and it's 1 up 5 down, then I throw the leg over Moe and it's 1 down and 4 up. Fortunately the bikes are different enough to give me the clues to get it right after a few changes, and let's face it, changing gears on a Tornado standing up isn't something you do regularly.
    I up 5 down is the most instinctive though, so I'm always careful on Moe, 'cos he hasn't got a slipper clutch. I learnt that one very early on

I've recently bought a GSX-R750 track bike. Changing it to race pattern was one of the first things on the todo list, but easily done.
    I rode a mate's SV650 at Wakefield Park a while back and I constantly had it in the red coming out of turn 7 'cos I couldn't fit my boot under the gear lever. Mate wouldn't let me change it so I solved the problem with the gixxer
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors