Been a long dark winter...
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oddball Mat

Thread: Been a long dark winter...

Member #

Been a long dark winter...

On the last legs of what begun as a light service after, as some of you might remember, receiving this bike from a dear friend of mine, and to tell you the truth had I known what I`m pushing my spoon into as we say here I might not have but as I`m slowly reaching the final parts of what became quite an ordeal I`m kinda glad I did as I now know I have a bike that`s not only IMO the most beautiful motorbike ever manufactured it should be mechanically sorted as well (aside a few naggles, more of them a bit later)

Here`s a little list of what I`ve done to the bike so far. After digging into it it became quite obvious quite quickly that this bike had both been tracked and it has also been serviced by someone who doesn`t know the first thing about how to do it.

-Faulty TPS swapped
    -failed plugs swapped to iridium
    -#3 cyl plug thread repaired
    -valve cover sanded to bare metal after being badly corroded and repainted with wrinkle black
    -valves checked (surprisingly they were all within spec)
    -valve cover seal and plug well seals replaced
    -front fairing stay welded and bent back to shape (though when I look at the bike from the back the right side mirror seems a smidge lower so might need a revisit later)
    -numerous threads on clutch cover and gearbox cover recoiled
    -all bolts on both replaced
    -slipper clutch assembled wrong -> fixed
    -bearings and seal on clutch command bell housing utterly destroyed -> swapped
    -waterpump serviced
    -ECU reflashed with standard 903 map instead of stupid "dump all in" "racing" map (had to buy both the cable and a laptop to do this!)
    -chain and sprockets swapped to DID 525 VX Gold
    -Exhaust muffler swapped from an Austin racing stupid loud and illegal can to an Arrow one thanks to a forum member Ben Nelly, AFAIK there`s three of these bikes in Finland so zero aftermarket parts available here.
    -right side rear indicator fixed, corroded connectors cleaned, tail light and plate light full of sand dust -> cleaned
    -plate holder redone (old one was hastily botched and the plate sat askew)

I know I`m forgetting stuff but here`s at least most of it, still waiting for new exhaust port seals from UK to get the manifold and the muffler back on, after that starting to get about finished with it. pics to follow.

One thing that`s been nagging at me that I was unable to fix though was the neutral sensor. It seems the PO had not only managed to destroy it, assumingly when swapping out the z25 and the 903 clutch the bike has, but attempted to fix it snapping a counter-thread extractor stud into the hole in the process! I threw everything I could at it without dropping the whole lump and the bugger refused to budge so that remains not sorted still...
    Kevin S likes this.
    2003 Tornado TRE #467

Name
    Kevin Scudder
    Member #
    Looks like you really had to dig in, I hope you're on the road now. Glad to hear that you reverted to the original can, I know I'm in the minority here, but I have a bit of an aversion to pointlessly loud motorcycles on the road.

Sponsors