Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick67

Thread: replacement clutch 900 tornado

Name
    martyn
    Member #

replacement clutch 900 tornado

My Tornado seems to be lacking power at various times. Its like the bike is in neutral but is running. Then the power cuts in and runs normally. It will do tis intermittently. I had a col failure in he past anits not that. Its not like coils failing. I think its the clutch. Does this sound right?
    Also I think its going to take a while to get a new clutch then there is fitting. Bennetts is 4 hours ride each way for me as I am in Hampshire. So not keen on that. I have no idea if there is a special tool specific to tornados for the clutch. If so I doubt any local mechanic would have one or is just standard tools? anyone know?
    If anyone has a clutch I would real appreciate it as I am participating in a hill climb mid June a Prescott!

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    If the clutch was slipping you'd notice a sudden increase in engine RPM without a corresponding increase in road speed, is this what happens?

Name
    martyn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    If the clutch was slipping you'd notice a sudden increase in engine RPM without a corresponding increase in road speed, is this what happens?

Pretty much yes.
    If I move off its usually ok sometimes I have to increase the throttle a bit to get proper traction. Then sometimes it will suddenly kick it and run normally. When moving I can turn the throttle and get increased revs but not power. There is no issue wit changing gear or anything

It a pain as i am away for two week from the 23d and in June I am running the hill a usual at Prescott hill climb. I will still d0 it but would be much easier with a proper working clutch.
    Not sure if he ones on eBay are any good

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    May just need the plates cleaning clutch adjusting properly. Think its on the manual how to adjust at the clutch centre rather than lever?

Odd one, worth checking the cable / lever is operating smoothly, i once had some cheapo levers where the nipple would stick in the hole (ooo err missus...)
    The lever would then not spring all the way out leading to intermittent clutch slip.
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 848 for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......for those mid life crisis days....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeppurple View Post
    My Tornado seems to be lacking power at various times. Its like the bike is in neutral but is running. Then the power cuts in and runs normally. It will do tis intermittently. I had a col failure in he past anits not that. Its not like coils failing. I think its the clutch. Does this sound right?
    Also I think its going to take a while to get a new clutch then there is fitting. Bennetts is 4 hours ride each way for me as I am in Hampshire. So not keen on that. I have no idea if there is a special tool specific to tornados for the clutch. If so I doubt any local mechanic would have one or is just standard tools? anyone know?
    If anyone has a clutch I would real appreciate it as I am participating in a hill climb mid June a Prescott!
    You describe a classic example of a clutch just starting to slip. Have you ever adjusted the clutch at the service interval ?
    First thing, drain the oil. (you can do it with the bike lent right over ) but I prefer dropping it out. An oil change and filter is not a bad idea anyway.
    Check the clutch is set up correctly, with the 10 mm and 13 mm lock nut loosened, check the adjustment of centre spindle. If its bang on! pull out the clutch plates and steel discs. check the stack height of the plates (48 to 52 mm) . To low and the clutch will slip anyway, you may need an extra steel plate to get the correct set up. If the plates (friction) are badly worn under 1.2 mm, then its a new clutch plate kit. Surflex from Bike Torque about £170 . rebuild and oil change and you should be fine .
    Might see you there then ! (Prescott !)

come back if you need help .

Name
    martyn
    Member #
    Freeeatlast,

I'm not mechanically minded and not sure I know enough to be messing about with the clutch. Oil change yes but not much else. May give it a go but I don't want to make any problems.

Just ordered the surflex one for £156 so not bad. The gasket is nearly £70.Only get that from motoGB.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi it's an easy job to change the clutch plates just remember to put them back in the correct order .
    We're all here to help assist you online .
    You probably won't need a new clutch cover gasket . I've taken mine off about ten times now checking and changing stuff ...
    All the best Rick
    Engenia likes this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    If your stack height is under 48 mm all you need is an extra steel plate of the right thickness to bring it back to 48 - 52. There is plenty of meat on the fibre disks to continue using them even after they have worn to the point of slipping.

Bear in mind also
    1. that the pressure plate is not steel and will wear, increasing the stack height you are aiming for.
    2. varying the stack height between 48 & 52 alters the slipper action
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors