• 1 Post By RobShed
  • 1 Post By Engenia
  • 3 Post By sammyboy92
  • 1 Post By billd
  • 2 Post By Engenia

Thread: And yet another bites the dust :((((

Member #

And yet another bites the dust :((((

.......Due to a cam chain snap on my way back from BSB testing at Silverstone.

Hi all, just a heads up/query really. I am at the dilemma now of whether to break her as can't afford getting her fixed by a dealer and not got the space,time or enough knowledge to do myself. As she stands, what is she worth as a non runner to someone, good condition (apart from the engine!), green/silver? Or shall I start pulling her apart within the month?

Not sure what damage has been caused to the engine and was tempted to take the engine apart to see what, but maybe someone with spares and knowledge may want it complete as it is

A sad day I know,I loved the handling and the sound of the Nellie

Name
    Robin Shedden
    Member #
    Really sorry to hear this. Can you find a good,used lump? Ring an expert to ascertain full costs of engine rebuild (Bennett's). Would they sell it on for you less their work? Keeps one OTR and you get more satisfaction than scrapping. Or break. I'd like first dibs on both OEM silver mirrors, please. Just mull your options over carefully with numbers (£) to substantiate your decision, plus your capability. Good luck, chap.
    Baggo likes this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    That sucks!
    If the chain broke, or skipped more than two teeth, you'll have 6 bent valves. Trouble is, you'll have to replace all twelve plus the collets and caps, as the 900 used an earlier valve design that's hard to get now. Although, I'd probably have enough bits to put it back together with the old design parts from TaxTre's broken engine .... which I still haven't fixed.
    Alex at Maniac will probably have used parts to get you running again.
    PM me with your email address and I'll send you a spread sheet with the bill of materials from a couple of years ago.

Gotta ask though - Why did the chain break?
    Baggo likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Sam Baines
    Member #
    From my recent experience, sourcing a new engine is the best option here. My engine seized for some still unnown reason. The bill to fix it was looking over 3k by the time I got a crank, rod, valves gaskets ect. I managed to get a complete running engine of a forum member who was breaking his crashed bike. I was in talks with a few people over engines, they do crop up from time to time, try European ebay sites and also look into the 899 engine from the nakeds. They seem to be more common than tornado ones. Their was one down south at a bike shop not sure if he still has it. Also most running engines I've seen can be had for 1k , so alot cheaper than fixing a knackered one. Also the actual engine swap is pretty easy tbh, I'm no mechanic but I did mine and it's still going ....
    RobShed, Baggo and ron d like this.
    Benelli tornado tre.
    MV Agusta f4
    Kawasaki kxf250
    Bmw 330cd
    Instagram- sam.baines22

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    That sucks!
    If the chain broke, or skipped more than two teeth, you'll have 6 bent valves. Trouble is, you'll have to replace all twelve plus the collets and caps, as the 900 used an earlier valve design that's hard to get now. Although, I'd probably have enough bits to put it back together with the old design parts from TaxTre's broken engine .... which I still haven't fixed.
    Alex at Maniac will probably have used parts to get you running again.
    PM me with your email address and I'll send you a spread sheet with the bill of materials from a couple of years ago.

Gotta ask though - Why did the chain break?
    That's the unknown! Spoke to Alison (Bennett's) who was so helpful and with the chain only doing 4,500 miles, she spoke to D.I.D who she said would take this very serious. They had the chain off me to do their 'rigorous' tests on it. It took them 2-3 weeks but the email came back as no manufacturing defects to be found on the chain, which isn't a surprise as Alison said they had never heard of one snapping. The email went on to say part seizure or the engine as the two side plates on the chain had been bent as though part the engine was still pulling.

That's why I personally want to take the engine apart, part for knowledge and experience but also to see what damage has been done, but if someone wanted the whole bike as a project, I thought I had better check first. Fairings are bubble wrapped and up in the loft as I knew this was going to take a while. I've still got two bikes to play on, but just haven't got the funds to throw too much many at it but guess even getting hold of gaskets and spares would be quite a lengthy process?

The only thing I have read about which could be an underlying reason for this happening, if you remember, I changed the stepper motor over before the season started. Although she fired up first time after changing, I've read since that you need to do the timing after changing the stepper? Because she started, I guessed she didn't need to be? I'm sure when the chain went, she popped and banged or vice versa, happened too quick, the po seemed to be roughly where the stepper is but on return, it was still doing what it's meant to. So not sure if that's just me being paranoid?

Member #
    Baggo, I did send you a PM, did you not get it? I maybe interested in your bike the way it is. Let me know if you got the PM please.
    Baggo likes this.

Member #

Pm

Quote Originally Posted by billd View Post
    Baggo, I did send you a PM, did you not get it? I maybe interested in your bike the way it is. Let me know if you got the PM please.

Hi Bill,

I've just checked again but no, no PM. I had one yesterday off Deeppurple so know it's working. I'll try sending you one but if not, email is

[email protected]
    Last edited by Baggo; 06-25-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Member #
    Have PM'ed you

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggo View Post
    The only thing I have read about which could be an underlying reason for this happening, if you remember, I changed the stepper motor over before the season started. Although she fired up first time after changing, I've read since that you need to do the timing after changing the stepper? Because she started, I guessed she didn't need to be? I'm sure when the chain went, she popped and banged or vice versa, happened too quick, the po seemed to be roughly where the stepper is but on return, it was still doing what it's meant to. So not sure if that's just me being paranoid?
    The stepper had nothing to do with it.
    The chain broke because it wasn't properly tensioned, and there are only two reasons I know of that can cause this.
    1. the moving guide - if an old machined type - has warped and was touching the side of the chain well (the reason TaxTre's broke)
    2. the tensioner had failed - very rare, but it has happened, apparently, although I have not see direct evidence.

Nothing much you can do about the second, but the first can be picked up in regular maintenance.
    Baggo and ron d like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors