Problematic Tornado Tre 900
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Problematic Tornado Tre 900

Member #

Talking Problematic Tornado Tre 900

Hi guys,
    I am new to the forum and to the whole Benelli world.
    Would like to congratulate you on the great forum. I see a lot of knowledgeable people helping the less knowledgeable with great info and advise. Hope you'll be able to help me as well. So here is my story...
    The first time I saw a Tornado was in a magazine in 2003, I was 14 years old. Immediately became my desktop picture and soon after, my bedroom wall poster. It was there for a long time. Years passed, I grew up, and got myself few bikes. The last one was 04 cbr600rr. Circumstances changed so had to sell it. During that time I never saw or heard anything about Benelli Tornado ever again. Mind you, I am talking about Eastern Europe. I thought it was just a prototype, for example like BMW Nazca.
    Fast forward a few years and a friend of mine showed me one Tornado for sale at auction. I immediately jumped and bought it. It was quite cheap, so I knew there should be something wrong with it, but who cared. My friend did a test ride at the auction and everything seemed well, started the first time, sounded good and everything worked (the test ride was few hundred meters in cold British weather). While the bike was traveling across Europe towards me, I read a bit about it and started to worry a little . But as first registration was 2013, I felt relieved that is from the later batch. Boy I was wrong. When it arrived, it was working on 2 cylinders, didn't want to start when hot, it was getting very hot and the clutch was slipping. Even though is 13 reg, according to the VIN is 04. There are no dealerships around me and I'm not the greatest mechanic, but with the help of some friends we started to investigate.
    First thing is, I ordered this thing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENELLI-T...53.m1438.l2649
    I think it did the job.
    Bought a new battery 230A 11.5Ah
    After that, I read about the Z25 gear, so I ordered this: https://www.motalia.co.uk/t.html with the rubber things, the special washer and HT bolt from ebay. We've changed it, but the problem is still there. Is it possible that these guys have sold me the old version, as there aren't marks on it as you show in some pictures in here? I tried to contact them, but no response.
    Now as I continue to read, I will have to order these two: https://www.maniac-parts.de/artikel.php?id=1828 and https://www.maniac-parts.de/artikel.php?id=865 am I right? Will this solve the issue?
    My other question is what should I do about the clutch and the temperature, what parts should I buy? Its getting really hot while standing. It gets better on the move, but still a bit hot.
    Anyway, I love the Tornado, but just want to fix it, so I could enjoy it a bit more without the constant worry that I won't be able to come back If I go a little further from home.
    Thank you very much in advance.

Please excuse, as English is not my first language I don't understand some of the technical terms.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Balkan View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am new to the forum and to the whole Benelli world.
    Would like to congratulate you on the great forum. I see a lot of knowledgeable people helping the less knowledgeable with great info and advise. Hope you'll be able to help me as well. So here is my story...
    The first time I saw a Tornado was in a magazine in 2003, I was 14 years old. Immediately became my desktop picture and soon after, my bedroom wall poster. It was there for a long time. Years passed, I grew up, and got myself few bikes. The last one was 04 cbr600rr. Circumstances changed so had to sell it. During that time I never saw or heard anything about Benelli Tornado ever again. Mind you, I am talking about Eastern Europe. I thought it was just a prototype, for example like BMW Nazca.
    Fast forward a few years and a friend of mine showed me one Tornado for sale at auction. I immediately jumped and bought it. It was quite cheap, so I knew there should be something wrong with it, but who cared. My friend did a test ride at the auction and everything seemed well, started the first time, sounded good and everything worked (the test ride was few hundred meters in cold British weather). While the bike was traveling across Europe towards me, I read a bit about it and started to worry a little . But as first registration was 2013, I felt relieved that is from the later batch. Boy I was wrong. When it arrived, it was working on 2 cylinders, didn't want to start when hot, it was getting very hot and the clutch was slipping. Even though is 13 reg, according to the VIN is 04. There are no dealerships around me and I'm not the greatest mechanic, but with the help of some friends we started to investigate.
    First thing is, I ordered this thing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENELLI-T...53.m1438.l2649
    I think it did the job.
    After that, I read about the Z25 gear, so I ordered this: https://www.motalia.co.uk/t.html with the rubber things, the special washer and HT bolt from ebay. We've changed it, but the problem is still there. Is it possible that these guys have sold me the old version, as there aren't marks on it as you show in some pictures in here? I tried to contact them, but no response.
    Now as I continue to read, I will have to order these two: https://www.maniac-parts.de/artikel.php?id=1828 and https://www.maniac-parts.de/artikel.php?id=865 am I right? Will this solve the issue?
    My other question is what should I do about the clutch and the temperature, what parts should I buy? Its getting really hot while standing. It gets better on the move, but still a bit hot.
    Anyway, I love the Tornado, but just want to fix it, so I could enjoy it a bit more without the constant worry that I won't be able to come back If I go a little further from home.
    Thank you very much in advance.

Please excuse, as English is not my first language I don't understand some of the technical terms.

Your English is very good.
    Lets see if we can identify the bike you have bought, that will enable you to do checks on if all the mods have been done . what was the registration on it, any details of previous owners , miles on the clock ?

clutch , needs inspecting , and stack height checked , general condition and setting up the adjustment .
    high temperatures , not that unusual when not moving, they need to be moving ,with flow through the ducts.
    Coil sticks fail for the fun of it, so not unusual either .
    Welcome to the fold,

Member #
    Thank you very much.
    When the bike came to me, was on 5600 miles with 4 previous owners. The first owner was from the region of Halifax UK, I think. I have some old MOT's. The reg of the bike was YS13 AEB. I can give you the VIN if you need it. I won't be able to fix the clutch myself, so it will go to a mechanic. Hopefully he'll know what to do.
    I read that I can put the temp gauge somewhere else. Do you think that would help a bit? And change the cooling liquid.

Kind regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    But as first registration was 2013, I felt relieved that is from the later batch.
    All built in 2003/4
    When it arrived, it was working on 2 cylinders
    Common problem. The original coil sticks are not sealed and can ingest water vapour which condenses and eventually causes failure. It doesn't help that the airbox drains straight on top of #2
    didn't want to start when hot
    First place to look is the battery. 200 A will not turn over a hot 900. Aim for 300CCA. A Lithium battery is your best bet.
    Then double up the battery cables to ground and the starter to reduce the losses there.
    it was getting very hot
    The water pump doesn't work well at low revs. In fact it will probably boil if left idling for 20 minutes. If you set the idle mixture excessively rich it won't, but no-one wants to do that.
    An electric water pump solved the problem for me. I can idle it now until it runs out of fuel. The fans will kick in and stay on, but it won't boil.
    If you don't want to change to an electric pump, stay out of traffic. If you must ride in traffic, turn it off at the lights. Ride at 80 kph of more and it will cool back down.
    the clutch was slipping
    My clutch lasted to around 110,000 km. You problem is most likely solved by cable adjustment at the lever. There is an adjuster inside the clutch cover as well. See the workshop manual.
    Good move. They are sealed.
    Buy two more.
    Too weak.(see above)
    After that, I read about the Z25 gear, so I ordered this: https://www.motalia.co.uk/t.html with the rubber things, the special washer and HT bolt from ebay. We've changed it, but the problem is still there. Is it possible that these guys have sold me the old version, as there aren't marks on it as you show in some pictures in here?
    Only the first upgraded Z25's had alignment marks. The latest ones are even more relaxed and don't need them. The casting on the outside is smooth. The original is sand-cast rough.
    BTW. You DID need to change it. The original shaft could break. It's not a 100% bet, but the odds are poor enough, and the parts cheap enough to do it regardless.
    You don't really need to change the starter motor gearing, but it will ease the strain on the starter motor. I haven't changed mine. (The 1130's DO need it)
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    I read that I can put the temp gauge somewhere else. Do you think that would help a bit?
    The air intake temperature sensor is located just above #3 and if stationary will heat soak. the ECU will think the intake air is hotter than it really is and lean out the mixture, stuffing up the idle. Move the sensor to the left air intake.
    It won't solve the overheating problem though.
    And change the cooling liquid.
    There is no coolant that can compensate for too little fluid flow. If it is clean and there is enough of it, leave it. It's not the problem.
    If you find your level dropping periodically, you may have a rotten core plug.
    Last edited by Engenia; 09-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Member #
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    All built in 2003/4
    Only the first upgraded Z25's had alignment marks. The latest ones are even more relaxed and don't need them. The casting on the outside is smooth. The original is sand-cast rough.
    BTW. You DID need to change it. The original shaft could break. It's not a 100% bet, but the odds are poor enough, and the parts cheap enough to do it regardless.
    You don't really need to change the starter motor gearing, but it will ease the strain on the starter motor. I haven't changed mine. (The 1130's DO need it)
    So you think just more powerful battery will solve the issue?

Btw, here is a picture of my new Z25:
    Name:  f8651b34-2790-4aa5-8f55-f0c03898172d.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  226.5 KB

It looks just like the old one.

Kind regards,

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    If the old Z25 shaft only has 1 oil hole along it's length it has already been changed. If it has 2 oil holes, it's one of the originals and it needs to be replaced with the new one.
    Engenia likes this.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    So you think just more powerful battery will solve the issue?
    That's where I'd look first.
    When my battery had a few years in it, it couldn't spin the engine over when hot. I tested that battery and it could only manage 200A, and that was at ~20C.
    Changing the battery for a Lithium solved the problem. It's capable of 400 CCA, which is at 0C. At 20C it can do a shit load more. It went in in Nov 2014 and it's still going strong.
    Btw, here is a picture of my new Z25:
    (removed)
    It looks just like the old one.
    Yep, they are both the same. They are not the original, which, as I said, was rough cast. Yours are smooth.
    I'd be willing to bet that both of your shafts only have one oil hole. As Laurence stated, the original had two.
    So hang onto the spare shaft/Z25. Someone will need it. There are still a lot of triples out there running the old shaft. I'm replacing one in an RS at present.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    You learn something every day. I didn't know it was advisable (or possible) to change the starter gearing.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    You learn something every day. I didn't know it was advisable (or possible) to change the starter gearing.
    The 1130s have a higher compression which puts a real strain on the starter.
    I think Benelli came up with this mod in a vain attempt to solve the hot start problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors