Yuasa to replace my dying JMT battery?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SB76
  • 1 Post By Engenia
  • 2 Post By tonydoc

Thread: Yuasa to replace my dying JMT battery?

Name
    Sham Burhm
    Member #

Yuasa to replace my dying JMT battery?

Hello

Got the RS out few days ago - lovely to ride it again. The battery is not holding charge though and I was caught out today when I was out of town and it wouldn't start. Luckily some kind chap at Kia dealership gave it a boost to get me going.

The current battery is a JMT (not sure how old). Should I go for Yuasa replacement? I've read in to lithium and don't believe I need one of those and need to keep cost down.

Cheers,
    Sham
    tonydoc likes this.

Member #
    Have yuasa on all of mine, tried other options but always go back to them in the end.
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 848 for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......for those mid life crisis days....

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Yes i agree with Ian i have tried lithium-ion batteries but found Yuasa replacement great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    I had a lithium for years did me proud ...
    But after my starter motor brushes incident I went for the Yuasa . Won't be going back to any other

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Not all Lithium Ion Phosphate (LiFePO) batteries are created equal.
    I've used SSB Lithium batteries for almost as long as they have been making them. November 2014 is when Nell got hers. It is still absolutely fine. I haven't run the bike since mid December, and when I hit the starter button it will crank the engine. I left it from March to November when I was slowly rebuilding the clutch amongst other things, and when it came to start it, no problem. It hasn't seen a battery charger.
    SSB is one of the few companies that developed an internal charging system that compensates for the deficiencies of an automotive charging system designed for lead acid batteries, which is why I went for it in the first place.
    Lead acid batteries will give you a lifetime of 2-300 charging cycles. LiFePO is designed for 2000. So a lead acid battery, for me will last on average 3-4 years. Nell's Lithium battery is now 5 years old. I expect another 5.
    A lead acid battery good enough to start Nell when she's hot (eg. Deka ETX12 - 180 CCA; 4.3 kg) will cost me just over $200. The same money gets me an SSB LH9-BS (320 CCA; 1.2 kg)
    There are few things to consider with a LiFePO battery.
    1. when very cold, it is sluggish. Warm it up by using it. Three 1 sec attempts will generally be enough. This has happened to me twice.
    2. don't charge it with a smart charger. The desulphating stage will do the LiFePO battery no favours
    3. the amp-hour rating is not as high as a lead-acid battery, so don't leave your lights on without the engine running. It will flatten very quickly. This is why you will have difficulty finding a LiFePO battery for use in a car. SSB do make a couple, but they are expensive.
    DivingDog likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Sham Burhm
    Member #
    Thank you all - Yuasa it is!

Name
    Haydn Davies
    Member #
    it sounds like my dilemma, i got the Aprillia out early last month and made sure the battery was fully charged rode it around 10miles stopped at the petrol station, and wouldnt start after filling up, Now if you've ever tried bumping a big V twin you'll know its a job and a half ive stalled an RSV coming in to a bend at 50mph once just by going down too many gears and dropping the clutch its not pleasant going around a corner with no power and the clutch in ( I was trying to show off actually and let the back wheel hang out) But it came back and bit me
    But just as i thought about the RAC three burly Harley Riders pulled in and agreed to give it a shove

Ill never say a bad thing about a Harley again actually i do quite like em on the right roads, in Florida i rode one around for three months and loved it
    1982 Z 750 L2, 2008 Aprillia Tuono Factory V2 Gold Wheels, 2002 Tornado Tre LE #81, 1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 7/11 Street-fighter Magazine Bike of the year 2004

Member #
    There is an alternative here and its Katana which is Yuasa . Same numbers. I believe if a dealer sells Yuasa as a brand, cars and all others, he can't stock Katana. They are Yuasa batteries but cheaper. Work great.

Name
    Tony Dockerty
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SB76 View Post
    Hello

Got the RS out few days ago - lovely to ride it again. The battery is not holding charge though and I was caught out today when I was out of town and it wouldn't start. Luckily some kind chap at Kia dealership gave it a boost to get me going.

The current battery is a JMT (not sure how old). Should I go for Yuasa replacement? I've read in to lithium and don't believe I need one of those and need to keep cost down.

Cheers,
    Sham
    Get a lithium one not that expensive up to 65% lighter and it cranks the engine over like a jap bike. Worth the investment
    Engenia and DivingDog like this.
    44300 miles .And Replacement Cam ChainNo 4,Replacment clutch plates No 1,New Radiator , 3rd set of coil sticks, DNA Filter, L E D rear light upgrade, Battery No 5 lithium. Upgraded battery cables.from 03/06/06 to 25/09/2019.

Sponsors