Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crisis
  • 1 Post By Crisis

Thread: Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons

Name
    Christian de Wit
    Member #

Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons

I had some items on my to do list which had been there for a long timeand was about time to get some improvements done.
    One ofthe things that had been buggering me a lot was the display selection switch.It didn't work properly when I bought it and it just stopped working one or twoyears later. I'd already taken the switch apart a couple of times todisarm the service warning light., but I'd also really like a working trip counter to compensate forthe not-so-accurate fuel level on the display. Fuel consumption is always the same, thirsty but predictable
    Anotherthing that has been annoying me was that the mirrors lacked any movement foradjustment. I knew the sight wouldn't be perfect even when I'd set it as wideas possible, the right hand side showed more about the tarmac than what wasactually behind me.
    A thirdthing was adjustable clip-ons. With the factory clip-ons the clutch lever hasto be set rather horizontally to not hit the displayselection switch. Perhaps it's the fact that I've broken my left wrist as akid, but I need it a little more set down. Since the display selection switchdidn't function anyway, I removed it. If it would only have been for the display selection switch, I wouldn't have changedtot adjustable clip-ons, but is still hindered me when I was pulling the clutchwhen steering to the left side lock. Besides that I ride most of my miles witha tank bag. Lots of small reasons to justify spending a couple of hundreds.

I tossed in some pictures.
    As far as I know, taking of the mirrors and removing the corrosion hasbeen posted before. Hadn’t found anything about the display selection switch.Taking it apart lately and checking it with a multi meter showed the switchdidn’t work anymore shortening it, but since there are 6 connectors, I checkedif two of the others would function. Bingo! The ones opposite worked. I scribbleda red square around the connectors that were connected and I scribbled a greensquare around the connectors I soldered the new wires to. It might seem fromthe photo’s there’s a good change the new wires will rub, but I’ve locked itall up in crystal resin. Put a little bit of black sillicon where the cables enter the housing and for some good measure put a dash of petroleum jelly on top of the resin to keep moisture out. I could have soldered it to the original wires, but they’reon the short side, especially for adjustable clip-ons.
    I fiddled a lot with the setup, cause it didn't seem wise to me to adjust the clipons a million times, so I really took my time with the front wheel lifted, tank and tank bag in place.

Since I had it apart anyways I did a full service. Of course, just for the three things above you don’tneed to take the whole bike apart

Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-switch-repair-1.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-switch-repair-2.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-switch-repair-3.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-switch-repair-4.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-switch-repair-5.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-mirror-repair-1.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-mirror-repair-2.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-new-clipons-1.jpg
    Shortening to do list: display selection switch, mirrors, and adjustable clipons-new-clipons-2.jpg
    Neil1400 likes this.
    Yellow Nelli
    Honda CB1
    Honda CB2 (600 cc)

Name
    will tilston
    Member #
    If you are ever in the market to see please please please let me know, I miss my RS so much and didn't get a chance in Andy's RS 3 years back.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Name
    Christian de Wit
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWill View Post
    If you are ever in the market to see please please please let me know, I miss my RS so much and didn't get a chance in Andy's RS 3 years back.

I'm far from fed up with her and the yellow colour is fantastic, especially just after sunset. One of the other things on my list is to make another luggage rack which is a little more pleasing to the eye. But more importantly, keep riding
    UpNorthWill likes this.
    Yellow Nelli
    Honda CB1
    Honda CB2 (600 cc)

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    will tilston
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    I'm far from fed up with her and the yellow colour is fantastic, especially just after sunset. One of the other things on my list is to make another luggage rack which is a little more pleasing to the eye. But more importantly, keep riding
    Yeah that yellow doesn't half pop

Sponsors