Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tornado tre noise

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
    The fans and the under seat rad may look cool, but they do a piss poor job of keeping things cool.
    If you change the water pump to an electric one capable of twice the flow rate of the mechanical pump, you will find that the radiator and fans work perfectly well. As I've said on a number of occasions, I rode Nell with a flat rear for 10 km in an hour through the mountains with the fans running continuously and she didn't boil.
    I believe tune ecu let’s you programme the fans to come on earlier and there’s a guy on Facebook who’s selling uprated water pumps......
    With the standard system, turning on the fans at a lower temperature does not stop the engine from eventually boiling. It just takes longer.
    The downside of reducing the 'on' temperature is that the 'off' temperature is also lowered, to a point at which they may not turn off until you turn off the ignition.. This happened to me. You are just wearing out the fans for no good reason.

If you replace the oem pump with an uprated mechanical pump, you need to be mindful of its operation at peak revs. It is unlikely to pump at full capacity at those revs due to cavitation. If that happens, and you sustain those revs (eg. trackdays) the chances are very high that the engine will overheat. A bad idea when it is producing 100 kW. It will all go to hell very quickly at those power levels.
    fredzedex likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

No good with spanners.... fredzedex's Avatar
    Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    If you change the water pump to an electric one capable of twice the flow rate of the mechanical pump, you will find that the radiator and fans work perfectly well. As I've said on a number of occasions, I rode Nell with a flat rear for 10 km in an hour through the mountains with the fans running continuously and she didn't boil.

With the standard system, turning on the fans at a lower temperature does not stop the engine from eventually boiling. It just takes longer.
    The downside of reducing the 'on' temperature is that the 'off' temperature is also lowered, to a point at which they may not turn off until you turn off the ignition.. This happened to me. You are just wearing out the fans for no good reason.

If you replace the oem pump with an uprated mechanical pump, you need to be mindful of its operation at peak revs. It is unlikely to pump at full capacity at those revs due to cavitation. If that happens, and you sustain those revs (eg. trackdays) the chances are very high that the engine will overheat. A bad idea when it is producing 100 kW. It will all go to hell very quickly at those power levels.
    I knew you’d be along sooner or later to put me right.

Are you saying a mechanical pump is ok as long as you don’t track it.....?

here's to another year of Benelli riding

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.(sold)

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
    Are you saying a mechanical pump is ok as long as you don’t track it.....?
    You can track it with the aftermarket mechanical pump, but you do need to pay attention to the temperature gauge, and you know how inaccurate that is. Mine points barely into the red when it is at 120C, & about to drop its guts. So for mine, if it is on the red line, I know to take care and do something about letting it cool down. Yours may be different so you should check it against what TuneECU says it is if you plan to explore the limits.

Of course, I no longer have to worry about it. I have an electric pump capable of 38 lpm which has proven to have solved the problem.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Fitted an upgrade mechanical pump to my original tre. Fully concur with errols concerns re cavitation but to date (and limited miles) it has been fine. Certainly takes longer to get hot and not got close peeing itself so far....used to be a regular occurance.
    I have done one very short trackday, which was curtailed by a somewhat painful and very close examination of the grass at craner curves, Donington Park...
    Wasnt on the bike long enough to worry about overheating
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 1199s Panigale for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......to remind me how good modern bikes are...

No good with spanners.... fredzedex's Avatar
    Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Fitted an upgrade mechanical pump to my original tre. Fully concur with errols concerns re cavitation but to date (and limited miles) it has been fine. Certainly takes longer to get hot and not got close peeing itself so far....used to be a regular occurance.
    I have done one very short trackday, which was curtailed by a somewhat painful and very close examination of the grass at craner curves, Donington Park...
    Wasnt on the bike long enough to worry about overheating
    i have one of these pumps coming for the Tnt

fred

here's to another year of Benelli riding

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.(sold)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors