Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tornado non starter

Name
    Alec
    Member #

Tornado non starter

Went out on the Tornado last week, no problms put it in the garage got it out this morning and nothing. Battery is charged and the lights and indicators work and show on the dash but there is nothing when the alarm should reset and nothing else on the dash. At this point I should say that after 5 years of trouble free riding I have had no real reason to take the thing apart to have a look around so I have no idea where the fuse box is or the alarm. Ive heard of problems with the side stand switch and cut off switch but other than that I dont know where to start. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Member #
    I would check the fuse on the starter relay first mate then fuses under seat

Member #
    if not fuses I would suspect the starter relay, located just above the alternator. Had to replace it on both my 900s now. An aftermarket yamaha tdm850 fits and cheap.
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 1199s Panigale for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......to remind me how good modern bikes are...

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

GBo
    Member #
    People have had issues with the immobiliser. Otherwise can you explain more clearly what is happening? Does it turn over? Starter relay click etc

Name
    Alec
    Member #
    I usually turn ignittion on press imoboliser fob, there,s a beep from the imoboliser ,the dash lights up and does it,s check and then I,m off. At the moment there,s no beep and nothing from the dash. There is power to the dash as I have indicator lights and main beam but other than that it,s dead. Checked fuses ok, try different imoboliser fob still nothing. It does appear that the imoboliser is still on. Speaking of which previous bikes have had the imoboliser in the tail. Is there a prefered place for the imboliser on these bikes.
    fredzedex likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Went out on the Tornado last week, no problms put it in the garage got it out this morning and nothing. Battery is charged and the lights and indicators work and show on the dash but there is nothing when the alarm should reset and nothing else on the dash. At this point I should say that after 5 years of trouble free riding I have had no real reason to take the thing apart to have a look around so I have no idea where the fuse box is or the alarm. Ive heard of problems with the side stand switch and cut off switch but other than that I dont know where to start. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
    Sequence is slightly different, my alarms need the key button pressed once , indicators flash , once. Turn key for ignition, dials sweep and neutral light illuminates.. clutch in, hit the start button and away she goes.
    If I forget the fob button of the alarm , and turn the ignition on , the alarm goes off and I have the press the key fob to cancel it.
    Suggest , disconnect the battery, and leave it overnight, no power,zilch .
    re connect the battery and turn the ignition on , dont touch the key fob button, Bike should start. on clutch depress.
    once it has run , turn off and wait for bike to beep and re arm.
    Then press the key fob button , indicators should flash and bike is clear to start.

Try that first .

Name
    Alec
    Member #
    Tried disconnecting the battery for a day. Reconnected and you could hear what I,m assuming is the starter relay but still nothing on the dash, engine not turning over and no beeping from the alarm. Will take the panels off next to try and find the alarm.

Name
    Robin Shedden
    Member #
    The 'old kill switch' thing had me well-flummoxed for a bit after I took it for a ticket. Apparently, many motorcyclists (and mechanics) use this intended technique instead of turning the key. Just sayin'-like is it's a right 'embarrasser'.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Tried disconnecting the battery for a day. Reconnected and you could hear what I,m assuming is the starter relay but still nothing on the dash, engine not turning over and no beeping from the alarm. Will take the panels off next to try and find the alarm.

With no dash light up, you obviously have no neutral light, roll the bike forward or back a couple of meters, I have had the gearbox find a sort of "not neutral and not in gear" particularly on stopping.
    If you roll the bike, no clutch, it sort of ticks and then clunk selects the gear, either 2nd or first, depending if you tapped down or up to find N. Take it all the way down rocking back and for, then snick it back up into Neutral, check it by rolling the bike.

Kill switch, just check it is not "rocking" half way , on is on and off is off, I never touch mine. It is unlikely to be a terminal failure as you had previously ridden the bike , it must be something when you stopped the bike and got off it,

Alarm, is the key fob Talking to the bloody thing ?
    I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, Italian Day in Cardiff Bay. Rode down on the RS, parked it up all day, went back to the bike, Zilch, bike did not know I was there, had to walk to a camera shop and get a new battery, put it in and bingo , beep, light flash and she came to life.

Name
    Alec
    Member #
    Thanks for the info. Tried all of the above still nothing. Have heard about problems with the kill switch so I never use it. Have tried the spare fob, whats the chance of them both having flat batteries. I,m a long way from being a mechanic but I dont understand why the imoboliser does not beep if the problem is with the bike so its panels off this weekend to try and find it. Looks like it will be a process of illimination.Anyway any ideas more than welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors