Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Engine cut out When Warm

Name
    Haydn Davies
    Member #

Engine cut out When Warm

As per the title, anyone had this issue, i rode about 5miles and the engine just stopped, im not a speed demon, its 30mph limit the whole way and i always nurse the Nelli anyway
    It just stopped like a switch, not coughing or spluttering
    Before i start changing sensors etc just wondered if anyone else might have suffered this

I started the bike tonight and it was fine until shortly after the thermostat opened the bike just stopped, coil seems the obvious culprit but could be anything

Any help gratefully accepted
    1982 Z 750 L2, 2008 Aprillia Tuono Factory V2 Gold Wheels, 2002 Tornado Tre LE #81, 1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 7/11 Street-fighter Magazine Bike of the year 2004

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Did it cut out while above 2000 rpm?
    Or when you de-clutched to come to a stop?

When it is cold, the ECU map keeps the idle speed higher and the mixture richer, making it less likely to stall.
    When warmed up, the idle speed set-point is 1200, and the AFR is 13:1 (unless it has been adjusted lower - like mine).
    haydn likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Robin Shedden
    Member #
    Sounds like a sticky stepper. A few rides should self-sort. I've had it and a good old 'Italian Tune-up' is the best medicine.
    haydn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    I started the bike tonight and it was fine until shortly after the thermostat opened the bike just stopped,
    This is the bit that gets me. just don't see why the bike should cut out when the thermostat opens???
    Does this happen consistently or was it it a one-off?
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

GBo
    Member #
    I would think a coil would give a misfire then run on two. Can you hear the pump running?. Can you stick tuneecu on it?
    haydn likes this.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    this is a strange one...

only two things spring to mind the side stand switch not making a good connection .

and the most likely one could be as the bike warms up and gets to a good working temperature the mixture goes way off and floods the chambers as the stepper motor isn't functioning as it should.
    maybe
    haydn likes this.

Name
    Haydn Davies
    Member #
    Thanks guys ive had tune ecu working ok on it previously, i stuck it on yesterday to see if i could see a error code but it now just sits showing the data in the small box on the left but all the check menus are greyed out with the green connection light continually flickering, it might be the process of connection to the laptop, i have the ignition on but i didnt think you need to start the bike i got so miffed off with it i just left it ill give it another go soon
    1982 Z 750 L2, 2008 Aprillia Tuono Factory V2 Gold Wheels, 2002 Tornado Tre LE #81, 1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 7/11 Street-fighter Magazine Bike of the year 2004

GBo
    Member #
    No shouldn’t need to start the bike for tuneecu to connect. But it is wise to remove the lights fuse and put a charger on the bike and laptop. Trying to remember if it should be solid green for connection, and I can’t try it on mine as it’s in bits.
    haydn likes this.

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Do you notice a strong fuel smell from the exhaust when the bike is idling with a hot engine?

I've noticed on my RS that if the throttle closed position/air bleed, CO trim and stepper position isn't set up correctly than the mixture can vary enormously as the engine warms up, even with a correctly operating stepper. The first time I set it up with the airbleeds fully closed and the throttles very close to closed (used the piece of paper trick) and as the engine got hot (e.g. in traffic) it went so rich that it would cut out all by itself at idle, though the stink from the exhaust was a bit of a giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    No shouldn’t need to start the bike for tuneecu to connect. But it is wise to remove the lights fuse and put a charger on the bike and laptop. Trying to remember if it should be solid green for connection, and I can’t try it on mine as it’s in bits.
    Form memory it flashes green during the initial handshaking with the ECU and then turns solid green when connected.
    Last edited by mikerj; 08-04-2020 at 06:01 AM.
    haydn likes this.

Member #
    I had issues with a faulty crank sensor matt at bennetts found as it had me stumped. Bike used to cut out when it got warm which was 5 mins away from home. So may be wirth checking.?
    haydn likes this.
    Pre benelli; triumph speed four, Kawasaki en 500 Vulcan, Suzuki corona gsxr 750 99 srad, Honda rvt 400 nc35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors