Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GBo
  • 2 Post By StingerWolf
  • 1 Post By Sprocket

Thread: Tornado TRE 900 - Clutch slipping

Member #

Tornado TRE 900 - Clutch slipping

I bought a 2007 Tornado TRE 900 from a dealer( Non Benelli) in December 2019.
    The bike was a trade in and only had 7,300 miles (Confirmed by MOT certificates.)
    The deal was that they would keep it for a couple of months, due to the winter.
    It was delivered in February, but I had not intended to put it on the road til April, 2020.

Then we had the Covid lockdown, and I did not get to ride it until July 2020. (Well after the 30 day warranty expired)
    I rode it cautiously a couple of times to get used to it. I did no more than 200 miles in total as I thought the clutch was slipping.
    I contacted the dealer and they kindly agreed to pick the bike up and take it the 130 miles to their garage.
    They stripped, cleaned and checked the clutch. On road testing, it was still slipping.

They contacted Benelli, who agreed to supply a new clutch under warranty!
    The clutch was fitted and the bike returned to me.

Sadly, I have only ridden the bike less than 200 gentle miles but the clutch is still slipping.
    The dealer has gone over and beyond their responsibilities, time and expense.
    They even put on a new pair of tyres as the MOT tester past it, but gave an advisory notice as they were close to the legal limit.
    They could have easily and quite rightly said that it was well past their warranty, and to go away!

Unfortunately, I have a bike that is keen to rev over 7 - 8000 RPM, but will not accelerate, due to the clutch slipping.

Can anybody suggest a remedy to my problem.

JIM
    Central Scotland

Name
    StingerWolf
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AJR2182 View Post

....They contacted Benelli, who agreed to supply a new clutch under warranty!

Sadly, I have only
    JIM
    Central Scotland
    A used Tornado 900 bought in 2019 no way Benelli will send parts unter warrenty
    If the clutch parts are really new then It is possible your non Benelli dealer used the wrong oil.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G985F mit Tapatalk

Member #
    Thanks for the reply Stingerwolf.

The dealer is the biggest seller of bikes in Scotland.
    So I believe them when they said Benelli supplied the clutch FREE of Charge! (The service manager was delighted)
    As they are not Benelli dealers, they were very happy with the after sales from MotoGB.

As to your suggestion, I was also wondering if they had used the wrong oil.
    I will check it out.

​JIM

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

GBo
    Member #
    If they are a bike dealer it would seem doubtful that the oil is that wrong. I would check cable slack is in spec first, then check adjuster on clutch . If this makes no difference check clutch stack height and pressure springs. Check Errols website for info at Engenia.com.
    the other possibility is that it has in the past had the wrong oil type and may be worth cleaning the plates with brake cleaner.
    AJR2182 likes this.

Name
    StingerWolf
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    If they are a bike dealer it would seem doubtful that the oil is that wrong. I would check cable slack is in spec first, then check adjuster on clutch . If this makes no difference check clutch stack height and pressure springs. Check Errols website for info at Engenia.com.
    the other possibility is that it has in the past had the wrong oil type and may be worth cleaning the plates with brake cleaner.
    I didn't mean that the dealer used the absolut wrong or cheapest oil he could find but we had some users in the german forum who used Premium oil but it didn't work well and causes slipping clutch in most cases it helped to clean the plates with Brake cleaner and use proofed working sort of oil if the oil was not that long within

Gesendet von meinem SM-G985F mit Tapatalk

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by StingerWolf View Post
    A used Tornado 900 bought in 2019 no way Benelli will send parts unter warrenty
    Yes, I found that hard to believe too. It sounds extremely unlikely. Either the dealer is telling you bullshit stories or you misunderstood.
    If a complete new clutch was indeed fitted, it should work properly. If it doesn't, then whoever fitted it has done something wrong and it shouldn't have left the workshop until it was sorted.
    ron d likes this.

Sponsors