Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Engenia

Thread: An unusual coil stick problem

Name
    Sam Baines
    Member #

An unusual coil stick problem

So was out for a ride today, and it started running on only 2 cylinders , like normal coil stick issues except it when you get above 3k rpm it come back to 3 cylinders and runs fine. Then soon as you drop below 3k rpm it goes back to 2 cylinders. Last time a coil went it was random when it would cut out , but this is so consistent at 3k. Does that sound like a coil on the way or or could it be something else ?
    Also It did this a few months ago on a ride , but then then was fine for a few months and now it's done it again ?
    Benelli tornado tre.
    MV Agusta f4
    Aprilia tuono
    Bmw 330cd
    Instagram- sam.baines22

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Very odd..
    Intermittent connection maybe , or when it's under load at low speed the spark plug isn't giving it's best ? .
    You've checked the side stand switch and the crank sensor I'm guessing ...
    Hope you find it .
    Rick

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy92 View Post
    ..like normal coil stick issues except it when you get above 3k rpm it come back to 3 cylinders and runs fine. Then soon as you drop below 3k rpm it goes back to 2 cylinders. Last time a coil went it was random when it would cut out , but this is so consistent at 3k. Does that sound like a coil on the way or or could it be something else ?
    This is not an unusual failure mode. Expect that coil to fail completely at some stage.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Swap the coils around and see of the fault follows the coil to another cylinder.

If the coil checks out, it could be a spark plug. I've had spark plugs behave like that occasionally.

Member #
    So was out for a ride today, and it started running on only 2 cylinders , like normal coil stick issues except it when you get above 3k rpm it come back to 3 cylinders and runs fine. Then soon as you drop below 3k rpm it goes back to 2 cylinders. Last time a coil went it was random when it would cut out , but this is so consistent at 3k. Does that sound like a coil on the way or or could it be something else ?
    Also It did this a few months ago on a ride , but then then was fine for a few months and now it's done it again ?
    I'm not helping, but I had the same problem on Saturday ride... It gets better after longer ride, but after restart it is the same - like you said: above 3,000 rpm it's fine, below goes to two cylinders.

This was my first ride since I bought a bike. I have brand new sparks btw...

Name
    Sam Baines
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    This is not an unusual failure mode. Expect that coil to fail completely at some stage.
    Oh well, time to strip her down again and play guess the faulty coil stick. Hopefully it plays ball and keep being faulty whilst I identify it. Done it a few times now so getting good at it ! I may even get my camchain swapped whilst it's in bits and the weather is abit iffy.
    I've got 3 bikes and can't use any of them at the minute. Good old Italians 😂
    Benelli tornado tre.
    MV Agusta f4
    Aprilia tuono
    Bmw 330cd
    Instagram- sam.baines22

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Oh well, time to strip her down again and play guess the faulty coil stick.
    No guessing required!
    Or stripping for that matter.
    Use an infrared temperature sensor and focus on each header in turn at idle, when running on two cylinders. The one that isn't pulling it's weight will be cooler by some tens of degrees Celsius - can't remember exactly, but it is obvious
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors