Bubbling fuel tank
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bubbling fuel tank

Member #

Bubbling fuel tank

After years of owning Triumphs and managing to dodge the bubbling paintwork issues with resin fuel tanks, it's caught up with me on the Nelli.
    Went out to the garage yesterday to fire it up for the 1st time in ages and discovered the blisters when I took off the bike cover.
    Gutted as was probably gonna put the bike up for sale this year as moved house just over a year ago and looking less and less I'll get much time out on it as so many other things to do.
    Now I suppose I could try and rescue the tank or was wondering if anyone here has a clean tank without bubbles they're thinking of shifting then let me know.

Cheers
    Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bubbling fuel tank-20210110_194721_1610365335583.jpg   Bubbling fuel tank-20210110_194734_1610365346467.jpg  

Member #
    Mine has the same (a little less actually)... its a 15 years old bike

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    After years of owning Triumphs and managing to dodge the bubbling paintwork issues with resin fuel tanks, it's caught up with me on the Nelli.
    Went out to the garage yesterday to fire it up for the 1st time in ages and discovered the blisters when I took off the bike cover.
    Gutted as was probably gonna put the bike up for sale this year as moved house just over a year ago and looking less and less I'll get much time out on it as so many other things to do.
    Now I suppose I could try and rescue the tank or was wondering if anyone here has a clean tank without bubbles they're thinking of shifting then let me know.

Cheers
    Carl
    Most of it has been caused by leaving fuel in the tank ,and storing it . You can try draining the tank, and leave the fuel cap open in a warm dry place.
    I have had the bubbles draw back in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Most of it has been caused by leaving fuel in the tank ,and storing it . You can try draining the tank, and leave the fuel cap open in a warm dry place.
    I have had the bubbles draw back in.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'll try that as a first step as hadn't heard much about these tanks bubbling. The Triumphs seemed to suffer quite badly with it so always kept little to no fuel in them but didn't get away with it this time🤦‍♂️.

Cheers

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Tornado tanks are lined in an attempt to stop them bubbling. This is largely successful, but a couple have failed, like yours. I can only assume that the lining has been breached or wasn't done properly in the first place.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Sorry to say but it’s ‘Petroleum solvent’ Penetration and nothing can be done that’s a guaranteed repair. The tank can be lined if your confident that you can ‘key’ the plastic tank.

Sponsors