Running Hot ?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Hot ?

Member #

Running Hot ?

Took her out for a run this afternoon and noticed she seems to be running quite hot. The fans were on constantly and the temp in traffic sawed above the 100 mark into the red. Once back onto the open rd she calmed down a little below 100 but never to the 90 mark. She only 5 week old and is still beeing run in. Mileage is just over 400. Any idea's would be appreciated. Obviously I will be phoning the dealer tomoz but sould I be worried.

When I parked up, guess what the first question was. That's right, "whats the fans for" He HE.

Cheers

Member #

Change

In the first 300 or so miles was it running cooler? It does sound hot to me, even if we are in June/july now, as took my baby out today and she doesn't get much above 90 unless in heavy traffic and soon drops to 90ish when moving again. The dealer should ask about history - so only 400 miles not much, but has it always been like this and if not when did it change and did anything else happen at the same time i.e. fitting top fairing can foul the air intakes if not fitted carefully. Hope it is ok, but let us know how it turns out.

Name
    Marc-O
    Member #
    I have had these over-heating problems for a while, with no much luck 2 weeks ago, since the bike shut down itself. I still have not managed to restart it.

A friend who has got a tornado 1130 had a switch installed to start the fans on-demand has he believes the bike starts the fans too late. I am wondering if he is not right.

I think mine has just a wrong mounting/setup done, has it has always done that.

Where do you get your bike from?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Make sure you don't have any air in the coolant system which is causing an air-lock. Best way to do this is to stand at the brake side of the bike and remove the radiator cap then hold the palm of your left hand over the top to seal the opening. Reach under with your right hand and give the large coolant hoses a good squeeze to try and move any air in the system up into the expansion tank. If the water level drops any, top her back up again then go for a ride.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Member #
    To be honest I never noticed on my first run ou with her to whitby I was probably too excited, it was just yesterday that I glanced down and thought, "eek that don't look right".
    Got t from Motostrada in Shipley, taken in her in a week on Tuesday for checking. Guy on phone says it may be a faulty guage but I did tell him that it smelled warm to me as that's the only way I can describe it. I'm sure its just teething problems. Will let you know.

Name
    Jeramia Gobshite
    Member #
    Here there and everywhere. A bit like a tramp really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurencewhite View Post
    Make sure you don't have any air in the coolant system which is causing an air-lock. Best way to do this is to stand at the brake side of the bike and remove the radiator cap then hold the palm of your left hand over the top to seal the opening. Reach under with your right hand and give the large coolant hoses a good squeeze to try and move any air in the system up into the expansion tank. If the water level drops any, top her back up again then go for a ride.
    I was just about to say what Laurie had wrote. I had a similar problem with my last Tre and this cured it.
    Another way to do this is to start the engine with the cap on loose and make sure the bike is upright and not over on the stand, then slowly remove the cap and top up if needed. For god sake don't do this after you've just been for a ride as I don't want to be held responsible for scorching hot coolant squirting you in the ol' boat race

Al
    Creating quality (and baby batter) since 1866.

Name
    Kurt P
    Member #
    Its easy to sort out the temperature issues

Just stick a SATNAV in front of the gauge

No good with spanners.... fredzedex's Avatar
    Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    like it!!

Name
    Nfitz photos
    Member #

Moto Strada in Shipley

katanabandit - I've purchased Moto Guzzies (3) and my Moto Morini from Moto Strada and dealt with them for the past 8yrs and my advice would be to make sure you dont get fobbed off from the new guys in "front of shop".
    Mark (finance) and Jason (mechanic) started out on a much smaller scale, but in the last 2 yrs in there new fancy premisis they have had to recruit a pleathero of "sales" types who in my humble opinion are full of bullshit.

Make sure you speak to Jason and insist on what youve found - its highly unlikely to be a gauge.

If you bought new then you can get off them one of there domonstrators whilst they sort it out - got a RSV4 in there!!!!

Send me a PM if you fancy a ride out. Im in Silsden nr Skipton.

Name
    adrian starkey
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Im in Silsden nr Skipton.
    the home of dougie lampkin
    I AM THE STIG!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors