Benelli Forum banner

Quick release fuel line connector

8K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Engenia 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am back again with another question! This time its about removing the petrol tank. From Errols super helpful site, it looks like I should cut the fuel line and fit a quick-release connector. This one looks ideal, but is it OK?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=BIKFLCP06

Also should I just lift the tank as far as possible and just cut the fuel line in a convenient straight place to remove it, or do I have to get the special tool to remove the fuel line from the fitting at the base of the tank? Then cut the line afterwards to fit a connector?

Thanks for any help, Keith

#11 ·
So in the interests of getting it up successfully I will order a 6mm size. Is there really no way of disconnecting from the tank without the special tool?
I used the 8mm one, but had to expand the hoses with a ball ended allen key before I had any hope of sliding the connector into position. Even then, I didn't get it all the way in. (Don't start Rob)
You can disconnect the line without the special tool, but you risk breaking the tabs - as I did. Use a pair of long nose pliers (bent is even better)
Easier with the tool though. I'll let you borrow mine if you like, but maybe someone is closer to you? PM me if you need it.

#7 ·
you dont need the special tool ive taken 1xle tank off a standard tre numerous 1x cafe racer and never a trek all just to change centre coil its the only thing i can do mechanichaly on a benelli ,my tool kits have this part in never new what it was for till found this forum .
center coil change on tre 1hr tops hardest part undoing and doing up throttle bodies

so save your cash .
needless to say others will differ ,but thats the way i do it .

#8 ·
There are a couple of small plastic 'lugs' on the bottom of the tank that need to be compressed which will allow the fuel line to be removed from the tank.

The tool just makes this a little easier.

#13 ·
I just wonder that all you guys want to keep the original fuel line, which give just problems. I removed the original fuel line, bought some aftermarket tube and installed that with the quick release connector. So, I will be able to take it off wherever I want. I just do it once. And the original fuel line don´t keep any advantage for me.

#15 ·
The change was done quickly after I bought the bike with a mileage of 1200mls. Now, I have 5800km and I never experienced any probs.

Besides that, you can find the tubes with different qualities. For sure, I don´t mean the transparent plastic tubes that you use for bleeding the brakes.

#16 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to just cut the fuel tube and have now fitted the 6mm size of quick release connector.

The next job is to carry on dismantling, and to remove the air box to get at the throttle cables as one needs to be replaced.

Well, that is not an easy job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After undoing everything in sight, the airbox still would not come off the carb intakes, so I had a look at the on-line manual. Nothing about removing the air box in there. So I did a search on this wonderful forum and of course, Errols website has all the info once again.

So now I will track down a 250mm long 3mm hex key to undo the clamp screws that I can't even feel, never mind see! And I thought that a Honda V4 intake was difficult to remove.

At least I can't say anyone said this would be easy! Cheers!

ps I will post a few pictures of where I am with the rebuild over the weekend.

Keith

#19 ·
And I thought that a Honda V4 intake was difficult to remove
Keith, the Honda VF750F airbox is WAY harder to remove, especially when the tubes harden with age. They're not in line, so the tubes have to distort more.
Once you get it off (10 turns of the screws should do it), wipe the tops of the throttle bodies with silicon grease. They'll slip back on with ease.
BTW, the clamps have a spigot that fits in a notch in the rubber tube to hold it in position. Best to locate this before tightening them.
I don't use a mirror anymore. I've done it so often, the allen driver knows where to go. (Kinda like sex with a life-long partner.)

#21 ·
Thanks for the tips guys and the airbox is now off. I couldn't help thinking about Errols " sex with a long term partner" comment while putting the driver into the screw head though!!!!

Definitely much easier in the end than my old VF500 once I knew where the clamp screws were. Hopefully I wont get as much practice with this airbox as I did taking off and re-fitting the VF500 carbs!

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.