stepper Information
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: stepper Information

Name
    steven.p tornado 1130
    Member #

stepper Information

Need someone to enlighten me about steppers.
    Just replaced mine with a triumph equivalent and it works i can see it move up and down.

Lets say the stepper is meant to be set to 15 steps on a 1130 TNT, or 30-35 on a 900. When a stepper is all the way up ( port holes closed or open i dont know)) is it at 0 steps or some number like 60.

By the way when the stepper is at the top of its journey is it closing the port holes or opening them up. When i turn the throttle the stepper moves down which makes no sense to me.

Someone please explain.

I thought the stepper would close as you turn the throttle and open as you come off the throttle to help with the idle.

Anyhow need some expert advice.

Member #

Pls check

the best Benelli web site on the Earth, www.engenia.com.au. There the stepper behaviour is explained both for 900 and 1130. As usual, it depends...

Name
    Colin Smith
    Member #
    What seems to be the case with the stepper motor is, 0 is the top position, it has 180 steps, if it is on say 30 steps on idle and you open the throttle it will also open the stepper,ie higher number and will be opening the ports further.Higher number more air.
    I cant be sure but it is most likely that as you open the throttle it will eventually open to 180 steps (ports fully open)
    When the throttle is shut or for that matter when held constant or decelarating the ecu will decide where to place the stepper,on the info of sensors.
    I know on the rotax buells the stepper can be set (as on race ecu) to be open further on closed throttle deceleration,this is done to prevent excess engine braking. Benelli may have programmed similar mode of op.
    The ecu also adjusts the stepper position in reference to the barometric pressure (altitude) (at least thats what the manual says )
    colin.
    Colintornado

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by colintornado View Post
    What seems to be the case with the stepper motor is, 0 is the top position, it has 180 steps, if it is on say 30 steps on idle and you open the throttle it will also open the stepper,ie higher number and will be opening the ports further.Higher number more air.
    I cant be sure but it is most likely that as you open the throttle it will eventually open to 180 steps (ports fully open)
    When the throttle is shut or for that matter when held constant or decelarating the ecu will decide where to place the stepper,on the info of sensors.
    I know on the rotax buells the stepper can be set (as on race ecu) to be open further on closed throttle deceleration,this is done to prevent excess engine braking. Benelli may have programmed similar mode of op.
    The ecu also adjusts the stepper position in reference to the barometric pressure (altitude) (at least thats what the manual says )
    colin.
    You've enlightened us still further Colin I'll add this to your existing comments on my site, if you don't mind?

BTW, I'm changing the ECU & many of the sensors on my Porsche to a modern system. Rather than a stepper Idle Air Control Valve, pulse width modulated solenoid IACV's are preferred, since they react faster, and the engine is therefore less likely to stall when the revs are dropped to idle. Sound familiar?
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.p View Post
    Need someone to enlighten me about steppers.
    Just replaced mine with a triumph equivalent and it works i can see it move up and down.

Lets say the stepper is meant to be set to 15 steps on a 1130 TNT, or 30-35 on a 900. When a stepper is all the way up ( port holes closed or open i dont know)) is it at 0 steps or some number like 60.

By the way when the stepper is at the top of its journey is it closing the port holes or opening them up. When i turn the throttle the stepper moves down which makes no sense to me.

Someone please explain.

I thought the stepper would close as you turn the throttle and open as you come off the throttle to help with the idle.

Anyhow need some expert advice.
    Which model of triumph did you use the stepper motor from

Name
    pilgrim
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    You've enlightened us still further Colin I'll add this to your existing comments on my site, if you don't mind?

BTW, I'm changing the ECU & many of the sensors on my Porsche to a modern system. Rather than a stepper Idle Air Control Valve, pulse width modulated solenoid IACV's are preferred, since they react faster, and the engine is therefore less likely to stall when the revs are dropped to idle. Sound familiar?
    Errol,
    though my stepper's working fine since its overhaul, the 'pulse width modulated solenoid IACV' sounds like a good idea if it's small enough to fit in a Benelli, but only if you'd be considering the change yourself?
    "the greatest compliment possible is imitation, voila!" a frog quote
    Cheers.
    pilgrim
    Motty AT: DNA airfilter: no-EXUP, no airbox flaps or manual idle-adjust: Shorai LFX18A1-12BS Battery: Eagle Screens Touring II modified: TNT Soft-Panniers & Sliders: Touring Seat: Renthal Fatbar: Best Recorded Mileage: 52.2 mpg, 43.47 mpg (US), 5.41 litres per 100km, 18.48km per litre

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    Errol, though my stepper's working fine since its overhaul, the 'pulse width modulated solenoid IACV' sounds like a good idea if it's small enough to fit in a Benelli,
    The one I'm using on the 944 is off a Hyundai Excel. It's 5x bigger than the Benelli stepper. May be able to find a smaller version, but you'd need another ECU to drive it - it only requires 1 control wire. A stepper takes at least 4. The one I'm using on the 944 can be programmed for either, so it was an easy change.
    So no, I don't have any plans to change the Benelli IACV. Too big a job.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors