TuneECU and TREK401 = Perfect for me
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bpoulter

Thread: TuneECU and TREK401 = Perfect for me

Member #

TuneECU and TREK401 = Perfect for me

Last saturday was the perfect day for a ride. Light traffic, no cops and the Benelli was running perfectly, although it didn't start out that way. In fact it stalled and struggled to restart backfiring and filling the street with black smoke.
    Name:  10974742_10207093738356060_5829545287675245641_o.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  433.3 KB

I Also had to sort the pc issues caused by a dead nvram backup battery, a duff usb to rs232 converter and a corrupted win xp install.
    Then the rs232 gender bender was inverted one side to the other meaning I got pins 2 and 5 wrong.
    At 11pm last Friday night tune ecu finally communicated and to my surprise there were no error codes present.

After trying to reset the tps I gave up and saved the file in the ecu to the pc gritted my teeth and uploaded trek401 as it was the closest match to my mods.
    It all went smoothly and after the process the bike started, but as it was midnight I couldn't rev it out enough to clear the fouling plugs caused by the stop start running during testing.
    Sat morning. Once I could coax it to run and did several laps around the block to warm it up, it started fine with no black smoke and I felt confident to head off on a ride around Mangrove and Wisemans.
    Bike is running great on both maps and no more black smoke. Runs as smooth as a Japanese bike. Should have come like this from the factory.

Thanks Alain Fontaine for TuneECU and whoever developed trek401.
    ianh likes this.

Member #
    Hi,
    What values of CO (min & global) do you have with the 401 map? And what map were you before? 103?
    Thank you!
    Enjoy the Nelly!
    Last edited by scaffa; 10-16-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Member #
    The map from its last official tune up was Trek02

O2 was 1.41 and rich I set it to Johnny O's recomendation of 2 well 1.998 but its a bit lean as it does massive bangs on the over run from full rpm.Still a bit glitchy on off but at normal twisty riding its perfect. In town not so much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Dan
    Member #
    Based on this I just tried the TREK401 tune as well. Holy crap! This is night & day difference (coming from the TREK02 map as well). Just one ride so far, but...

It seems to start quicker. It's fired on the first crank (or half crank) every time so far. Previous tune would do this sometimes as well, but usually took a couple cranks.

The fast / cold idle after startup ramps down much quicker. Not sure that this is good or bad, just different. I always did think it kept its fast idle longer than needed before though.

The whole tune is smoother, less burbbly. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems there's less vibration in the pegs & handlebars. Also, with the old tune, there was a spot when accelerating (around 2500 - 3000 rpm) where it got very rumbly and vibration went up substantially. It was only in that rpm range when accelerating. It always made me wonder if it was the drive chain or something. I didn't notice this on the 401 tune.

Throttle is less snatchy, & steady cruise is smooth. It seemed before that I was always either coasting or accelerating (briskly) at the slightest twist of the throttle. Most noticeable at very slow (offroad) speeds & at highway cruise. The low rpm / slow seems better but I can't say for sure until I get some dirt time on it. But highway cruise is definitely better. Before I could never just get a steady power output. I'd go from coasting / decelerating & adding a very slight throttle input to keep speed up would result in a surge forward. It was like the throttle was always on/off/on/off/on/off etc. Could never get just a steady, smooth power level. I'd get used to it, but switching back and forth between Nelli & my Speed Triple it was very obvious. The 401 tune is vastly improved with no surging at very small throttle changes.

The TREK02 tune was always overly rich it seemed. I did notice that most of the 401 tune is leaned out a bit, especially in the low rpm / low throttle areas. I'm thinking that's why the startup / warmup / low throttle areas are smoother. Mid range is comparable. The 401 is slightly richer in some areas, leaner in others. But full throttle, the 401 is definitely richer. I *really* want to get this dyno tuned, but for now this is a step up.

Anyways, I'm liking the 401 tune so far

--Dan

Member #
    Changing the CO2 from 1.41 to 1.998 has made the startup and idle to warmup possible on the old setting it would belch black smoke on each twist of the throttle.

I need to set the throttle bodies now I think and maybe move the CO2 a little richer perhaps as I still have a bit of a jerky spot coming from closed throttle to 1/4 open and also if you hold it at a small throttle opening commuting in Sydneys traffic.

However as that means removing the airbox I'll do it next service at the 50,000kms.

More fun than a KLR650 lonegunman's Avatar
    Name
    Seth
    Member #
    I don't much care for the flat spot at 3500 rpm. That's like *exactly* where I need to twist the throttle to make things go.

Member #
    Have changed the CO2 to 1.897 much better off closed throttle.

Will run this for a while and then try 1.85

Sponsors