Went on my first run today since changing the idle trim on map TREK401. No stalls in 150 km of varied town and country riding. It happily pulled up-hill at idle in first, without a trace of fussiness for the first time ever. I snapped it to full throttle from idle in first and very quickly hit the rev limiter in 3 gears, without missing a beat (before backing-off for fear of kangaroos or booking agents). My mate following said it puffed-out some black smoke but I don't know if that was caused by the rev limiter. While it seemed to run perfectly today, it has not been hot weather, only 26 degrees Celsius, but I hope the improvement will be sustained when the weather warms-up. This comes after scrutiny and testing on the paddock stand, when I found the "Economy" map made it run rough and blow black smoke, with Lambda sensor numbers around a rich 0.85, without load, at the revs I tried. On the Power map the Lambda sensor numbers oscillated around 1.0, as they should. That explains why on the 1000 km run home from Philip Island last month it gave better economy on the Power map. On the stand it was a bit rough below 5000 rpm on the Power map with no load but I wonder if that may have been caused by fouling from earlier running on the overly rich "Economy Map". This is my first experience scrutinising EFI maps after messing with carburettors over nearly 50 years. With the help of you forum contributors I think I am learning how to get the best from this beast!
Re finding neutral, with the hydraulic clutch on my 2013 it became much better after I adjusted the rod on the actual clutch lever. Re fueling I think they are always going to be fussy with the original injectors. I have had mine remapped on a dyno and its 110% better, but will still hesitate sometimes.
I had intended to get mine dyno mapped but I am reluctant to spend another $900 when a Z25 assembly, ECU and clutch housing have already cost me a small fortune. The latest expense is another rear tyre. It had only done 2500 km on Friday when I got a nail thru the tread on an angle and back into the sidewall. Anyhow I enjoy solving my problems myself and I reckon I'm winning. I would love to see your map though, if you are willing and able to share.
Willing, just not able as I have no cable for it. :(
Trevor, perhaps I can knock-up another one and send it over in return for a copy of your map. I have a few things on at the moment but I will put it on my To-Do list.
That would be great thanks. My wife pointed out that it still blows a bit of smoke (fuel) as I rode past her at the bus stop this morning, so it's still not perfect, but way better than when I bought it, then it was a case of everyone knew where I was going, just follow the billowing trail of black smoke. :p
It's feasible Engenia might have a cable , I'll ask him.
I've got one for the Tornado's Sagem. Not sure if it needs modifying to talk to the Trek's Walbro.
Good point, I hadn't really thought about the different ECU, doh!
Yeh, Walbro needs a different cable. I ordered another USB to Serial cable (with a Prolific PL2303 RA chip to boost the USB voltage). In a safe place somewhere I have the Serial and Superseal sockets needed for the adapter bit. My wife has scheduled me a busy week but after that I should have a moment to find the sockets and crimp them to 3 stand wire for a complete cable. The bike is running better than ever now. It always went great when thrashed but didn't like very low speeds. On Friday it used 5.6 L/100km for 300-odd km at the rural speed limit in warm weather, without a missed beat, even idling at 12 km/hr for a few 100 metres around the paddock at Mallala race track. The increase from 1.0 to 1.5 idle CO setting has made a world of difference. It now idles smoothly and is happy to pull with the throttle closed, which it would not do before. Running on a paddock stand the Lambda sensor feedback shows there is still a small lean spot at 2000 rpm on 2% throttle. I will address that after I have fixed a more urgent issue - a fork seal pissing all over my brake disk. I guess Nellie created a new gremlin to test my commitment now that I seem to be winning the alternator drive, ECU, clutch housing and drive sprocket challenges. Perhaps when the seal is fixed I will strap a tablet to the tank so I can check the mixture under load. The challenge then will be to also watch where I am going.