Stalls when hot et al - Page 4
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Stalls when hot et al

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi Peter have you checked that the regulator is working correctly and producing the correct voltage ?
    I've seen bikes loose the clocks before from a fried or under charged battery . Just a thought

Member #
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tuneecu said I had 12.4 volts when I was using it.
    Regarding the vacuum, I may have created the problem. When I first installed the denso injectors the retaining clips kept coming loose from the fuel supply resulting in the injectors sliding down into the throttle bodies. After three attempts to get them to stay in place I fitted some shims to the bottom of the injectors forcing them to stay seated in the fuel supply. I may have then created an air leak at the throttle bodies. How do I test for a vacuum leak? This all seems like a bit of a black art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    • Look for a possible vacuum leak. If fuel has sealed it the engine will run properly. When the fuel is drawn away the leak starts, leaning out the mixture and creating a misfire. It'll be "spitting back" through the throttle bodies.
    • When your trip reset the battery voltage will have dropped below that required to hold it up. I don't know the circumstances around that loss. You need to find out why it happened. The injector light came on for a reason. TuneECU / Axone could tell you what it was. That would be worth knowing.
    • To get TuneECU running again, there is a procedure someone came up with on here a number of years ago. I think I copied it and it's on my HDD somewhere. Alternatively, hook up an Axone. It will communicate and solve the problem TuneECU is having.
    Sent from my MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tuneecu said I had 12.4 volts when I was using it.
    Regarding the vacuum, I may have created the problem. When I first installed the denso injectors the retaining clips kept coming loose from the fuel supply resulting in the injectors sliding down into the throttle bodies. After three attempts to get them to stay in place I fitted some shims to the bottom of the injectors forcing them to stay seated in the fuel supply. I may have then created an air leak at the throttle bodies. How do I test for a vacuum leak? This all seems like a bit of a black art.

If I remember correctly, 12.4V is dangerously low for TuneECU. You should always connect a charger when using it.

Use WD40 to check for a vacuum leak. It'll seal it up temporarily and the engine will change the way it is running.

When installing the injectors, smear the orings with silicon grease to help them to slip into place.
    Also, try installing the injectors into the rail first and clipping them in place before slipping all three into the throttle bodies.
    RobShed and Redbaron57 like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks, I'll pull it down again and use silicone grease. I actually had the injectors tested by an injection mechanic in Maroochydore and he told me to use olive oil
    Re the clips - I did seat them first in the rail, even tried tying them on with wire, but the moment they got fuel pressure at least one would unclip and slide down into the throttle body.
    I'll also try tuneecu again with battery charger on. The bike won't hold a charge, it has a new battery fitted by Euro Bikes in Noosa, but I get maybe 6 goes straight starting it before it starts to go flat. It is connecte to the trickle charger all the time when not running
    If I remember correctly, 12.4V is dangerously low for TuneECU. You should always connect a charger when using it.

Use WD40 to check for a vacuum leak. It'll seal it up temporarily and the engine will change the way it is running.

When installing the injectors, smear the orings with silicon grease to help them to slip into place.
    Also, try installing the injectors into the rail first and clipping them in place before slipping all three into the throttle bodies.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Re the clips - I did seat them first in the rail, even tried tying them on with wire, but the moment they got fuel pressure at least one would unclip and slide down into the throttle body.
    Something weird's going on! There shouldn't be enough room for the injectors to move. The base should be bottoming in the body and the top should be fully inserted into the rail. The clips should hold them into the rail with ease. They should not be popping out even with the 45-50 psi fuel pressure behind them.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Yes, I thought they were the wrong size at first but they are the same size as the ones I replaced. This what I put in. [https://i]

30lb 315cc Benelli TNT 1130 12-Hole Fuel Injector Upgrade Brand New

Something weird's going on! There shouldn't be enough room for the injectors to move. The base should be bottoming in the body and the top should be fully inserted into the rail. The clips should hold them into the rail with ease. They should not be popping out even with the 45-50 psi fuel pressure behind them.

Member #
    Yes, I thought they were the wrong size at first but they are the same size as the ones I replaced. This what I put in. [https://i]

30lb 315cc Benelli TNT 1130 12-Hole Fuel Injector Upgrade Brand New

So, I couldn't get the bike to start or connect to Tuneecu so I pulled out the plugs which were carbonised with the central electrode showing signs of being burnt out. They had done about 100 km from new
    They were also wet with fuel. I then put a set is silver Brisk plugs in. Bike started first time and idled at 1300. I took it on a 30km test ride where it pulled strongly thru the Rev range with no stuttering at 3000 revs. I even backed it off in 3rd to 2000 revs but it still accelerated without a misfire. It still vibrates at 3000 revs and seems to over fuel when you roll off the throttle but clears very quickly. It stalled once going from 3td to 2nd slowing down at a corner so I will change the idle to 1500. At his stage the Brisk plugs seem to work OK. Don't know how long this will last until it finds a way to have another issue.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Sounds great so far Peter.
    I too had an issue with my bike fouling the plugs it also had a few stalls whilst changing down at speed .. very unsettling whilst setting up for a bend!!!.
    So I fitted a set of iridium plugs and downloaded a map from here in the "dyno run today " thread and ever since it's been sweet as a nut ! .

Let's hope you don't get any more niggles and are able to put a few more trouble free miles on the beast 🙂.
    Rick

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #
    [QUOTE=PeterM;233625]

Peter this still bothers me, despite your last post after the bike ran OK for 30km. Is the length of the new injectors the same as the originals? Your latest post renews my interest in fitting these if it can get rid of the flat spot between 3200 and 3500 but it sounds as though the new injector bodies are shorter. I have never removed the injectors to see how they fit but after reading Errol's comments I wonder if they might require modification to the fuel rail brackets to lower the rail so they are held captive properly. Also, how did you go trying to connect Tune ECU with a re-charged battery?

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    I never had a lot of success with Brisk plugs so I now stick with NGK.

One guy had a worrying failure with them a while back too.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsors