Stalls when hot et al - Page 6
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stalls when hot et al

Member #
    Personally I only ever use 95 if no 98 is available, and that's not very often here.

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #

Mapping eliminated stall issue

An update on hot stalls: I found the problem on my bike was caused by the following three factors working together: 1/. Map too lean at low throttle. 2/. Map too rich at medium to high throttle. 3/. O2 sensor was enabled. With O2 enabled it appears the ECU adaption changes the fuel globally. So after riding for a while in a section of the map that is too rich the adaption reduces the fuel to achieve Lambda feedback of 1.00. Then after slowing to a section lower on the map where it was already lean, there is now insufficient fuel to run. I disabled the O2 sensor, increased the fuel down low, decreased it higher-up and returned the idle trim to 1.00. Stalls are now very rare. For safety reasons I cannot recommend it, but confess I have been using a Windows tablet stuck on the tank to monitor throttle, revs and O2 feedback. A dyno tune is on the agenda to address the parts of the map I cannot monitor on the road.
    Trevor68 and Engenia like this.

Member #
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if the fuel pump runs straight off the ignition or through the CPU. Mine won't engage, have tested it and it works, and the fuel injection/engine light stays on.

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi Peter have you swapped a few relays to check they all work ?
    Sounds like a connection issue to me .
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if the fuel pump runs straight off the ignition or through the CPU. Mine won't engage, have tested it and it works, and the fuel injection/engine light stays on.

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk
    Redbaron57 likes this.

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #
    Good advice from Rick. If it's like my TRE K, the pump power comes from the Main Fuse at the Start Relay to the Fuel Pump fuse (third from left) to the injection relay (third from right) to the pump. If I pull the fuse it kills the dash. If I pull the relay it gives your symptom. The relay is controlled by the ECU. The TNT wiring diagram also shows the pump fuse third from left and pump relay third from right.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
    Good advice from Rick. If it's like my TRE K, the pump power comes from the Main Fuse at the Start Relay to the Fuel Pump fuse (third from left) to the injection relay (third from right) to the pump. If I pull the fuse it kills the dash. If I pull the relay it gives your symptom. The relay is controlled by the ECU. The TNT wiring diagram also shows the pump fuse third from left and pump relay third from right.
    Took me a long while to fix this. Checked every connection but finally sent the ECU away to be reflashed and now bike runs perfectly. No surging or cutting out, perfect fueling and smooth ride. Adjusted idle to 1500 and it no longer stalls.

Sent from my Hi9Pro using Tapatalk
    Redbaron57 and ron d like this.

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #

Re-enabled O2 sensor, remap & stalls gone.

An update on hot stalls: I found the problem on my bike was caused by the following three factors working together: 1/. Map too lean at low throttle. 2/. Map too rich at medium to high throttle. 3/. O2 sensor was enabled. With O2 enabled it appears the ECU adaption changes the fuel globally. So after riding for a while in a section of the map that is too rich the adaption reduces the fuel to achieve Lambda feedback of 1.00. Then after slowing to a section lower on the map where it was already lean, there is now insufficient fuel to run. I disabled the O2 sensor, increased the fuel down low, decreased it higher-up and returned the idle trim to 1.00. Stalls are now very rare. For safety reasons I cannot recommend it, but confess I have been using a Windows tablet stuck on the tank to monitor throttle, revs and O2 feedback. A dyno tune is on the agenda to address the parts of the map I cannot monitor on the road.
    Since I posted the above I discovered running without the O2 sensor enabled resulted in big variations in Air Fuel Ratio (not unexpectedly!). There was also annoying surging between 3000 & 3500 rpm. Monitoring on the road with TuneECU I discovered big variations in the TPS % value at constant throttle. I replaced the TPS with a LÖWE automobil: 63591 unit for AU$45 on eBay. That fixed the TPS % variation and surging. Since then I have used TuneECU datalogging on my Android phone and progressive map updates to address the high and low O2 sensor voltage points of the fuel map (in the range I can ride on the road, up to about 4500 rpm & 25% throttle). The result for my TreK 1130 after more map revisions than I care count is, with the O2 sensor enabled, it runs smoothly at all speeds, pulls strongly at idle and does not stall with an idle speed ~1300rpm. The bike is now a joy to ride and I routinely get 320 km on a tank. My only remaining gremlin is an occasional but infrequent fast idle. When it happens TuneECU shows the same number of steps as a normal idle. After switching off and on again the idle speed returns to normal. I assume the stepper has open loop control and the fast idle is caused by it sticking in a position higher than indicated.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    ... I assume the stepper has open loop control and the fast idle is caused by it sticking in a position higher than indicated.
    All steppers are open loop. If steps are skipped it can only be corrected at startup when it returns to fully closed, then reverses a fixed number of steps.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

GBo
    Member #
    TuneECU shows the same number of steps as a normal idle.

how do you see this? or is yours a Sagem ecu. I can’t find that on the walbro or do I need a particular version of tuneecu?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Sponsors