Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: dropping a cylinder

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    The bike is now back together and running on all cylinders. All's well that ends well I suppose.
    Nice one Cam, Glad you got to the bottom of it and it was an easy fix
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 81
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Good work Cam.
    If you had managed to get TuneECU to talk to the ECU it should have thrown a P1351 error - "open/short circuit - ignition coil 1" which may have expedited this whole process. You should have seen the fault lamp light up at some stage regardless. When you do get TuneECU to talk, you'll have the pleasure of clearing that error
    Despite that, you got there, and learnt a lot on the way.
    Well done.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    I did eventually connect to the ECU using tractorman's cable. Plugged his cable in and it connected straight away. So there was evidently something wrong with the cable kit I got from Lonelec, or maybe my computer didn't like it for some reason. The Lonelec system uses 2 cables. ECU to serial plug, then an adaptor cable from the serial plug to USB. I've had problems with those serial-USB cables before, so I suspect that could have been the issue. Some computer nerd once told me those serial-USB adaptor cables can create a lot of electrical noise that can overwhelm the data signal. Tractorman's cable is all-in-one from the ECU to a smart USB plug.

Once connected, it wasn't immediately obvious how to bring up the fault log, so I didn't bother at that stage. I just wanted to confirm that the ECU was functioning, put the bike back together and fire it up. Tractorman wants his cable back to re-set his TPS.

I'll buy a cable like tractorman's (from forum member Stinger Wolf) and deal with any un-cleared faults then. For now, the ECU light has gone out so I just wanna ride the damn thing.

Cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Went for a ride today. The bike ran perfectly all day.

During the entire time I've owned this bike (only a few months) the ECU light would come on intermittently, but the bike continued to run OK. I rang the bloke I bought it from and he said not to worry about it, it's always done that but the bike keeps running OK. So I didn't worry about it until it came on and stayed on when the bike lost sparks on one cylinder.

On today's ride the ECU light never came at all, so it seems I've fixed the problem that it was trying to tell me about. The ECU must have been reading a high resistance on one coil, which would have been the connector making poor contact. But the bike only lost a cylinder when the connection failed altogether.

So if any of you folks have an ECU light coming on for no apparent reason, it might pay to check the coils' primary connections.

Here's how to do it. Add this test to the tests listed for coils on page 7/48 of the workshop manual.

Un-plug the ECU. Switch your multimeter to the lowest Ohm scale. With the ignition switch off, put one probe of the meter onto the ECU plug at Black A3. That's the common power feed to all coils, so the meter probe remains there for the duration of the test.
    With the other meter probe, measure the resistances of the 3 coils in turn. Coil 1 is pin position Black A8, Coil 2 is Black B8, Coil 3 is Grey A1. Doing it that way means that you're measuring the coil resistances as the ECU sees them, through the wiring harness.
    All resistance readings should be 0.8 Ohms (plus or minus 0.2 Ohms)

If it's substantially more, you could have a bad connection or a failing coil.
    If substantially less, it could be a short circuit somewhere, including within the coil itself.
    If you read an open circuit (as in my case) you've either lost connection to the coil, or the coil winding has burned out.

In all of the above failure cases, taking the coil out an testing it directly will tell you whether the problem is in the coil or wiring harness.

Cam
    Rick67 likes this.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Nice one Cam !.
    i'm glad it wasn't a costly fix ... only wasted time and less riding...

i like your test for the coils too i`ll be doing this one day im sure as these coil sticks never last for too long, mine have done just over 18,000 miles now.
    here's to many more trouble free miles on your Trek

Rick

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Sponsors