Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stuck in gear

Name
    Tim Wynn
    Member #

Stuck in gear

Been having a little trouble selecting neutral recently, Nothing drastic but manageable, On way home today though, got caught in some very slow (stationary) traffic and with no room to filter just had to wait it out. Moved off in first gear but then discovered that it was properly stuck in first gear. Now cannot select any gear, it's just stuck in first. This resulted in a very long slow recovery home on tha back of a truck SO. Question is. Is this a common fault or is this looking like a gear box strip down?

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    I have never had that happen, yes a bit stiff to put into neutral sometimes at stop but never stuck. Sorry i can't be any help.

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Does the gear lever move but not select gears, or is it jammed solid?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    There's been a few here before you. Have a read
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Tim Wynn
    Member #
    Mikerj, It's stack (jammed?) solid. Hardly any movement at all. I didn't try too hard to move it in case I broke something else. All of the links are connected properly and the spline is moving a tiny bit (but not enough to register). basically it's like someone has jammed something inside to stop it moving. Engenia, thanks. This may help, I'll take a look when I can summon up enough courage...or take the cowards way out and get someone who hopefully knows better to look at it!

Post Script 1 day on.

After phoning around finally discovered that I have a Benelli Franchise only 15 miles away in Hereford (Raw Power Motorcycles). Spoke to a very enthusiastic man called Sam who sounded quite eager to do the job as he's never seen a Tre-K 1130 and he's even going to collect the bike for me. As we were speaking he had the maunual open and was actually looking at the gearbox diagrams and said that it "didn't look too dificult". Since I have all of the spannering skill of a blind, epileptic (apologies to any other blind epileptic forum members), I am going to place my priceless Nell and my trust in his hands.

I'll let you know how it goes and if he's half as good as I hope he is then I may have a new best friend.
    Last edited by Hussar; 07-28-2018 at 02:23 AM.
    fredzedex and ron d like this.

Name
    andre
    Member #
    good luck ...remember to set a cap money wise cause it sounds like he will be training at your expense....

Name
    Tim Wynn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    good luck ...remember to set a cap money wise cause it sounds like he will be training at your expense....
    Good shout Andre. I have told them to keep me informed at every stage and they have told me that they will not do anything without my say so. I'm still hoping that it's something simple (and inexpensive) that's caused the problem and that the most expensive part (excepting labour charges) will be a re-fill of good quality oil!

Name
    Tim Wynn
    Member #
    In the end the total bill was a tad over £300. That was for a replacement gear change drum, springs, oil and labour. The drum fixing bolt had sheared so could have been drilled out but I opted for a new drum complete as it was listed at just over £100. The parts took two months to arrive from Italy and Raw Power did a stirling job, including checking and torquing the Z35 bolt and using the correct grade fully synthetic oil also replacing all of the springs because they were only a few pounds. Not entirely required but I'm more than happy that they did. Now covered a few hundred miles (I was sick for most of last summer so could not ride it much). I have commuted on it and been for a couple of longer rides and it now seems all fine. Good job Raw Power.
    ron d likes this.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Nice to hear you've finally got the bike sorted and all is well.
    Roll on unrestricted access across the land .

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #

Gear selector bolt & finding neutral.

I had similar trouble when that bolt in the end of the drum came undone. I progressively lost the lower gears as I rode a couple hundred kilometres home, eventually stuck in top gear. I degreased and reinstalled the bolt with Loctite. It has stayed put for about 30,000km now. Difficult neutral selection might contribute to the failure of that selector bolt. My TreK has always required the right knack. Before I learned that, I may have traumatised that little selector bolt by trying to force neutral selection. Lee, one of our Aussie Benelli owners, struggled to get neutral on his TNT. He dismantled the clutch, cleaned the varnish and gunk off the plates, installed new needle bearings for the basket and fitted a new set of springs. The latter because the old ones were outside the lean tolerance specified in the workshop manual. He reports the clutch now works like a charm, with no trouble selecting neutral while stationary. It stands to reason that if the spring force is not evenly distributed around the pressure plate it will lift unevenly, resulting in clutch drag that will affect neutral selection. I have now committed €16 plus postage for a set of Surflex SM 99/6 springs. I will soon see if a plate clean and new springs yield the same benefit on my TreK as Lee discovered on his TNT.
    Last edited by Redbaron57; 05-31-2020 at 04:11 AM.
    Rick67 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors