• 1 Post By Engenia
  • 1 Post By Rick67
  • 1 Post By Rick67

Thread: Get those cam chains changed..

Name
    Rick
    Member #

Get those cam chains changed..

today i got round to changing my cam chain ...
    And it needed it .
    At worst it had done about 18500 miles.
    Only set me back £36 ,and we'll worth it for the peace of mind in advance of a trip to Germany in June, and also now all the timing marks now line up well happy with that 😉
    A road test will now be required when i get a free day .
    The third photo is showing the timing as it has looks in the book now with the cam lobes on number 1 cylinder facing inwards to each other .
    On a skill level I'd say about a 6 out of ten so easy enough .
    I've also changed the power mode switch as it literally fell apart the other day after I'd changed the throttle cables and was testing stuff out . In the end I went for basic on off illuminated chrome replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Get those cam chains changed..-img-20190504-wa0002_1557008928363.jpeg   Get those cam chains changed..-img_20190504_135750_1557008958713.jpg   Get those cam chains changed..-img_20190504_143108_1557008974158.jpg   Get those cam chains changed..-img_20190504_135826_1557009962220.jpg  
    Trevor68 and ron d like this.

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Yes i have just had mine replaced, not sure how many miles the chain had done but definately runs alot better.
    MadbikerUK likes this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Doesn't the TreK 1130 book say to change at 25,000 miles (40,000 km)?

The TreK engine doesn't rev as high as the Tornado because the valve springs have been weakened, but the upshot of this is that the chain life can be extended from 25,000 km to 40,000.
    A Tornado chain at 25,000 km, all things working well for normal road use, has worn to 0.5% elongation, which is enough for an engine that can spin to 11,500 rpm (my ECU was factory set to 12,000!), and that's when I change it. I'm on my 7th because one of them was starved of lubrication by a dodgy re-usable oil filter.

IMHO, if you keep track of the tensioner depth, noting that it's doing nothing untoward, you'll be fine taking it to the recommended distance.

BTW Rick, if you are truly worried about accurate valve timing, you need to change those fixed cam sprockets for adjustable ones, like you'll find in the LE and early Tornados (not mine). That is the ONLY way to get it right. When they are fixed they are only accurate to +/- 1/2 a tooth. But lets face it, it'll only give you the last couple of kW you can squeeze out of these engines. Important on the track but not as much in the real world.
    Last edited by Engenia; 05-05-2019 at 03:58 AM.
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    Doesn't the TreK 1130 book say to change at 25,000 miles (40,000 km)?

The TreK engine doesn't rev as high as the Tornado because the valve springs have been weakened, but the upshot of this is that the chain life can be extended from 25,000 km to 40,000.
    A Tornado chain at 25,000 km, all things working well for normal road use, has worn to 0.5% elongation, which is enough for an engine that can spin to 11,500 rpm (my ECU was factory set to 12,000!), and that's when I change it. I'm on my 7th because one of them was starved of lubrication by a dodgy re-usable oil filter.

IMHO, if you keep track of the tensioner depth, noting that it's doing nothing untoward, you'll be fine taking it to the recommended distance.

BTW Rick, if you are truly worried about accurate valve timing, you need to change those fixed cam sprockets for adjustable ones, like you'll find in the LE and early Tornados (not mine). That is the ONLY way to get it right. When they are fixed they are only accurate to +/- 1/2 a tooth. But lets face it, it'll only give you the last couple of kW you can squeeze out of these engines. Important on the track but not as much in the real world.
    Cheers Errol.
    I did see that there are adjustable cam sprockets to be had . I may do that if it lasts until it's next chain swap 🙂 .

I'd only thought to swap the chain out after noticing it hadn't moved on the adjuster for the last 5000miles .. freaked me out a bit as it had been moving about 1mm for every 2500 miles .
    Plus it was apart anyway to fit my new throttle cables and that bloomin power switch lol.
    It's nice to see the inside of my engine has no bits floating around inside too 😁
    ron d likes this.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Just thought I'd a little more to this ..
    After the cam chain change when I got Nelli out for a test she ran badly on one map Weirdly.
    So back on the bench she went ... Tried all sorts of stuff double check this and that . New plugs fitted ect .. no joy !! .

But when I was looking at the tune ecu screens I noticed the Tps voltage figures looked off..
    yup sure enough she was throwing random positions off the throttle.
    Took it off the bike drowned it in electrical cleaner . Dried . Re fitted . Now all is Rosie again in team Trek .
    yamahamad likes this.

Sponsors