Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Engenia

Thread: side stand

Name
    ron daly
    Member #

side stand

I noticed my Tre-k while on its side stand and the stand seems to lean forward quite a lot, i fit a new one i was given and it is much better but the foot part does not sit flat on to the ground, has anyone put a base plate on or any other ideas, cheers

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hmm .. mine was fine as it was until the bolt snapped lol... Angus to the rescue on that bit.
    I then lowered my bike as a test and had to lower the stand 10mm .
    Long story short back to STD height but kept the lower side stand but made my own foot for it .
    Sits flat on the deck and I carry a bit of plastic for grassy stops 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    I thought that the angle of the stand was too far forward but noticed the foot had been ground away with scraping it back and forward while putting it down, the bolt looks in good order but i put the new bolt in as a precaution. I use a plastic puck but wondered if a bolted on one would help, cheers for the reply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    I take it yours is an ally stand, its just it looks like steel with the paint on.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ron d View Post
    I take it yours is an ally stand, its just it looks like steel with the paint on.
    Hi Ron it is the steel stand I had to re paint after its alteration .. it gets some stick down here with the gravely roads and my light off roading for photos 😉.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    My TreK side stand is unmodified as far as I know (haven't owned the bike from new) and the foot sits flat on the ground.

The side stand pivot system is a lousy design in my opinion. The pivot bolt being loaded in cantilever mode means it's subject to a high bending load. Breakages are not unusual. The previous owner of my bike said it broke twice during his ownership, dumping the bike on the ground both times. So the bike was a bit battle-scarred on the left side when I bought it. I'm very wary of overloading it so I never sit on the bike (or allow anyone else to sit on it) when it's parked on the side stand.

On every other bike I've owned, the side stand pivot is a clevis type arrangement, with the bolt supported at both ends. So the bending load is pretty much eliminated.

In order to unload the side stand when parked for any length of time, I've fitted a centre stand to the bike.

One of these days I'll figure out a modification for the stupid side stand pivot to improve its strength.

GBo
    Member #
    Someone did modify one with an outside plate welded on and a different bolt. I’m not sure if it was on here or FB page. I was thinking of doing this myself when I get on top of the urgent stuff.

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    side stand-img_1108.jpgThis is my side stand as you can see the same as a Tornado

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    I then lowered my bike as a test and had to lower the stand 10mm
    Best way to "lower" the stand is with a couple of angled wedges. On the Tornado 10 degrees works well if lowering 20 mm
    side stand-sidestand10degwedges.jpg

As far as i know, the only failures have been due to the pivot bolt itself, which has been solved with a larger thread size. I drilled out and tapped a mate's TreK a couple months ago to suit the new pivot bolt.
    I don't know of any that have snapped the stand itself.
    Compared with the stand on my gixxer, this one is a mechanical work of art
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Yes the original bolt is an M10 and the design puts way too much load on it, the replacement part has been upgraded to M12, which is why Engenia had to drill and tap mine to fit it. My trek was lowered 25mm, so I simply cut the foot plate off, removed 3mm from the stand and then welded the foot plate back on.

Sponsors