Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick67

Thread: What maintenance to do mm.?

Name
    Lars
    Member #

What maintenance to do mm.?

Hi guys!

I got my trek 1130 2008 in spring 18' from Germany.

And it has been a pleasant surprise. I must admit that I was worried about build quality but it has not let me down. I have put 10' km on it and now it has 25' on the clock. It has so many positives. The only downside I found is that it is a very thirsty one...

The store which sold me the bike was to stop its Benelli dealership. Thus they sold all they had in stock.They served the bike 100% before I bought it. And did all the stuff they were suppose to.

My dilemma is that there are no really qualified Benelli mechanics in the entire Scandinavia. If I want to find one I must go way south in Germany (2000 km from Oslo :-() Because of this I have been thinking about selling it while it still runs perfect. But it is such shame because I really love it.

Thus, lately I have reconsidered. I have been in touch with I guy that says that he can do a regular service and some more serious stuff if I pay him for whatever hours he spends figuring things out. This is not an ideal solution but maybe it is good enough to keep the bike. And if I have a really serious breakdown I could go to this Alex dude in Nurnberg people talks so highly about.

I have also been thinking of doing the regular service myself. I know how to change oil/filter,brakepads and chain/sprockets. And have done this several times on some of my previous and current bikes.

Now to my question:

- What should I do servicewise every year (every 10' km) with the Trek even if it runs good.
    - Has anyone got knowledge of any experienced Benelli mechanics in Scandinavia or northern Germany?

TIA
    Lars :-)

Name
    Rick
    Member #

servicing ect....

hi Lars,
    these Benelli`s are pretty much like any other bike when it comes to looking after.
    had mine nearly two years and put 16200 miles one her so far currently the bikes total mileage is 22400 miles.
    look on Errol's website for guidance A Must Do really.
    ive had no major issues but a few minor ones but to be fair the bike has never broke down or left me stranded and ive done a few long trips to mainland Europe.
    the most annoying one was the side stand switch randomly failed as i was riding cutting the engine like id ran out of fuel and easy fix with a tweak of the spring inside it.
    ive changed my TPS as it had a dead spot causing a rough running spot about 3 to 4k revs.again easy and cheap fix.
    changed the alternator cush drive rubbers for the kawasaki z9 ones again easy to do.
    but the best mod ive done to date on mine replace front fork cartridges for the Andreani set !! .
    obviously oil and filter regularly along with fuel filter every now and then plus check the bolts on the end of z25 clutch basket and drive chain sprocket .
    oh i did change my camchain myself too a few thousand miles ago cost me £30 lol.
    also im running a peach of a map i had from a chap in OZ but i did tweak it a little in the low down rev area im averaging 40 to 42 mpg every tank with mixed riding .

i hope this gives you confidence to keep the bike and maybe do all your own servicing work too like id do .

I see myself having many more years of fun with this bike .
    ron d likes this.

Name
    Lars
    Member #

Thanks for answering :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    hi Lars,
    these Benelli`s are pretty much like any other bike when it comes to looking after.
    had mine nearly two years and put 16200 miles one her so far currently the bikes total mileage is 22400 miles.
    look on Errol's website for guidance A Must Do really.
    ive had no major issues but a few minor ones but to be fair the bike has never broke down or left me stranded and ive done a few long trips to mainland Europe.
    the most annoying one was the side stand switch randomly failed as i was riding cutting the engine like id ran out of fuel and easy fix with a tweak of the spring inside it.
    ive changed my TPS as it had a dead spot causing a rough running spot about 3 to 4k revs.again easy and cheap fix.
    changed the alternator cush drive rubbers for the kawasaki z9 ones again easy to do.
    but the best mod ive done to date on mine replace front fork cartridges for the Andreani set !! .
    obviously oil and filter regularly along with fuel filter every now and then plus check the bolts on the end of z25 clutch basket and drive chain sprocket .
    oh i did change my camchain myself too a few thousand miles ago cost me £30 lol.
    also im running a peach of a map i had from a chap in OZ but i did tweak it a little in the low down rev area im averaging 40 to 42 mpg every tank with mixed riding .

i hope this gives you confidence to keep the bike and maybe do all your own servicing work too like id do .

I see myself having many more years of fun with this bike .
    You assured me, I will keep the bike and do the regular maintenance as suggested. Right now there are no issues at all so I guess the dealer which sold me the bike must have done a fine job servicing it. At that point me mentioned the z25 thing but it didn't mean much to me then. So fingers crossed, I will keep it. Overall, it is such a sweet bike. I like the low tech, the engine and the comfortable ride. It really is a shame that the brand is shutting down.
    Lars :-)

Sponsors