Trek 1130 not start - Page 2
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trek 1130 not start

Member #

Question Amazonas Not Starting

Hi Folks,
    I have a 2012 Amazonas 1130 and it's been running fine other than the standard upside down indicator relay filling withe water in Germany last summer. But yesterday I was all set to go for a spin when the bike wouldn't start. I can hear the started solenoid engaging but nothing else happens. I'm wondering if it's possible for such a new bike to have worn out starter motor brushes. The bike has done under 20K miles so it's not exactly high mileage but that could mean that before I owned it it could've done lots of short hops. I presume I'm going to need to remove the starter motor and test it but is there anything else obvious that I should be checking. I already did all the fuse checking but as the solenoid is operating, power must be getting almost to the starter motor at least.
    Thanks
    Gareth

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Test starter by bridging the two main connections on the solenoid..
    And yes it is entirely possible the brushes are worn/gone or even stuck.
    Easy to check and change .
    Mine died at about 26k miles with bad result . So check
    ron d likes this.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Could also be a faulty starter relay or knackered battery. Sometimes a battery will show good voltage but not deliver enough current to crank the engine. Do the dash lights go dim when you press the starter button?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks Rick67 and Sprocket! So, I can literally switch on the ignition and short the Starter Solenoid terminals with some pliers or a screwdriver and presumably you'd expect the solenoid to operate and deliver eniugh current to operate ghe motir and try to turn the engine. I'll put a bolt meter across the battery to check the voltage. I don't think it's the battery because its stored in a garage in a trickle charge and hasn't shown any signs of being a sluggish starter, but it's a good shot so I'll check that too. Thanks guys. If i do change the brushes do you know where I can get replacements? I don't even know who manufactures the starter motor. And finally, will I find the starter reist under the seat or is it likely to be dangling precariously like the indicator relay was when it became waterlogged last year?
    Cheers to you both for such quick responses. Gareth

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi Gareth,
    The starter solenoid is next to the alternator .. if that's what you mean by "resist" .
    If it's just a faculty solenoid I believe the Yamaha Tdm 850 part is identical .

As for brushes .. here's the set I bought for mine. You could search for a Denso set also not sure of part number .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293405084887

Here's a better option worth a try if needed as it's cheaper and has the insulated positive post too .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274325557995
    Rick

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by araveug View Post
    and short the Starter Solenoid terminals with some pliers or a screwdriver and presumably you'd expect the solenoid to operate …
    Don't use pliers if you value them. You could weld the hinge solid! Use a jumper lead if you have a set. You can either bridge across the big terminals on the starter relay, or go from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal on the starter motor. Ignition doesn't need to be on for the starter to crank because you're feeding it directly from the battery. Actually, it's probably best if you leave the ignition off to avoid sending electrical spikes through the rest of the bike's systems.

The solenoid in the starter relay won't operate because you're bypassing it. I don't think there is a solenoid in the starter motor, it just a sprag clutch. The starter motor should crank though if it's in working condition.

Member #

Cafe racer 1130 problem starting

Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps. 'Cold' is generally 0 Farenheit, but some manufacturers cheat and test at 0 Celsius.
    A 150 CCA battery should be able to deliver twice that at ambient.
    So your 400 Amp test would likely be well under 200 CCA in reality, unless it was just taken out of the deep freeze.
    The Deka ETX9BS I used a few years ago was rated at 120 CCA, & it could deliver 400 A at ambient new.

The Tornado 900 needs at least 200 A to turn it over when hot. If it can't do that it needs a new battery.
    The 1130 will need more..
    The LH12B-4 Lithium battery I've been using for 5 years now, is rated at 400 CCA. Who knows what it can do at ambient? I've never tested it, but it just has to wink and the engine is running. (I think they used it to start the Space Shuttle)

Hi all,

After replacing my 16 moths old SSB battery today with Yuasa YTZ14S my bike runs on two cylinders.
    Any suggestions what can go wrong ?

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer1130 View Post

Hi all,

After replacing my 16 moths old SSB battery today with Yuasa YTZ14S my bike runs on two cylinders.
    Any suggestions what can go wrong ?
    Hi,
    My guess from limited info is a fouled plug due to possible bad starts from the old battery.
    Rick

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    Hi,
    My guess from limited info is a fouled plug due to possible bad starts from the old battery.
    Rick

Hi,

Bike was running perfectly yesterday I did notice yesterday that battery was getting low because it didn't have the same power turning hot to mention my battery is always on ctek charger and after a ride home I replaced the battery straight away. So I don't think the plugs doesn't make sense? It was running perfect yesterday.
    Do I need to reset TPS sensor ?

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer1130 View Post

Hi,

Bike was running perfectly yesterday I did notice yesterday that battery was getting low because it didn't have the same power turning hot to mention my battery is always on ctek charger and after a ride home I replaced the battery straight away. So I don't think the plugs doesn't make sense? It was running perfect yesterday.
    Do I need to reset TPS sensor ?
    Hi,
    Resetting the TPS won't change a plug not firing .
    If you've no warning light on dash it's more likely to be a coil or plug not working correctly . My advise is to swap the coil stick with another .
    You could also unplug and then plug back in all the injectors/ coil sticks and the phase crank sensor just in case it's a dry or loose connection.

One question .. was it constantly not firing on the same cylinder ?
    Rick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors