Benelli Forum banner

Trek 1130 not start

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Racer1130 
#1 ·
Hi I have a problem with the trek 1130 does not want to catch the starter spins but the engine does not catch, the bike I have new plugs, coils, batteries, tps. Stepper, Benzin flowing injectors work spark goes, checked stand. Fall sensor. Clutch Switch. I don't have an alarm flap off butterfly in sucking away help friends what to look for has anglicitana not good just translator i am from czech republic thank you for every info

#5 · (Edited)
My Tre-K 1130 failed to start yesterday after I'd stopped at a service station to fuel up. Jumped on the bike and hit the button and the engine did about half a rev and remained quiet. Not the dreaded Beneli hot start problem, but a dead battery. The bloke at the servo had a jump-starter that got the bike going, so I abandoned my ride and returned home without shutting it off again.

Took the battery in to a battery shop to get tested today and it was struggling to manage 50 CCA, while the voltage dropped below 10V.

The bloke tried to sell me a new battery, a Revplus STZ14-S by Exide. I'd never heard of Revplus so was a bit unsure. It had exactly the same dimensions as the Motobatt and he claimed it would have more than double the claimed CCA of the Motobatt when it was new (Motobatt specs say 150 CCA). I must have looked a bit doubtful about his claim, so he put it on the same tester as he just used on the Motobatt and it did over 400 CCA at 12V. So I handed him the money for it. It spins the 1130 engine easily and it fires up immediately. Will be interesting to see how long it'll keep up that level of performance.

Attachments

#6 ·
it was struggling to manage 50 CCA, while the voltage dropped below 10V.
it would have more than double the claimed CCA of the Motobatt when it was new (Motobatt specs say 150 CCA). I must have looked a bit doubtful about his claim, so he put it on the same tester as he just used on the Motobatt and it did over 400 CCA at 12V..
CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps. 'Cold' is generally 0 Farenheit, but some manufacturers cheat and test at 0 Celsius.
A 150 CCA battery should be able to deliver twice that at ambient.
So your 400 Amp test would likely be well under 200 CCA in reality, unless it was just taken out of the deep freeze.
The Deka ETX9BS I used a few years ago was rated at 120 CCA, & it could deliver 400 A at ambient new.

The Tornado 900 needs at least 200 A to turn it over when hot. If it can't do that it needs a new battery.
The 1130 will need more..
The LH12B-4 Lithium battery I've been using for 5 years now, is rated at 400 CCA. Who knows what it can do at ambient? I've never tested it, but it just has to wink and the engine is running. (I think they used it to start the Space Shuttle)

#7 ·
the starter spins but the engine does not catch, the bike I have new plugs, coils, batteries, tps. Stepper, Benzin flowing injectors work spark goes, checked stand. Fall sensor. Clutch Switch.
Try:-
  1. spark (you've seen it?) - if so the engine must be cranking ok, ie. the safety system isn't deployed.
  2. are the coils connected correctly? You can mix them up if you really try.
  3. fuel is getting sprayed into the throttles (you've seen that?) Is it enough? What is the fuel pressure? It should be ~ 3 Bar
  4. Are the injectors connected (electrically) correctly?
  5. Are the injector seals sealing? I've managed to lose a seal while installing one, and had no idea I had done so.
  6. Is the ignition timed correctly? Is the crank position sensor working reliably? People have had issues with them in the past
  7. Does the stepper actually move? Have you seen it?
  8. Does the TPS read reliably? Its a common weak point. Don't blame Benelli, it's a BMW part.
  9. Have you re-loaded the map? If the ECU won't talk to the Axione 2000, it may not be working properly at all. Its not common, but it has happened.
  10. Sometimes, after not having run for a long time, the Tre can be cantankerous. Try cranking for 10 seconds. You may be surprised (I was, once)
  11. The battery must be capable of at least 200 Amps at ambient. Less than that and you'll likely be in trouble. You wouldn't be the first Tre owner to install a new battery that wasn't up to the task

Tick all of them off and we'll see where we go from there.

#8 ·
Hi thank you for your subject I will still solve until I start taking a few photos and video start

Attachments

#11 ·
Amazonas Not Starting

Hi Folks,
I have a 2012 Amazonas 1130 and it's been running fine other than the standard upside down indicator relay filling withe water in Germany last summer. But yesterday I was all set to go for a spin when the bike wouldn't start. I can hear the started solenoid engaging but nothing else happens. I'm wondering if it's possible for such a new bike to have worn out starter motor brushes. The bike has done under 20K miles so it's not exactly high mileage but that could mean that before I owned it it could've done lots of short hops. I presume I'm going to need to remove the starter motor and test it but is there anything else obvious that I should be checking. I already did all the fuse checking but as the solenoid is operating, power must be getting almost to the starter motor at least.
Thanks
Gareth:doh:

#14 ·
Thanks Rick67 and Sprocket! So, I can literally switch on the ignition and short the Starter Solenoid terminals with some pliers or a screwdriver and presumably you'd expect the solenoid to operate and deliver eniugh current to operate ghe motir and try to turn the engine. I'll put a bolt meter across the battery to check the voltage. I don't think it's the battery because its stored in a garage in a trickle charge and hasn't shown any signs of being a sluggish starter, but it's a good shot so I'll check that too. Thanks guys. If i do change the brushes do you know where I can get replacements? I don't even know who manufactures the starter motor. And finally, will I find the starter reist under the seat or is it likely to be dangling precariously like the indicator relay was when it became waterlogged last year?
Cheers to you both for such quick responses. Gareth

#16 ·
and short the Starter Solenoid terminals with some pliers or a screwdriver and presumably you'd expect the solenoid to operate …
Don't use pliers if you value them. You could weld the hinge solid! Use a jumper lead if you have a set. You can either bridge across the big terminals on the starter relay, or go from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal on the starter motor. Ignition doesn't need to be on for the starter to crank because you're feeding it directly from the battery. Actually, it's probably best if you leave the ignition off to avoid sending electrical spikes through the rest of the bike's systems.

The solenoid in the starter relay won't operate because you're bypassing it. I don't think there is a solenoid in the starter motor, it just a sprag clutch. The starter motor should crank though if it's in working condition.

#15 ·
Hi Gareth,
The starter solenoid is next to the alternator .. if that's what you mean by "resist" .
If it's just a faculty solenoid I believe the Yamaha Tdm 850 part is identical .

As for brushes .. here's the set I bought for mine. You could search for a Denso set also not sure of part number .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293405084887

Here's a better option worth a try if needed as it's cheaper and has the insulated positive post too .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274325557995
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.