Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my TNT this morning, it's an 04 model and only done 1750miles. Rode back to Torquay from Exeter, no problems. Got home, turned the bike off.
5 mins later, guess what, oh yeah, the famous fake dead battery! So, knowing this is a problem i went to the local bike shop to get a new battery, as the one in the bike was the original varta battery. I charged the battery with an oxford charger for 5 hours (the battery was then fully charged) the bike fired up great.
Went for a ride for half an hour, stopped at the lights and the bike stalled and wouldn't start again. I have now left the bike at a mates house until the morning cos i'm so p**sed off with it!
I was given 1 months warranty by the bike shop in exeter, obviously the bike will be going back there on monday, can anyone please tell me EXACTLY what i should be asking them to do to it, with regards to starter motors and any other upgrades, and also whether i will have to pay or not pay and whether they are available from Benelli Uk.

·
903 Posts
:hiya: Ricc, there is an upgraded starter motor for you TNT which will be replaced under warrenty if you go to an authorised Benelli dealer. You will have to pay for the labour (1 hour MAX!) but the starter will be FOC.

It is recommended that you fit a 14v battery in conjunction with this but this will have to be purchased by you as Benelli do not warrent this as it is classed as a consumable! These mods should sort out you starting problems.

By the way, are your fans on the outside of the radiator or inside? If they are on the inside there is a modification to fit them on the outside to greatly improve the cooling. This can be done under warrenty again but you will have to pay for the labour (About 1 - 2 hours). Some dealers will charge you for the kit as well, it depends who you go to.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Warranty from Benelli and Dealer in Exeter

Lloyd / Ricc

Correct me if I am wrong but the dealer in exeter gave you one months warranty - so they can get the upgraded starter from Benelli UK and they can cover the cost of the labour as part of the 1 month warranty

Bonus :ele:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, i will make sure the new starter motor is fitted under warranty! The fans have been done.
The '06 re-map is being done on monday also.

I went to get the bike from my mates this morning, all fine, rode it home, as soon as i got into the driveway it stalled, but to my dis-belief, it did actually start up again!!

Is there any fix for this stalling problem, as the bike is already idling at 1500rpm.

Any help would be gratly appreciated before i let myself loose with the garage on monday!!!!!:)

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Ricc, sorry to hear you are having problems, firstly there are 2 main starting issues with the TNT…… 1st the standard battery is undersized for the bike (needs a 14amphr battery) the undersized battery goes flat far too quickly if the bike doesn't start first time. Mine is always plugged into an optimiser (not while I’m riding it obviously) ;)
the 2nd issue is hot starting (that sounds like your problem) there are several theories on this issue, running an upgraded cable or another cable next to the standard cable that runs from the battery to the starter motor helps, the starter motor upgrade definitely helps.
This problem is not unique to Benelli, hot starting problems are not uncommon with high compression engines, the new Ducati 1098 has experienced similar problems……… I have written quite a lot about this subject on the forum (vapour locking) its most likely to happen when the engine is hot and after you stall it or do a quick stop (like filling up with fuel)........ waiting about 10 – 15 painfully slow minutes before you try it again normally cures the problem (as long as you haven’t flattened the battery trying to get it started when it was hot) :p
In my opinion there are 3 ways to tackle this problem (apart from Benelli re-writing the ECU software)…. at the moment I’m trying each option to see which method is most practical and cost effective.
One Immediate thing you can do to help is speed up your idle to 1550rpm that should eliminate the stalling issue.
vtxbrit

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kurt, lloyd and vtx, thanks very much for your help.:clap: The bike is being collected on monday. It's quite handy that the guy that owns the garage (where i bought the bike) knows brian at benelli uk personally, so i should be able to get the upgraded starter motor without any problems.

When i get the bike back, i will definitely fit a (yuasa) 14amphr battery as suggested.
I will also run a 2nd set of cables from the battery back to the starter motor, do they need to be of similar size to the factory fiited ones?

The revs are already at 1500rpm, without reading the user manual, is there an easy way to increase the engine idle without re-programming the ECU?

All is not lost, i have the TNT and i love it, in the short time that i have had it, i couldn't believe how well it handles and how quick it is...awesome.:)

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Ricc, if your bike has had the external fan upgrade then it should also have had the remote idle fitted look on the left side of the engine just above the alternator wind in for faster out for slower.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Doh! me to

Today in the P**sing rain the bike just stopped at about 2k with a closed throttle, I wipped in the clutch and pulled over. I tried to start it and whrr-whrr-whrr sloooooowly turning over like a flat battery. I wait 5 mins in the rain_still smiling_(just)press the button bingo first turn it starts as if there was never a problem. It had a battery in feb and i use a optimiser when not riding it.

It seems to dies occasionally even upto 2k_ once in a 10mph corner EEk! :doh: clutch in quick!....

I have contatced 3X today - who have been exccellent so far, I have asked about the outside fan mod too (my fans are inside) as it only seems to die when hot in town, the gauge is just about 3/4 and the fans on/off regularly in town _ motorway 1/2 temp.

Interestingly I was behind a car some 100ft on the motorway and the temp stayed 3/4, i dropped back 50 feet and it went almost instantly down to 1/2 temp. Must be the disturbed air from the car not cooling as well as smooth air.

On the plus side i get 85 miles to a tank... and have ordered one of these http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/twinshack/prods/218.html in titanium and one of these http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/twinshack/prods/258.html. I had a call today to say the tail tidy does not fit the titanium exhaust but I will get someone to mod it to suit.
Bought this too.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=180136101530&rd=1&rd=1

I have booked a day in sept at the California superbike school and august for the wheelie school...he he he he he

http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/
http://www.thewheelieschool.co.uk/

Ciao for now - I shall let you know how I get on.

Mike in Hants

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, so the bike's going back tomorrow for the re-map, i spoke to Brian at benelli this morning, who's kindly sending me an upgraded starter motor tomorrow (i'll fit it myself) He assures me that the re-map will almost certainly cure the stalling issue and fitting the new starter along with a 14amphr battery and (as vtxbrit says), running another set of leads from the battery to the starter will almost certainly cure the problems of hot starting.
I have to say, that over the weekend i have had the new battery (12amphr) plugged into the optimiser, and both yesterday and today i haven't had any problems at all with regards to hot starting.
I'll let you know how the bike is tomorrow after the re-map and when i've fitted the starter motor, but i'm thinkin' that one of the major factors in the hot starting issue is to keep the battery on the optimiser at ALL TIMES when the bikes in the gargage at home, cos it has certainly improved for me.:clap:
All will be revealed in the next few days.......;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
mapping

Hi Ricc if you are having the bike re-mapped to 06 spec advise the tech guys to reset the TPS on AXONE as this can go out of synch after the re-map. BTW a good baseline for the idle fuelling is 1.10 also set carb adjust to 1.10 this will make the bike run much sweeter:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The re-map seems to have made a big difference:clap:
I fitted the upgraded starter this afternoon, which seems to have cured the fake dead battery issue completely:clap:
It runs loads sweeter, especially at low revs in town, as previously it was really lumpy. The stalling problem IS still there, but noticeably less than before.
Thanks Vtxbrit for your picture of the idle adjuster, this HAD NOT been fitted to my bike, but guess what, when i asked about it, the bloke at the garage pulled a bag off the shelf in his office (containing the adjuster and fittings) and said, is this what you mean!!!! Oh yes mate, that's the one, book me in for thursday and you can fit it for me free of charge:rolling:
So, it seems that the bike is now much,much better, many thanks to all who have helped me on this forum, it's excellent!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to mention....someone wrote on this forum that the only way to check if the 06 remap had been done, was to leave the bike running stationary with the fans on , let it get hot and after a while the headlights will turn off to conserve battery and when you blip the throttle they come back on......This is apparently NOT the case, as my bike does not do this, i phoned Brian at benelli after the remap had been done, to ask why the headlights never turned off, he tells me that the lights will only turn themselves off if the battery power is already low.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Change the starter, and all your "hot-starting" problems will be cure. Something in the "old" starter dilate sometimes too much with the hot temperature. Because of this dilatation, the starter ask much more power to start the engine, and the battery,in this case, is not strong enough.

·
903 Posts
When I said fit a 14v battery I meant 14amp!:doh: :doh: :doh:

As Brain said, the remap should cure you stalling problem, once you have fitted the starter motor your starting problems should also be sorted!

Good luck and hope all goes well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realised you meant a 14amphr battery, i have searched the world and cant find one to fit, any ideas?:confused:

·
5,934 Posts
Ricc, try dropping into your local battery shop & get them to test the cranking current of some different makes of your battery size. Test yours as well. Make sure they're all fully charged. You'll be amazed how much they vary.

I have a 900 Tornado, and I did this for my original YT12B4 (220 A), Dekka ETX9 (400 A) and SSB Powersport (400 A). The latter were YTZ-14's, which are shorter, but wider than the YT12B4. They shouldn't have been twice as good, considering their minor increase in volume, but were.

"Knowalittle" had fitted a YTX-14 into his Tre. It fits 'cos the space is angled.

The TNT is different to the Tornado, but it is worth comparing, and choosing the best.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When I said fit a 14v battery I meant 14amp!:doh: :doh: :doh:

As Brain said, the remap should cure you stalling problem, once you have fitted the starter motor your starting problems should also be sorted!

Good luck and hope all goes well!

Hi Lloyd - Are you on strong meds for your injuries still - or are you just up late posting on here when you are too tired ! :rolling: :rolling:

Soz fella - couldnt resist !! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Errol, are you sure that it was a YTX14 Knowalittle had fitted to his TRE?

I've got a YTX12BS in mine and I had to 'shoehorn' it in. The YTX14 is 15mm taller than this and I don't think that the rear fairing would go back on if you had this fitted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts