Benelli Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the original mounting points of the ground points?

I have three ground wires, one goes from battery to the back of the breather box (main), one goes to the starter relay mounting bolt, and one goes to the ECU attaching bolt to the frame.

Is this what you are having too?

Look at the Garry 55 thread 899TNT it covers all the wires and where they go .
Basically 4 small back earth cables to either battery (3 in shroud) or,one and the main return earth to the battery from starter motor ground under the starter relay bracket.
Red + to alternator and starter relay , starter relay provides 2 positive feed to fuse bank , plus one extra (single 2.5 wire ) constant feed to fuses 1 and 6 .
Only thing you can do is beef up the cables to provide more amps, main cables warm when cranked repeatedly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Actually i looked at the TNT wiring, but it seems very different from mine.

My bike seems to get the ground cos it works, but the wires just looks so strange and attached to very odd places :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, a new question. its about headlights, should they light up when turning the power on?

I get no power to the headlights, but the rear works when i turn the power on, also dash lights up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
One of the previous owners has changed the left hand switch, so i dont know if it originally came with the switch that had the light on/off button, or the one that did not have the on/off button.

The switch now on, is from an Aprilia i think, and does not have the on/off button.

I have seen the 1130 Tornado with both switches, just to confuse things more....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, a new question. its about headlights, should they light up when turning the power on?

I get no power to the headlights, but the rear works when i turn the power on, also dash lights up.
As far as I know from all the ones I have played with :
tornado 900 tre has on/off light switch
Rs and 1130 Tre do not have a light switch Rs (early loom ) the headlight dip stays on with top sidelight, dimming when you crank.Its restored when you have the engine running
1130 headlight comes on on ignition but goes immediately off , leaving just the side and tail lights. when the engine fires it comes on.
Even if you headlight does not work the side light should light with the ignition on as the tail light.
Faulty bulb in the dip beam ? Look for the simplest thing first.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have the side light and tail light on when turning the ignition on.

I get no power to the main bulbs, they also don`t lit up and go off when turning on the ignition. Cranking the starter don`t lit em up either, bike does not start at the moment, since the tank is off while i`m waiting for the quick detach connectors.

They did work when i drove it home from the sellers house three months ago, but then it had some strange switch in the inner fairing panels, that maybe turned the lights on, but i cant remember anymore if they worked only when the bike was running...:eek:

The left hand switch is changed at some point, and is not original. But since there is no wiring diagram for this, it`s impossible to know if all the wires are done right:(

Ermmm..... i think it`s Vodka time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the side light and tail light on when turning the ignition on.

I get no power to the main bulbs, they also don`t lit up and go off when turning on the ignition. Cranking the starter don`t lit em up either, bike does not start at the moment, since the tank is off while i`m waiting for the quick detach connectors.

They did work when i drove it home from the sellers house three months ago, but then it had some strange switch in the inner fairing panels, that maybe turned the lights on, but i cant remember anymore if they worked only when the bike was running...:eek:

The left hand switch is changed at some point, and is not original. But since there is no wiring diagram for this, it`s impossible to know if all the wires are done right:(

Ermmm..... i think it`s Vodka time.
Aprilia Rsv 1000 used the same switch, up to 2004 they used the two position sliding (sidelight and headlight switch)
04 to 08 the switch had that sliding switch removed and ran off the the Ecu, but its the same switchgear as Benelli.
Tre 900 runs Sagem, as does the Rs (thats why the RS has a different system of light control )without the manual side/headlight switch.
If your lights once worked and now does not, it is something you have done , or dodgy connectors, are they plugged together correctly.
What was the "strange" switch in the fairing, what was it connected to and did you take it out .
put a picture of your switch on and picture of the coloured wires coming from it .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Took the switches and wires of it, also plugged and filled all the drilled holes, before sending the fairings of to paint....

My switch gear does not have the little mode button. From the looks of it, it has been added later on by the previous owners. And at standstill at least, does nothing. ( i forgot to test it on the way home )

But one of the switches on the fairing was connected to the dip beam bulb, via the ignition lock 12 v feed.

I suspected that the relay had gone, but it was ok. When i get the fuel line quick detach couplings, i can try if it lits up when the bike starts...

The loom is now in 100% original state, i took all the previous owners attachments of it, and re soldered and TESA taiped the whole damn thing to original looking spec.

Anyways, i do need the original left hand switch gear no matter what!!!

·
1,228 Posts
Makes me smile

It’s awesome that we always have someone able to answer these random question. The best repository of info in the world!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Took the switches and wires of it, also plugged and filled all the drilled holes, before sending the fairings of to paint....

My switch gear does not have the little mode button. From the looks of it, it has been added later on by the previous owners. And at standstill at least, does nothing. ( i forgot to test it on the way home )

But one of the switches on the fairing was connected to the dip beam bulb, via the ignition lock 12 v feed.

I suspected that the relay had gone, but it was ok. When i get the fuel line quick detach couplings, i can try if it lits up when the bike starts...

The loom is now in 100% original state, i took all the previous owners attachments of it, and re soldered and TESA taiped the whole damn thing to original looking spec.

Anyways, i do need the original left hand switch gear no matter what!!!

DSCF1465.JPG

Well I have got one of these spare, brand new, yes it is Benelli ,not Aprilia

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
This is on at the moment, i believe this is from some Aprilia.... Switchgear.jpg

Does your switch have the mode button at the front?

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is on at the moment, i believe this is from some Aprilia.... View attachment 34783

Does your switch have the mode button at the front?

Yes , that is an 04-08 Aprilia RSV 1000 switch
Is that weird button your mode switch ?
Your 1130 Tre should have that style switch with an underslung mode button. I can send a pic if you want to see it .
Yes the switchgear I have is the Benelli with the underslung mode button wired through the yellow multipin plug shown.
It is for the standard 900 Tre originally. I think it will work on the 1130 Tre with the switch on to headlights, if it is off the lights will not work (does that make sense )
I would like to see that "strange " switch you removed.
Did the previous owner devise an over ride "lights off" switch ?
One thing I have learnt is "Dont mess with the electrics" Italians have a system that can go horribly wrong .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I`m told it is the mode button.

I haven`t messed with the electrics, i`m trying to "un pimp" and restore it to original.

Have you tried your switch? Does it work?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I`m told it is the mode button.

I haven`t messed with the electrics, i`m trying to "un pimp" and restore it to original.

Have you tried your switch? Does it work?
If you mean the switchgear pictured , I have never used it, it is brand new.
Never been on a bike . but yes my mode switch works on all my bikes Tre 900, RS and 1130 Tre.

Got any pictures of what you actually bought originally, I think you were very brave, buying it as it was . I would have walked away.
I am sure you can get it back to original , best of luck .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I only have pictures from the sides:eek:

I bought it as a project, alltough a drivable one, everything worked on it, was just VERY tatty.

What does the mode button actually do?

By the way, i have bought two 996 Dukes with broken cranks, one MV F4 with snapped rod, and a non running Bimota SB6, so this is still minor.....:D Yes, i have got this Italian thing pretty bad!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I only have pictures from the sides:eek:

I bought it as a project, alltough a drivable one, everything worked on it, was just VERY tatty.

What does the mode button actually do?

By the way, i have bought two 996 Dukes with broken cranks, one MV F4 with snapped rod, and a non running Bimota SB6, so this is still minor.....:D Yes, i have got this Italian thing pretty bad!

Pictures; would still like to see what you actually bought, was it cheap ?

Mode button : it allows you to "play " with the clocks and re set the trip meter etc, I have got lap timers etc on some of my other bikes, never used them .

Your current left hand switches; I think they are probably the original one for the bike , they match my 1130 Tre. The mode button is unreliable, it is a make/break micro switch
You can resurrect them by using the other two poles in the switch , if you still had it.
There are alternatives you can use in the controls you have.:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The first pic i took while riding it home.

Honestly, it is very well riding bike, just was missing a "few" services along the way:p

But its nothing a 7 month arctic winter darkness and a bit of Vodka cant fix, done it before, and doing it again.

This switch now on, has never had the mode button at the front. There are no evidence of it anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
The first pic i took while riding it home.

Honestly, it is very well riding bike, just was missing a "few" services along the way:p

But its nothing a 7 month arctic winter darkness and a bit of Vodka cant fix, done it before, and doing it again.

This switch now on, has never had the mode button at the front. There are no evidence of it anyways.
Well it looks OK in that picture.
it has a silver rear subframe/ seat frame , the original was black.
7 months of winter darkness, me I am a daylight person, not overly fond of vodka either , so roll on the spring here for me .

41 - 60 of 120 Posts