Benelli Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
No reason not to love Vodka.... makes you survive the darkness:rolleyes:

The subframe is black, or rather was, someone had started to remove the paint from it. So i soda blasted it clean, and went through it with scotch pad, and its now brushed aluminium with clear coat.

I will take some pictures of it at its current state after a nut and bolt resto. I went through every part of this thing, and i still am, the front end is still on the " to do " list.

·
Registered
909 Posts
How much you want from it?
Let us check it works with your bike. It is a 12 pin plug with all pins used , but they may use different pin positions, because of the brake light switch (2 pins) mode switch (2 pins) light switch (another 2 pins). They may be straight wired in your switch.
picture of top and bottom rows of wires and colours. Is yours anything like this ?
It may be easier to get one of those mini switches I used in the switch to make the mode button function , you have the wiring there already and when you get it running you can check .
The mode button function is a little hit and miss as standard.
I suspect the mode function failed on your bike and this was the first attempt to get it to work again, it usually is the switch button itself. DSCF1468.JPG DSCF1469.JPG

·
Registered
909 Posts
Here are my colors.
I thought there may be a problem.
I can see 4 different colour cables in your plug to the one I have. Which colour cables do you have on the mode switch wires . which pins correspond in the plug.
Picture 1 and picture 2 what colours do you see ? 1-6 across the plug ? for each side ?
Why not see if your mode "button " works , when you get it running.
Then we can have a re think on your best option.

Good job you have plenty of darkness hours and a good supply of Vodka . happy new year when it happens .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Low beam lits up when i started the bike, hi beam bulb was faulty, so not 100% confirmed it works.

Mode button works every now and again :)

Going to redo the test tonight, and sync the TB`s while im running it. Let`s see how it goes....

·
Registered
909 Posts
"mode button works now and again"

Yes all mine are a bit like that, I think if you got a new one ,it would do the same, sometimes mine wont reset the trip meter and starts to go through the options , lap timer ,miles and klms etc.
I disconnect the battery briefly and re connect , usually cures it. I did think of putting a switch through the permanent live fuse (no 6 the 5 amp)
but it has never worried me that much.
I would source one of the micro switches I sent pictures of and just tidy up the lefthand switch gear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
"mode button works now and again"

Yes all mine are a bit like that, I think if you got a new one ,it would do the same, sometimes mine wont reset the trip meter and starts to go through the options , lap timer ,miles and klms etc.
I disconnect the battery briefly and re connect , usually cures it. I did think of putting a switch through the permanent live fuse (no 6 the 5 amp)
but it has never worried me that much.
I would source one of the micro switches I sent pictures of and just tidy up the lefthand switch gear.
Yeah, i think that`s a plan, just want to make the switch as standard looking as possible.

Do you remember at what temp should the fans start? Was thinking of testing them while i sync the throttle bodies. Otherwise it seems to work as intended, although the fuel consumption is still as alarming as it ever was, i poured 3,5 litres to dry tank, and ran it for a couple of 10-15 minute cycles with the rear of the tank lifted up a bit, and it already started to cough....

It seems to leave like a litre or so at the bottom when the pump runs dry?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Simple answer, my bike runs at about 92 C and then the fans cut in.
Fuel consumption, yes they love the go juice, you have one of the most gas loving bikes ever . they do about 100 miles /160 klms to the tank full, to the brim.
Even less with and good nailing in the gears, it aint chep , but hell its good fun.
Normal road use, with a bit of common sense, 160/180 miles to the fuel light , say 200 klms .ish.
So it costs a bit more for out for a blast, but who else are you going to meet thats got one.
Is that not why you bought it . DSCF0956.JPG

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So is 90 C about half way on the temp gauge? The gauge does not seem too accurate, mine was just a tad over half way, but i could still touch the hoses.

I remember it being constantly half way when i drove it home, went to about 3/4 on the gauge when sitting at stop and go traffic, but didn`t feel or hear if the fans went on or not.

Ran out of gas (again) while warming it up for sync last evening:eek: Still excited to see how off they really are, i bet they are way off.....

The fact you cant see anyone on these bikes is clear, have you heard the saying " why did i do this to myself " by buying one of these italo/chinese mental health destructers:D

·
Registered
909 Posts
So is 90 C about half way on the temp gauge? The gauge does not seem too accurate, mine was just a tad over half way, but i could still touch the hoses.

I remember it being constantly half way when i drove it home, went to about 3/4 on the gauge when sitting at stop and go traffic, but didn`t feel or hear if the fans went on or not.

Ran out of gas (again) while warming it up for sync last evening:eek: Still excited to see how off they really are, i bet they are way off.....

The fact you cant see anyone on these bikes is clear, have you heard the saying " why did i do this to myself " by buying one of these italo/chinese mental health destructers:D

Temperature gauge is known to be a guessometer, do not take any notice of the position of the needle. Yes they do warm up quickly if you come to rest, or get caught in traffic.
there is no flow through the radiator without forward motion, hence the need for fans.

Fuel , buy 5 litres next time and just start the bike, let it run and wait for the fans to cut in, that will give you a guide as to where the gauge shows when they trigger.

The reason you see so few is because they made less than 200 1130 Tre Tornado,s. You have the second colour option,, I have the first, there were a couple of odd ,one off colours .

"Italo/chinese" ? these bikes are pure Italian built in Pesaro. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Oh I have probably one of the less than 10 running in south america, and the sinlge one in Uruguay.

I purchased it 0km and it now has 3000km, its not so hard to make the bike reliable after you fix al the original bugs and all the time related issues (o rings, seals, fuel lines, etc, etc).

I'm sure my bike is now reliable as any jap bike, but it sill has its character so to speak :)

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
by buying one of these italo/chinese mental health destructers
There is NO Chinese in that baby. It's fully Italian. Thank god!!! :clap::bow::clap:

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,398 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I thought they were made under Chinese ownership, my bad then.

Never knew that only 200 were made, i was thinking of buying another one actually, there is an 1130 TRE for sale less than 300km away from me, that has only done 2000km. It has been in the sales room for years:eek:

Its cheap as chips, and might turn valuable someday?

·
Registered
909 Posts

Never knew that only 200 were made, i was thinking of buying another one actually, there is an 1130 TRE for sale less than 300km away from me, that has only done 2000km. It has been in the sales room for years:eek:

They are not an investment , yet.
If you do not want it, let me know where it is, p m obviously. there will be interest for it , that is for sure .
Quite how to get it back to the UK, is a problem now.
It is a long way to get it transported, one hell of a road trip , that is also for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Its cheap as chips,
Cheap as chips in Finland sounds like bloody expensive to us Brits.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

To be fair, the chinese (QJ) bought benelli in 2005 so yes it was in their ownership when the 1130s were built. However in those days all Benelli 900/1130 design and manufacturing was in house in Italy. Since the demise of those models i understand only a small design studio remains, with all manufacturing in China

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Cant help comparing Benelli to Bimota, another small italian manufacturer. the values of most of their late 80s/90s models are in the 6-10k range in the uk....ie barely kept up with inflation, if at all.

Therefore doubt if any of the benelli models will ever be truly valuable.............. maybe the cafe racer? rarity of the 1130 tornado should mean a margin over the 900 though. Worth buying if truly cheap as they will have bottomed in value right now but doubt it will ever provide a significant financial return ( better off filling a garage with 90s fireblades and R1s, maybe a mint srad if that be the priority)

Would love to be proved wrong though:D in the meantime i will just keep enjoying mine.......:ele:

Reactions: ron d
61 - 80 of 120 Posts