Benelli Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Now i had enough fuel, sync was somewhat out. Pictured here is my homemade setup, it uses fluid damped gauges with an adjustable hanger thingy. Made it years ago, has proven itself many times with different bikes and air cooled Porsche`s.

Also added the test results of the OEM injectors, two were clogged..... It still ran, although with serious vibrations. (not many of you understand Finnish, but i think you can understand the figures?)

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
The only downside is the 1130 will probably kill you and be written off before it becomes valuable. Lively beast the 1130 motor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The only downside is the 1130 will probably kill you and be written off before it becomes valuable. Lively beast the 1130 motor.
I`m more worried about technical issues causing death and carnage.

Seen some nasty stuff with these italian things, like the regulator/rectifier catching fire on my 996 in the middle of Hamburg rush hour in traffic lights!

Actually i like the 1130 triple engine, something docile about it, rubberband (ish) torque and makes me feel relaxed even.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Now i had enough fuel, sync was somewhat out. Pictured here is my homemade setup, it uses fluid damped gauges with an adjustable hanger thingy. Made it years ago, has proven itself many times with different bikes and air cooled Porsche`s.

Also added the test results of the OEM injectors, two were clogged..... It still ran, although with serious vibrations. (not many of you understand Finnish, but i think you can understand the figures?)
Good figures there Tommi,

Injectors are they 4 hole ones, if so crescent shaped in an arc 50 micron or 4 in a square 60 micron one (later version)
there is an improvement injector availalble , either 12 hole Denso (green) or Bosch ones. they are an improvement . both fuel economy and general running .

Interestingly , I turn the tank to face backwards, supported over the seat subframe, it gives me more room to see what is going on.
Is that a spare Red Tre tank you have as well ?

did you get it up to temperature and the fans cut in ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Good figures there Tommi,

Injectors are they 4 hole ones, if so crescent shaped in an arc 50 micron or 4 in a square 60 micron one (later version)
there is an improvement injector availalble , either 12 hole Denso (green) or Bosch ones. they are an improvement . both fuel economy and general running .

Interestingly , I turn the tank to face backwards, supported over the seat subframe, it gives me more room to see what is going on.
Is that a spare Red Tre tank you have as well ?
I think these are the first version, i have the 12 hole Bosch injectors as well.

I made a setup so i can support the tank with straps, there`s plenty of room like that to sync the TB`s. The tank is the one that came with the bike, its now red/black by the way:D

The fans cut in at near 3/4 on the temp gauge. I did the sync while they ran, since them running changes the figures quite a bit. And they now stay even when the fans cut off....

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I`m more worried about technical issues causing death and carnage.

Seen some nasty stuff with these italian things, like the regulator/rectifier catching fire on my 996 in the middle of Hamburg rush hour in traffic lights!

Actually i like the 1130 triple engine, something docile about it, rubberband (ish) torque and makes me feel relaxed even.
Not just italians.........reg rec went on fire on my Triumph 055i Daytona............. just as i got off the ferry from the Isle of Mull............. at 7.30 at night.......not particularly convenient :doh:
Agree on the 1130 engine characteristics, reasonably powerful but actually quite low revving and soft power delivery, if anything the 900 is far more "lively"

·
Registered
873 Posts
1130 engines

"Reasonably powerful but quite low revving, with soft power delivery"

I think that has more to do with gearing, particularly on the 1130 Tre.
I run the same rear tyre on all bikes for the road , 190 50 17,s
900 Tre runs at 16 mph per 1000 rpm in sixth
900 Rs runs 15 mph and has noticeably more thrust out of corners in all gears, but the 1130 pulls 20 mph per 1000 in sixth so at 80 mph it is only pulling 4000 rpm.
Try dropping the ratio one on the front if you want it lively, they get even thirstier then.
Get up to 60 ish ( 4 x 16) on the 900 Tre in top and crack the throttle wide open, then you will see the difference.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Once again a new question.

Attachment of the air funnel, what kinda bush, grommet and bolt should there be? Mine was not attached with anything, and i suspect there should be like an collar/bush and grommet maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Once again a new question.

Attachment of the air funnel, what kinda bush, grommet and bolt should there be? Mine was not attached with anything, and i suspect there should be like an collar/bush and grommet maybe?
That looks like the ambient temperature sensor to me, which is usually rubber strapped to the front fairing frame as you have shown it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I mean the bolt hole at the front of the air intake tube. I suspect that it should be attached to the headlight housing through the hole, with a bolt and a bush?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
existing bolt..

hi could you not just use the existing bolt that is right there to attach it ?.. it looks made for the job to me .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
hi could you not just use the existing bolt that is right there to attach it ?.. it looks made for the job to me .
Actually no, the funnell cant be touching the headlight housing, there needs to be a spacer/bush so it lines up with the front fairing hole.

Like 6 - 8mm rubber grommet that has an metal bush inside, so it lines it up right to the front fairing. But problem is, that the parts diagrams don`t even know that the little hole exist`s....:eek:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I mean the bolt hole at the front of the air intake tube. I suspect that it should be attached to the headlight housing through the hole, with a bolt and a bush?

Sorry Tommi,

Did not read question properly..
There is an aluminium "bobbin" fitted to the screen /fairing frame, pic 1
A longer hex set mushroom head goes through the air duct (black so you can not see it well) from inside the air intake.
Clear nylon washer underneath it bolts the end of the duct to the bobbin, through to the fairing frame.
This is my 900 Tre, but they are the same . DSCF1472.JPG DSCF1474.JPG

It was the easiest one to take the the inner fairing cover out of, and shine a light on to show you the fixing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
aluminium bobbin

It is 14 mm dia,, a straight tube will do, and approx 21 mm long.
Have you got one on the other side, fixing the air intake correctly for a pattern ?

·
5,866 Posts
It is 14 mm dia,, a straight tube will do,
You don't really want to flatten the plastic by using it to tighten the screw against. Better to do as the oem bobbin does, and just protrude through the plastic. That way the screw tightens onto the aluminium and the plastic can move ever so slightly. You see this done all around the bike where plastic needs to be held in place, through the use of shouldered screws and washers.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You don't really want to flatten the plastic by using it to tighten the screw against. Better to do as the oem bobbin does, and just protrude through the plastic. That way the screw tightens onto the aluminium and the plastic can move ever so slightly. You see this done all around the bike where plastic needs to be held in place, through the use of shouldered screws and washers.

I only meant , it does not need to be so ornate, a solid bit of ally tube bar tapped and threaded. If he has a good one on the other air intake, he can copy it .
Simple job with a lathe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I made spacers from alloy, didn`t have one on either side.

All good now, thanks again big time for taking the time to help!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Slowly getting it back to looking like a bike again. Does anyone have a source for seat covers?

Loads on fleabay, but they are vinyl versions , there was a company offering genuine leather ones, some come upon the forum.
You can get them with a colour highlight (in your case red now)
I would suggest you put in bit more padding in when you change it, makes it much more comfortable on the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Loads on fleabay, but they are vinyl versions , there was a company offering genuine leather ones, some come upon the forum.
You can get them with a colour highlight (in your case red now)
I would suggest you put in bit more padding in when you change it, makes it much more comfortable on the road.
Actually i like the hard seat:) I was looking at those Ebay versions, but i would rather not go vinyl, thinking it might be quite slippy?

81 - 100 of 120 Posts