Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new here and this is my first question.

Do anyone have pics of walbro ecu inside they can share? Without the goo :)
I have found some but it hard to see what markings some parts have.
Thats why i need some in good quality. Mostly i need backside this time.
Think this ecu is in more bikes than 1130 thats why i posted it in general.

Like the pic i have upload but in better quality. (I have borrowed this pic think its ok)

Thanks in advance //Oskar

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Will do some repairs on one but some of the parts dont have any markings anymore.
I dont trust my measures either,not that i dont trust my tools, more that parts could have been damaged.
Some resistors as an example they are 0ohms,of course it could be if used as bridge or "fuse", but i dont think they should be in this case.

I just assumed that its used in other Benelli bikes not just the 1130 but i dont know :)

· Registered
1,167 Posts
What do Triumph use, the similarities for Triumph triples to the Benelli is startling , injectors, fuel pump , stepper motor, TPS are all common. Tune ECU have comparable mapping for both. Do they use Sagem of Walbro ?
Walbro are unlikely to have produced a custom ECU purely for the Benelli, 1130 and 899 range. They are mappable , flashed or what ever else you want to call it.

· Registered
127 Posts
What do Triumph use, .... Do they use Sagem of Walbro ?
first Triumph used Sagem as Benelli for Tornado 900, then Triumph switched to Keihin. Walbro and Keihin have different ECU connector plugs for all Triumph ECUs I've checked so far :(

Picture: made by Laurence White
Walbro is on top of the Sagem
Walbro = TNT, TRE-K & Tornado 1130
Sagem = Tornado 900

· Registered
1,167 Posts
yes , I know they are different, but the point I was making . The Walbo , has to be fitted to different bikes.
totally different programmed map installed for the OEM bike , but get one, OEM cancel remap and load a tune Ecu remal

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Walbro have been used by Bimota and Aprilia for sure. Surely they could be contacted and identify what unit was used in what models.
Another thought would be to contact Tune Ecu to see if more information is available.

· Registered
127 Posts
Walbro have been used by Bimota and Aprilia for sure.
Any idea what Aprilia models?
Bimota would not be of much help as they suffer from same parts shortage as Benelli.

Surely they could be contacted and identify what unit was used in what models.
Well I was working for an American company that did shut down a complete product division, the experience there makes me less optimistic.
It seems Walbro Italy branch owning this ECU business was shut down around 2009 during the finance crisis (like Benelli).
Retrieving such details is a kind of "business archeology" but documents for the time around 2009 have likely long ago been destroyed.
Usually standard corporate support channels only provide information on active products.
Relationships with OEMs (like Benelli or Aprilia) are treated as business secret.
Would you mind to explore this route with Walbro?

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Any idea what Aprilia models?
Bimota would not be of much help as they suffer from same parts shortage as Benelli.

Well I was working for an American company that did shut down a complete product division, the experience there makes me less optimistic.
It seems Walbro Italy branch owning this ECU business was shut down around 2009 during the finance crisis (like Benelli).
Retrieving such details is a kind of "business archeology" but documents for the time around 2009 have likely long ago been destroyed.
Usually standard corporate support channels only provide information on active products.
Relationships with OEMs (like Benelli or Aprilia) are treated as business secret.
Would you mind to explore this route with Walbro?
Seeing what I can find out , I have contacts in Italy , so will update ,when I get some feed back.

· Registered
127 Posts
Found the confirmation in Nel vicentino, l’industria italiana Athena verso un centro d’eccellenza per la motoristica

"March 26, 2009
In Vicenza, the Italian Athena industry towards a center of excellence for motorsport
Athena S.p.a., the Vicenza group active in the sector of endothermic engine components, has acquired the small research center of Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna) from the American multinational Walbro. Known as Walbro Italy, he specializes in the production of electronic systems to make engines more performing.

In Vicenza, the Italian industry is taking place towards a center of excellence for motorsport

Alonte (VICENZA) March 26, 2009- Athena S.p.a., the Vicenza group founded 35 years ago by the entrepreneur Gianni Mancassola and active in the sector of endothermic permotor components, acquired small research center from Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna) from the American multinational Walbroil. Known as Walbro Italy, it specializes in the production of electronic systems to make the engines more performing. With the acquisition, the management of the Vicenza area continues with the aim of creating a center of excellence, capable of treating all engine departments. Athena started dealing with control units in 2007, purchasing the GET brand and founding Athena Evolution.

Walbro Italy was born in 1985 as "TTD" from the inventiveness of a group of technicians who, before creating the new company, worked at MagnetiMarelli. Subsequently it was acquired by Walbro, who, however, always let it work as an independent structure, exploiting electronic technologies for sale on the market or integration with its products, purely mechanical. In almost twenty-five years of work, Walbro Italy has oriented its activity mainly in the sector, starting in 1986 with sports injections for the Formula 3 engines and becoming, a year later, the official supplier of LamborghiniMarine for the 1987 Off Shore World Championship.

Walbro Italy patents will be an integral part of the Athena project, which will use them to enhance their presence in the sports world, together with the technologies developed for the GET brand, operating in the sector of data acquisition systems via GPS, in engine management control units, injections electronic for off road motorcycles. The Vicenza group has been supplying the Yamaha of the R SeriesCup for four years with GET material and is a partner and supplier of some of the strong off-road stables, such as Red Bull Yamaha de Carli, Martin Honda, Teka Suzuki and others. Athena's offer of electronic technologies will not be limited, however, to solo sport, but will also be destined for the series: the group provides for the stipulation of supply contracts with the main manufacturers in the automotive and motorcycle sectors, to which it already supplies components for engines.

Athena's headquarters are located in Alonte, but the industry is home to nine factories between Italy and abroad, for a total of six hundreds. Abroad, it is present with branches in Brazil, India and the United States. On the national territory it is based in Carmagnola (TO), in Montreale Valcellina (PN); in Erchie (BR). Using the subsidiary ATHENA EvolutionSrl, it produces integrated electronics and mechanics kits including control units, special drains and thermal groups."

· Registered
127 Posts
The person that could answer is probably BRAD ROCHE
from https://www.walbro.com/executives/brad-roche/

Brad Roche is the Chief Technology Officer and President of Aftermarket Products for Walbro LLC. Brad joined Walbro in 2008 as an Embedded Software Engineer at Walbro Italy in Bologna, Italy. Prior to joining the Walbro team, Brad held technical positions in powertrain development at Polaris Inc. and software development at BRP US Inc.
Being the recipient of a number of patents for both Walbro and Polaris, Brad and the teams he has led have been responsible for a number of innovations for the organizations he’s been a part of. He was responsible for the organic growth of a technology-based Development Team at Walbro, leveraging a cross-functional team of software developers, mechanical, electrical, and manufacturing engineers to develop new technologies in sustainable power solutions. Prior to CTO and President, Brad held the role of Engineering Manager of the New Product Development Team which developed and launched Walbro’s various EFI products. Brad brings a passion for software and data analytics based solutions to business optimization to the Aftermarket Products team.
Brad attended Kettering University with a dual-major in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. He and his wife reside in Michigan with their daughter. In his spare time, his interests include family, autocross, rallycross, and motorcycling.

· Registered
127 Posts
User idaka in German forum provided below information:
""I know that Bimota had installed e.g. in the VDue a Walbro ECU. However, a different type than Benelli. Ducati always had Magneti Marelli until the Panigale. From then on Mitsubishi or Siemens/Continental. Aprillia I only know current with Magneti Marelli. But I know that Walbro Tuning has built ECUs for 911 Porsche, for motorsport. Greetings" "

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all answers and its interesting, but seems thread has gone off track from my original question :)

I have another pic (its borrowed too) were i have made some marks. This pic is better quaility but its still hard to see markings.
These areas i want better resolution pics off, if its possible to get hold on?

For example. In the upper circle, the 4 resistors in horizontal line, should the all be SMD100 = 10ohm ?

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Microcontroller

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much both Ilijasrb and Rick67 for the pics, it helped me alot.
All of the resistors were right on my board. Resoldered all pcb back and front. Havnt tested it yet hopefully that will do the trick.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
If it were possible to identify which components that fail linked to each problem then that would be awesome. Main problems I am aware of are ,coils not firing, no fuel pump, unable to connect tuneecu, maybe even reload firmware.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts