Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Was one of the original members of the forum and had a deposit on a 900 Tre back in 2002 before the US importer fiasco. After that and reading the forum about reliability issues w/ the 900 I cooled it for awhile.

But now I'm wondering if I should jump back in w/ the 1130?

I currently have a '00 Gixxer 750 track bike and a '93 VFR street bike. I'm thinking about selling both and buying a Tre for street riding and track days. Am I insane? Have they fixed the electrical, overheating, clutch, etc issues from the 900?

Also, can these things be had in the US easily? I have a dealer near me in San Francisco - I'm planning to go visit them soon but wanted to get the forum's thoughts on the 1130.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmmm...the question for me is: what are you looking for?

As far as I know, the Tornado 900 never had real big problems.

If those "problems" already scare you away, maybe you should keep your hands off of it. Remember that you need passion and patience for an italian motorbike. I am riding a Ducati 37.000km without problems. But you should take care of your "bella".

Besides that, I guess you can´t find a motorcycle without any technical "issue". If you check all the Honda Fireblade, Suzuki Gixxer and Yamaha R1 forums, you will learn about REAL problems.

So, don´t think too much about your prejudices. I guess that THINKING is exactly the wrong way to buy this kind of bike. Let your feelings overwhelm you and love your bike as much as you can. No matter if it is working or not.

Then, you will come back home after a nice ride, take a chair... open a bottle of wine.. sit down in front of your bike and feel happy.

Just my 5 cents

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Where are you located? I'm in Oakland and have had my 900 since Oct 2005. I've had no real problems with the bike, just the dash resetting issue once in a while, but have Engenia's solution for that. I've put around 9000 miles on it and it's a blast to ride. The 1130s are just starting to trickle into the US, not sure if Munroe Motors has one yet. There's also Suzuki of Oakland, who are a Benelli dealership as well. I may be taking my 900 there for its next service, as I was not very pleased with the job Munroe did on my first service.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I too have that passion and patience needed for Italian ownership ;)
However I don't necessarily agree with all that 'hang loose' has to say. In particular
As far as I know, the Tornado 900 never had real big problems.
The clutch basket/alternator gears could be a terminal problem. Peace of mind would necessitate their replacement with the upgraded 8mm parts.

So, don´t think too much about your prejudices. I guess that THINKING is exactly the wrong way to buy this kind of bike. Let your feelings overwhelm you and love your bike as much as you can. No matter if it is working or not.
I believe you must do your homework (check out our very own, Errol's site :bow:) to know the issues. Then find either a sorted bike or one that can be readily sorted, may need a mechanic with good Benelli knowledge.
Finally as with all Italian's never neglect her, she'll bite you in the *rse :bawl:

IMHO a well sorted and serviced 900 Tre is an ideal mixture of style and excitement that leaves you the owner/rider with a sense of pride :ele: :ele:

Then, you will come back home after a nice ride, take a chair... open a bottle of wine.. sit down in front of your bike and feel happy.
- this one I have to agree with - as I can't get green/silver wine, it has to be a nice bottle of red :D

·
5,928 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you (actually, I believe I do), but ...

The grin starts when I wake up, knowing I'm taking Nell for a ride.

The grin stops when I fall asleep that night ..... but I can't confirm that. It may in fact continue through the night. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Give me a ring with the specifics of the bike you're after and when you want it. If I don't have it in stock, I'll try to locate one for you and get the best price possible. Right now I have 2 Sport Evo's (1 black, 1 white), 1 Amazonas, and 1 Tre K. There were less than 25 Tornado's imported into the US this year and many have already sold through. I'll do everything possible to make it easy and worth your while to come on down to Simi Valley Benelli in Moorpark, CA.
Paul Pecoraro 805-552-9555
www.SimiMotorsports.com
www.SimiBenelli.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
red 900 tre

If you are looking for a Benelli in the US i have a 2003 all red 900 TRE with under 1700 miles on it. The cluth upgrade has been installed and i have a PC3 on it i looking to get red of it at a really desent price give me a call if your interested 260 249 9434 matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have been passively following the efforts to "fix" the 900's and that's the kind of knowledge I look forward to having on this board. Engenia your website is brilliant.

That being said, I agree w/ BobW that a little homework can make for a large savings down the road.

So the crux of my question is whether the 1130's have all the "fixes" incorporated and are as trouble-free as say a Ducati or Aprillia? Are there even enough 1130's out there yet to know?

For the Americans on the list, are Benelli dealers honoring any kind of warranty on 900's since (I believe) nearly all of them are grey-market? This would be my first non-Japanese bike so I'm a bit nervous about buying one without a warranty.

ducboyjr, I'm in San Mateo.

·
5,928 Posts
How come the 1130 beaks drive shafts, and the 900 doesn't?

The 1130 is essentially the same as the 900. Although Nathan has discovered that trying to morph the 900 into an 1130 is an expensive exercise.

The 900 paved the way, but, probably because it WASN'T made by Benelli, (I'm thinking it's tolerances were a little looser) it didn't show up the problems that the 1130 is known for (and some RS900's). So the engine didn't start breaking alternator shafts until the tolerances were reduced to the point where non-concentricity became a problem.

The problem with the engine appears to have been there from the start - the intermediate gear & the Z25 gear haven't been spinning true. When the engine heated up, the gear clearance went negative and something had to give. First it was the clutch housing (so they beefed it up), then the intermediate gear (so they beefed it up), then the alternator drive shaft. It was always the weakest part that broke. At this stage, I think the penny dropped. They then redesigned the alternator drive shaft & Z25 gear to mate true, in 1 position only (line up the marks on each part). The gear diameter was also reduced, to increase the clearance, and the shaft was strengthened, omitting an oil hole.

(For the record though, I'm guessing that the clutch housing problem was related to this problem. Maybe not.)
So, what I'm trying to say, is that the 1130 will be totally reliable, if it's had it's updates done. If not, it could be a time bomb, :blowup: but if the tolerances have worked in it's favour, it'll be fine. :ele:
You have to ask yourself something
"Do I feel lucky?"
Well
Do ya' punk?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think you should buy an LE. I only have one new one left. No probs, tons of goodies, and extremely rare in the USA.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think you should buy an LE. I only have one new one left. No probs, tons of goodies, and extremely rare in the USA.
I love the LE, which is in itself very understated for a (previously) expensive and (still) rare bike. To an unknowing eye, no real difference to the standard Tre.
Dressed in expensive magnesium bits and covered with carbon fibre. The attention to fine detail goes throughout the bike. Things like the logo are relief on the painted carbon fibre panels, showing the name in carbon fibre.
As a road bike, I doubt if anyone would notice the benefits of the pricey Ohlins setup. The engine is pretty much the same as the Tre. Centre of gravity would be a little lower, due to various changes but again nothing major to affect it as a road bike. It is a very similar job to what MV Agusta did with their F4 Series Oro, likewise Ducati have also created expensive limited edition SPS versions over the years.
All in all I may 'oggle' at the LE, but I'll stick with riding my Tre.

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
1130 on the dock

1130 reliability with precaution:

I took Nelli (1130, yes) to service 200km away, and there they found there is a crack in the clutch basket. Nero may know if his bike had the same earlier this summer.

The mechanics there has got some guidelines from the factory, and I also forwarded Engenia's analysis to them as well. I'll report on the the thread what was the solution under warranty as soon as I can, because:

:eek:
When I took here up there, the bike was running flawlessly:D. My coil replacement operation was most likely too an early effort, because the running problems were eventually caused by water, or some other (younameit) in the gasoline. It was not only from the continuous rains of the summer but from some petrol station (all Nelli owners visit them quite often).

I was prepared to spend a day-off at the garage, but when I arrived the nite before at local hotel, a text msg was waiting: "How are you going to travel to the meeting in Helsinki tomorrow?" :bawl: Wasn't I an early bird in freezing cold (-3 celsius) riding her to the garage, dropping the keys in the mailbox, taking taxi back to the railway station, a three and half hour train ride to the meeting guys wearing black ties, me in biker's outfit, shaken but not shaved. :doh: And then back home by train another three hours, leaving Nelli alone at the hands of the repairmen :eek:

Well, parking was free (the bright side).:rolling:

·
Registered
13 Posts
1130 Tre

Recently took delivery of a 1130 Tornado...green/silver...just turned 400 miles...love the bike...pretty quick turning into a corner considering it's weight...fabulous motor

·
5,928 Posts
Recently took delivery of a 1130 Tornado...green/silver...just turned 400 miles...love the bike...pretty quick turning into a corner considering it's weight...fabulous motor
Drop the forks 5-10mm through the triple clamps, and it'll turn in even quicker!

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Did you get it from Simi Valley Benelli? I visited Paul there a couple of weeks ago - a great guy with a real nice dealership.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Did you get it from Simi Valley Benelli? I visited Paul there a couple of weeks ago - a great guy with a real nice dealership.
I met Paul Pecaro when he was over here in ENGLAND ! He was visiting the Triumph convention in Birmingham, a real Gentleman to say the least. :bow:

I'm sure you wouldn't find a more decent retailer.:clap:

p.s. Did I mention I'd recently purchased a Triumph Thruxton :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
1130 Tornado

Got it from Moto Forza in Escondido...formerly Ducati of Oceanside...the owner's name is "Balz"..real enthusiast..road racer...best experience(s) I've ever had at a dealership

1 - 17 of 17 Posts