Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps, back end of last year I bought my first Benelli, a ‘74 125 2c in bits in boxes with some chroming already done. It’s come from a deceased estate so I’ve not got the full background as I’d have liked. Anyone on here got similar as I’ll be needing a hand at some point with parts mostly?. It’s not going to be a minter but just an honest ‘user’. It’ll also be to stock spec as I like classics std.
At the moment I’m not ready yet to start the build as I’ve plenty of other time absorbing interests to get straight with. Eric

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Eric.
I also have a 1974 Benelli 125 2c. Bought it over 40 years ago. Trying to keep mine standard but the engine blew up ages ago, so has one from the 125 sport. Looks similar but has different barrels. Also has a later seat. If you need any help feel free to ask

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Eric.
I also have a 1974 Benelli 125 2c. Bought it over 40 years ago. Trying to keep mine standard but the engine blew up ages ago, so has one from the 125 sport. Looks similar but has different barrels. Also has a later seat. If you need any help feel free to ask
Thats fantastic for your potential help, I'm quite close to you btw, I'm only over the hill in Holmfirth West Yorkshire. Mine came with the engine in a box of bits with one piston and barrel missing therefore this week I've just bought a 3/4 engine unit less carbs and alternator that needs work but its a better idea than building up an engine that I never took apart and its sure to have small important spacers and shims missing. I've a few bikes of various sizes and I wasnt sure what I was going to do with this one as it found me not me it. Now that I've an engine on its way throws a beautiful light on it now. I could do with some close up pictures of perhaps yours for whic way cables, wiring and things are routed? Eric

·
Registered
39 Posts
No problem. Dudley Martin who owned Speedscene moved to Holmfirth when they closed the shop. Used to sell spares from there before retiring. That would have been handy for spares.
Just give me a shout if you get stuck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine differences

You said you replaced your engine with a 'Sport', can you tell me the differences with barrels and any other as Ive no idea what I currently have (as its boxed away) and not sure what Ive bought either although Im not too bothered so long as I pair identical barrels up with matching heads?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Early 125 2c have small iron barrels and later 125 2c have large fin alloy barrels!

Reactions: Tigcraft

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s good to know. Any idea the year change? Does that mean earlier ones are built more robustly and later ones more delicate although possibly faster engine?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Eric.
Which engine are you going to use?
The alloy barrel and cast iron barrel crankcases are different, so are not interchangeable. The internal components are the same, so are interchangeable.
Do you have points or electronic ignition?
The electronic ignition has a couple of variants. The earlier ones have 2 windings, 1 for the ignition and the other for ac lighting.
The later ones have 3 windings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one I’m going to use is the alloy barrel version. I’ve just bought it off eBay as an engine less alternator and side casing so I’m about to find out which can of worms I’ve got. Would the two versions use the same carbs and down pipes at all? When the new unit turns up I’ll drag the old engine boxes out of storage and I’ll think it through then I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Eric.
The carbs are the same and the downpipes also fit both engines.
Do your exhausts have the slots in them near the ends? They are the correct ones. The later models are smooth but they will fit. The sport ones are up swept and will fit also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I do have slotted exhaust silencers. They’ve been rechromed by the previous owner so I’ve a head start. Which end of Manchester are you at btw?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well,looks like my restoration has hit a wall! I’m still waiting for my replacement engine as it can’t seem to get here...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was coming from Italy but I’ve now been refunded and bought some parts to repair the original one. Might have to pick your brains on some stuff as I’ll be assembling something I never took apart nor logged where things are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’ll be me then! Take it you had it on a watch? I might have to chat with you on how things fit since I never took it apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it’s been ages since I posted on here and I’m rather dormant with regards to the benelli at the moment as I’m on with other time stealing challenges............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts