Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a few contributors, I’ve identified my forks as the later, Series 2 style. They were manufactured by Moto Guzzi/ Benelli and used on several models. The earlier SEI’s used a Marzzochi Fork. Both styles can be found in the SEI parts listing, Series 2 is drawing 16A. The unique identifier is a “shock absorber” in the top half, above the internal spring. They look and feel very much like the door closer on a typical screen door!

In the spares that came with my SEI, I have a complete set of front forks and a pair of NOS fork lowers, still in the bags. When opened, they had typical shelf wear, so I have cleaned, polished and repainted them. Pictures soon! I dismantled one of the spare forks. The chrome tubes look perfect, so will reuse them. I’ve ordered new shocks, seals, dust caps and some other bits, from MG Cycle (Guzzi Parts) and will confirm part numbers when I know they are correct!

The plan is to build a fresh fork set, then replace the ones on my motorcycle. In the 500+ miles I put on the Benelli last Fall, it felt a bit “bouncy” up front. I suspect the shocks are shot? More to follow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sill waiting for parts, but the bike came with several kits. One set of seals is from Ariete (ARI.022). They have double springs, two wipers. The top spring recess was open, so I pressed it in first. I also have a set of Pyramid seals (FOS-012). They appear to have single oil seal, spring and top dust lip. They are more squared off at the top, so I used them for the second seal...... photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you like to ride your bikes there are possibilities for enormous improvements in the forks for not a vast spend

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dansp1........ I went through the MGCycle website and saw all the options! Thought I bring these up to original standards and then build another set with all the spring/ shock/ and cap options. Any specific suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Moto Guzzi / Benelli fork design of the 1970's / 80's use a sealed cartridge hydraulic damper inside the fork tube / leg and rated springs. The stock cartridge damper where introduced with the 1972 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport and slightly improved with the 850 T3 / Le Mans variants.

Fork suspension emulators do not work with the Moto Guzzi design but there are much better cartridge (FAC) and spring ( Progressive) options available. I have fitted FAC dampers to several Guzzi's including V7 Sport, 750S, and Le Mans bikes along with FAC dampers. It takes a lot more work to upgrade a Moto Guzzi Loop frame bike (V700, Ambassador, Eldorado) but adding FAC dampers and Progressive springs to the primitive 1960's Loop design suspension is a marked improvement.

I prefer to keep these old nails stock 'looking' and short of some minor improvements accept the period technology as is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Racetechs motto is something like the best you've ridden is the best you know, everything is possible, Maxton here in the UK will fit a full 25mm cartridge system that would have graced a race bike 15 years ago, of course there will be other limitations such as period brakes holding you up but you can have a nice plush ride and good handling!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My parts arrived from MG Cycle, Albany WI. I already had a full set of fork seals, so to rebuild to NOS standard I ordered a pair of bottom sealing washers, shocks, dust shields and top “0” ring seals. These are alllisted for Moto Guzzi, but pleased to report all identical dimensions and thread sizes and pitch! About $110, shipped. Put the first fork today, and no issues. Used 70 cc’s of fork oil and it all went together nicely.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts