Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
fresh on the heels of Angus' BenelliFest and the Scottish thread running in The Bikers Bar; 'On behalf of my wife and I'. How about a gathering of Benellis in the Scottish Highlands for 2009?

I have some strong ideas on venue and date. But before I get my head deep into it, I thought I would tout for some opinion, and helpers ;)

I would def need some local assistance for checking out condition of any proposed ride routes and location of lots of fresh petrol for thirsty Nellis (especially on Sundays)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
In a phrase from "TOP GUN" Hey Bob your dangerous but i'll be your wingman :rolling: . Count me in for helping on logistics , i would hope it would be more sensible unlike that geezers in Derbyshire that went overboard on razzamataz balloons etc :rolling: .

Good location to stay(Hotel/Pub, Good Routes looked into, Maybe tent situation for somewhere ? ie a day furthest away from Base ? and generally some way of encouraging people to come and not too be fraught over weather (my nelli's dirty but by tommorow it'll be like a new pin read - sad i am !!).

Now you've set the ball rolling Bob keep it rolling and they will come :)

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Very happy to help, supply local knowledge etc. Such a pity I couldn't make last weekend. May be able to provide a venue too .... provided folk are into camping.

Mike

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very happy to help, supply local knowledge etc. Such a pity I couldn't make last weekend. May be able to provide a venue too .... provided folk are into camping.
Mike
My proposal is Roy Bridge (not far from Fort William), using the Roy Bridge Hotel Bunkhouse which holds 20 at £12.50 per night. There is also hotel plus B&B options. If I recall correct there is a camping option for those who prefer their canvas. Hotel offers breakfasts plus other meals at reasonable costs.

I would suggest long weekend of 1st to 4th May 2009. This is the Bank Holiday weeekend. Visitors could travel there on either the Friday or Saturday depending what suits.

Oh, there are a few decent roads ;)

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Roy Bridge Hotel is an excellent idea .. used it several times ... with the BMW club!! (That was before I rediscovered my youth):rolling:

M

·
Registered
864 Posts
Count me in. I would definitely be up for that. Maybe sometime in the spring? A year is a long time to wait! :p

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Count me in. I would definitely be up for that. Maybe sometime in the spring? A year is a long time to wait! :p
Hmmm not sure when the Highland Spring arrives, but by May 'most' of the snow has gone.

Another thought was for the Scottish contingent to have a practice get-together this Autumn, snow chains optional ;)

.....If I disguise my new steed to be (Triumph Thruxton) with Benelli badges will I be able to join in ! :rolling: :D
Def :) I think any event is for Benelli owners and enthusiasts ....mind you we may have to pass it by the Scottish Elder-Statesman of the forum.... Mr White?

I'll put some Tartan on it or better still A Tart ! :rolling: (Kurt, next year I need a Celebrity Tart.......... Are you Free ?:rolling: )
Rob, don't worry! If Kurt's not available, then a somewhat older Derbyshire stunt-double would likely step in ;) Apparently this person doubles in the movies for the 'older-Kurt' and only has a few more grey hairs :p :rolling:

Bob
Wirral, UK

·
Registered
512 Posts
Absolutely yes!

Just avoid early May as I'm overseas with work and would be gutted if I missed this!

So many options in terms of routes and what to see up here but for those who are into the racing scene we could possibly plan something around the knockhill weekend?

As for the highland spring...it was yesterday...then we had an afternoon of summer, skipped autumn and we're now into winter until sometime in 2009. Blink and you miss it! Seriously though its virtually impossible to plan anything around the weather in this country let alone the West Coast of Scotland which is traditionally wet but by far the best scenery. Lucky for me I'm just outside Aberdeen which happens to be the sunniest city in Britain. (not the warmest I hasten to add). Accomodation with a roof rather than canvas would be a good call.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just avoid early May as I'm overseas with work and would be gutted if I missed this!
My thought on the early May weekend was that many people would have a 3-day Bank Holiday and some could easily make it a 4-day break by getting Friday off.
There a similar weekend at the end of May which could work. That would be Friday22nd to Monday 25th May 2009.
Easter is another possibility, but many people go on family holidays, reducing the numbers available.

So many options in terms of routes and what to see up here but for those who are into the racing scene we could possibly plan something around the knockhill weekend?
I've been in contact with someone from Scotland who should remain nameless at this time. He has provisional plans for such a weekend under canvas at a race track. But I'll leave it for him/them to expand on that when ready.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I've been in contact with someone from Scotland who should remain nameless at this time. He has provisional plans for such a weekend under canvas at a race track. But I'll leave it for him/them to expand on that when ready.
Now I wonder who that might be :rolling:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm in! Roy Bridge sounds like Ideal base, not far from the Best road in the world "the kyle of lochalshe" I would be happy to drive up and down that road till my tyres fell off! and scenery is fab too, obviously the issue here is the guys coming from down south have a long way to come in one hit, the club I'm in (centralmotorcycleclub.com) go to the Applecross highland games each year magic venue and 70% are bikers great views highest road in the u.k
campsite has static vans,cabins or just camping great facilites too, but then as I say long way for guys down south, plenty time though to bash Ideas around but sounds great
Another place we use is in Rogart near lairg(Ish) its a few ex 1st class rail carriages converted into self catering accomodation quality place and you can even get the train (if you wanted) right to the door http://www.sleeperzzz.com

Then theres Glencoe village, good base, good pub/restaurant with evening entertainment and plenty bunkhouse's youth hostels, camping etc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been playing with Autoroute. For we folks in the North, i.e. Wirral, Derbyshire and Sheffield the journey would be approx 370 miles, not the most comfortable distance on a Tornado.
One suggestion I've had would be to use a bike triler or even a car transporter(takes 4-5 bikes) as far as the Glasgow/Stirling area. This has it's benefits in radically reducing the onward journey to about 120 miles, much easier LOL

Kiddy's suggestions sound good, the train carriages are def different.
Lots of good suggestions coming in. Looks like there will be many Scottish venues each year for years to come :) ...I only need half an excuse to do the Highland roads :D

·
5,929 Posts
.... Wirral, Derbyshire and Sheffield the journey would be approx 370 miles, not the most comfortable distance on a Tornado....
:rolleyes: That's about 595 km. What's the problem?:doh:
Upcoming PI trip ...
Day 1: Canberra - Bombala - Bonang - Omeo - Buchan - Bruthen - Omeo - Anglers Rest 599km
Day 2: Mt Hotham - Bright - Mansfield - Marysville - Warburton - Phillip Island 564 km.

Now, I do understand that you guys don't get much practice in the Old Dart, summer being only 1 week, and all, but with a little time in the gym working on those forgotten quads, I reckon you should be up to it.:clap: Nelli will be.:clap:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Errol, some of us big-uns are doing well on a bike designed to fit a Pygmy ...or their Antipodean relatives :p
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
- besides who said we got a week of summer this year :bawl:

1 - 20 of 480 Posts