·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I acquired a 2009 TNT for a steal.
  • Service History: Unknown
  • Previous 500kms: As Track Bike
  • Seller sold to make way for RSV4 Trackbike

The bike runs good but makes a noise from the right hand side on idle (like a ducati but very faint):
1. The clutch prob needed adjustment (not sure if that can cause the noise)
2. I looked for z25 gear issues and other engine issues (Engina's website)
2a. I haven't found anything in the engine that looks abnormal?
2b. Engine oil looked fine, no major shavings of any kind on the magnet

Can you please help me out what else to check before I put the bike together again. Currently like this:
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Helmet Tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Crankset

Wheel Tire White Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@GBo Thanks for the reply. I have a 2007 1130CR and the engine is quieter on the right hand side.

Clutch Basket & Cam Chain Tensioner - do you have a guide/pics on how to get to them?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check the cam chain tensioner. Mine failed at around 20K klms. The pin that the ratchet pawl pivots on, came partially out and let the chain come loose. Easy enough to take out and check. Nigel.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
So I acquired a 2009 TNT for a steal.
  • Service History: Unknown
  • Previous 500kms: As Track Bike
  • Seller sold to make way for RSV4 Trackbike

The bike runs good but makes a noise from the right hand side on idle (like a ducati but very faint):
1. The clutch prob needed adjustment (not sure if that can cause the noise)
2. I looked for z25 gear issues and other engine issues (Engina's website)
2a. I haven't found anything in the engine that looks abnormal?
2b. Engine oil looked fine, no major shavings of any kind on the magnet

Can you please help me out what else to check before I put the bike together again. Currently like this:
View attachment 38134
View attachment 38133
View attachment 38135
Looks good to me, you have the later z25, engine is mega clean inside, no shrapnel stuck to the sump magnet. Yes they are very rattly engines, if they a quiet , worry. Have you tried the screwdriver to the ear approach with it running, you can locate the source of noise to at least where it is loudest. that will give you a clue.There is another member with a strange whine, now that sounds serious. Yours might just be one of the rattlers, they go on forever.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
@tractorman is there a guide anywhere on how to do this or even get started on it?

@freeatlast - this is what I have been thinking but waiting to see what others advise before I put it together again.
Look at Errol,s very useful pages on the Tornado. He describes and gives pictures on the amount of travel, how often you should check it and the safe working range of the adjuster. Normal cam chain life is about 20K klms.
The cam chain adjuster is on the right hand side of the engine held to the back of the block by two 10 mm bolts. It is spring loaded and will extend when you take it out. you need to compress it , to re adjust itself on re installation.
Another way of checking , but it needs more work is removing the cam /rocker cover to check the alignment of the timing marks. They should line up horizontally when the crankshaft timing is set spot on. If they dont you may need to replace the cam chain, it will have stretched !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts