Benelli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2020 302S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 302S and have been finding it increasing more difficult to start. The motor cranks but it takes 30-45 seconds to turn the engine over. Once I get it started and I've been riding for 15 minutes, there's no problem. When the engine cools down, it's a struggle again. Lately it's been stalling at red lights when I first start riding it. The closest dealership is 45 km minutes away, but I've got a Suzuki/Kawasaki/Honda dealership three minutes away that's looking at it. They're puzzled. They told me if they could find anything , they'd transport it to the dealership, but that's a pain in the arse. Anyone have ideas as to what might be causing this issue?

· Registered
131 Posts
How many miles on it? Sounds like tight valves, but the first adjustment interval on the 302S is at 15,000 miles.
First things first, do you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to the on position?
If that's working, then pull off a plug wire, put a spare plug into it, ground the plug against the frame, and in deep shadow or darkness try and start the bike. Do you get fat, hot, white spark? If not, there's your problem.
Next thing to do is remove both fuel injectors, but keep them attached to the fuel rail and electronic harness. Try and start the engine. Do you get a nice strong symmetric spray pattern? Or is it dribbling or weak or lopsided? This can either be clogged injectors or more likely, a bad fuel pump.
Finally... actually not finally. Do this one first. Check your air filter and make sure some rodent hasn't made it into a nice little nesting or nut storage area.
If none of that gives you a definitive answer, then check the compression on each cylinder, preferably on a hot engine. They should be within 10% of each other.

Also, don't overlook the simplest thing. The fuel filter. On my CSC RX3 the bike had been sitting outside for a long time before I bought it, and water in the gas settled to the lowest point in the fuel system -- the filter. The glue in a fuel filter is water-based, so that solvents (like gas) won't dissolve it. But water will do a number on it. My filter was disintegrating and pieces of it were intermittently blocking my injector.

In any case, what you need for a motorcycle to run is timed spark, air, fuel, and compression. One of those is missing, intermittent, weak, or otherwise compromised. Figure out which one it is and you'll find your solution.

One other thought. Has the clutch or starter clutch been replaced? I'm guessing not with such a new machine. That's about the only thing that could throw the timing off. Wait... actually, look for wires going into one of the engine covers. Trace those wires and make sure they're not pinched or worn or broken anywhere.

That's all I can think of for now. You could also see if it's throwing any codes, which might help you narrow down your search.

Charles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts