Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES!!!!! it happend after 4 weeks and about 600 km of fun my TRE broke down.:rollin
Out riding with a few friends the tre wouldn't start anymore when after a break. The last miles before the break there was a different noise from the engine that was new for me.
When I start the engine now it looks like the starter engine misses the theeth of the flywheel. It sounds not healthy.
The tre is now somewhere in the country (I miss her already). I found a local hairdresser who wants to store the bike for the weekend in his shop. I hope it will be the 2 screws of the starter engine. Has someone got any experience with this problem???:\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 4 weeks after purchasing.....HELP

The Benelli is home again (10 km walking with a benelli in your arms is not something you will do daily)
I dismanteld the left cowling and removed the starter engine.
the starter engine seems to be OK
(The sound the benelli makes looks like starting a car which is already running)
The toothweel which is driven by the starterengine has some axial movement

IS THAT NORMAL. I can't found something about it in the manual

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
broken gear

Hey, it sounds like the generator/starter motor drive gear on the back of the clutch, Benelli sent us new clutch baskets with thicker gears to replace all the earlier models with the week gears. You should be able to still get a new clutch basket free of charge from the selling dealer. but be warned, replace the gear that mesh's with it as although it will look okay, we have found that it will lose a couple of teeth down the track and it'll all happen again for you.

This is an easy repair, you'll need a rattle gun to undo the clutch nut but the whole job should take about 2 hours.

Regards, John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: broken gear

Hai Johnny O,

Thank you for your reaction. You make my day.
There is one problem: I bought the Tre second hand and the Tre is sold by a dealer in the UK and I live in the Netherlands.
So that could be a problem (I hope the dealer in the netherlands will change the basket for free)
An other problem could be that my bike is older than 2 yours so there is no warrenty.

I hope it will be the basket you mentioned so that not to much of work.
Tommorow I will ask the dealer to pick up my bike and do a 6000 km maintenance and check the basket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: broken gear

Johnny,

The dealer has investigated the problem. The outcom is:
a few toothwheels are broken (also the one you mentioned which is located at the clutch basket). There is also a lot of metal parts in the oil>:
The dealer hasn't heard of a clutch modification(??????)
but is doing a warranty request. I hope Benelli accept this request. The alternative is to bring this case to court because as a consumer you may expect from a expensive product like a motorcycle that toothwheels last longer than 25 months/5000km.
Is there any documentation or factory-instruction about the clutch modification????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch problems

Hey Saloe,

With reference to my topic "Clutch/flywheel..." we do have the same problem............I have cleaned out all metal parts in my clutch oil - there is actually a good filter from the clutch oil bath to the engine, so hopefully no metal in the engine.

I had a meeting with KJM in Wigan Tuesday and they have promised me to come back to me this week with more information - I have given them the info from John regarding call back.......but they don't seem to know much...........I will keep you posted on progress........... we are two if it comes to claim (I certainly didn't expect this kind of service from "the Lamborghini of MC")

/Tomas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Clutch problems

Hi Tomas,

Went to my dealer today to see my bike. There is a lot of metal in the oil and the toothwheel is completely gone.
The dealer is doing his best but I think the outcome is a repair/new engine on my cost.
That worst case scenario is indeed something you don't expect from a brand that will be the top of motorcycles.

Hopefully our problem will be solved by Benelli..... and if it is
I will be a Benelli customer for life

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question for Tomas

Tomas,

In your reply you mentioned a pretty good filter between the clutch oil bath and the engine. I my opinion there is no filter.
The only filter is the oil drip filter in the oil sump.
Do you have also metal parts in the oil? and has your oil pump free movement? I checked the movement of my oil-pump and it's not going very smooth.
Awaiting the outcome of the warranty request we have to check the inside of the oil filter.
Did you check your filter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey Ed,
Yes I did have metal parts in oil and filter.....but where the oil runs from the clutch bath up to the engine the filter have prevented all metal parts from going to engine. I have just received the new revised part for my bike.....12 month garanti on the part - so hopefully this will not happen again (the new part is a lot stronger).....approx. £350.
KJM are trying to get benelli to pay but doesn't seem likely.........at least it seems like my bike will be running soon........I might even keep it even though I am very disappointet with Benelli's service/customer care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: reply

Hai Tomas,

that's good news!! Did you check your oil pump? because mine is NOT going very smooth.
Please keep me posted about the reparation of your bike.

cheerio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: reply

hello Tomas,

That is good news. I hope it will work out. Please keep me posted. By the way did you check your Oil pump?
(mine is NOT going very smooth)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oil pump

Hey Ed,
My oil pump was not very smooth either....I have had it out and cleaned it - better now.

Good luck with your bike - and remember to get the "revised" part so that we don't get the same problem next year.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: oil pump

Hai Tomas,

Is your Tre already riding? I desperate want to now if it worked out for your Tre.
Is it possible for you to send me some picture of the damage?

my email is [email protected]

regards Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clutch problem

Hey Saloo,
Unfortunately it wasn't just my clutch..............my engine or gearbox or maybe even both are gone as well..........I will Email you some photos in the near future............I am just trying to find out why mine wasn't called back - as that would have prevented all this mess..........price estimate for engine rebuild £3000 - so it is just placed in my garage now because I can't afford the repair - never ever benelli again :evil (aprillia seems the only Italian bike to trust>: )
/Tomas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Clutch problem

Hi Tomas,

Sorry to hear that it didn't worked out for you. My dealer is still waiting for an answer from the importer. How old is your bike because in holland we have got consumerprotection. That means that a buyer is protected by the law for products that aren't constructed very wel. I keep you informed about my progress and I'am looking forward to see your pictures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Clutch problem

Hi Tomas,

what is your E-mail adres? I've made some pictures of the damage of my clutch which I can sent to you when your interested of course

1 - 19 of 19 Posts