Benelli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently bought a 500 quattro in parts.
Its not matching numbers with frame and missing a lot original parts so i decided to try to build myself a GP-replica.

Has anybody tried to find a 4-valve DOHC cyl.head that could fit the engine such as from the Honda cbx 550 for instance?

Any ideas or tips is most welcome

Thanks
Karl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This looks fantastic, I was not aware of such present. However since it is a prototype it surely is impossible to get once hands on...

I think I might get close to as much horsepower from a head with 8 valves but it should be a DOHC. I know that suzuki had one and maybe someone else.

The ideal would be a replica engine from 1973 J.Sarinnen bike but I have never seen any for sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Double OHC Benelli

I know that several of the French and German club members have built "Benelli" fours with either a Suzuki or Kawasaki 550 engine which are DOHC but tuning parts are easier to get than Benelli.
But in my book if it hasn't got a Benelli engine then it isn't a Benelli is it?
Regards

Ian

·
Registered
58 Posts
Benesaki

As a matter of interest here is a picture of the Benelli rolling chassis with the 550 Kawasaki engine fitted and finished as a Saarinen replica by one of the Benelli Club de France members,

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
500 DOHC engine

I know that several of the French and German club members have built "Benelli" fours with either a Suzuki or Kawasaki 550 engine which are DOHC but tuning parts are easier to get than Benelli.
But in my book if it hasn't got a Benelli engine then it isn't a Benelli is it?
Regards

Ian
I agree,, a Benelli should be keep as much Benelli as possible.
I did find a picture of an engine that look like Benelli made and wonder if anybody know if this is something possible to buy/build?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Benelli Racer Engine

Hi Karl
This engine was built by a German member of the Benelli club and is a highly modified Kawasaki Zephyr Zr 550 from about 1991. And I mean HIGHLY modified to look as close as possible to the original Benelli racing four, even down to fitting a Mercury outboard motor Magneto on the front of the crankcase as per the works bikes. A good attempt and probably looks more like a works 500 Benelli engine than a quattro four engine.
Regards

ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Karl
This engine was built by a German member of the Benelli club and is a highly modified Kawasaki Zephyr Zr 550 from about 1991. And I mean HIGHLY modified to look as close as possible to the original Benelli racing four, even down to fitting a Mercury outboard motor Magneto on the front of the crankcase as per the works bikes. A good attempt and probably looks more like a works 500 Benelli engine than a quattro four engine.
Regards

ian

Hi Ian,,

Some engineering skills...it looks like a real Benelli engine but I am no expert of course.I suppose you are not allowed to race classic racing with this engine,or?
The production Benelli `Pasolini`engine as far as I can understand gave close to 90 bhk in its prime and I don`t know if that kind of power is possible to achieve in an OHC engine without turbo or compressor...and then we are out of classic racing rules.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts