Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have read in the MCN that the government is planning to reduce the national speed limit to 50 miles per hour on all roads except motorways !!!!!!!!

Research proves that this speed reduction will make no difference to road deaths and the cut in carbon emissions is so insignificantly small it's laughable.

If you dont want 50mph limits everywhere - sign the petition at Say NO to 50 mph limit on Uk roads

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
done it kurt

it a load of crap isn't it!!!!!!!!! its only because it'll be easier to catch people speeding & get more money out of us :mad: i think derbyshire council's already decided to do this cos all the good roads are now 50mph utter shite!!!!!!!!!!:bawl: :bawl:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
By all means sign the petition, but beware that the government pay no attention to them whatsoever... there are 1000s of them for everything. We all need to write to our MPs if we want to get our voices heard.

Signed anyway by the way :D

·
5,933 Posts
Write letters fellas. emails are 2nd best. Petitions ...... better than nothing.
You need to find some evidence that shows that lowering the speed limit will increase the death toll.

The issue is differing speeds. Most drivers (me included) will travel at the speed they feel comfortable with, others will stick religiously to the speed limit. When the 2 are markedly different, the accident rate rises. This was proven in Florida a while back, when the speed limit was raised from 55, on a highway with a reputation for crashes. Counter to the generally accepted norm, the accident rate decreased.

Another school of thought, is that people concentrate more, when they drive faster.

·
Registered
319 Posts
50 mph?

Oh boy... be careful that I don´t take you over with my bicycle!

Says the one who don´t have a speed limit on german Autobahn :D

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
The problem over here in the UK is we have Politians and Counsellors without any "BALLS" ! And haven't a clue on things like these, regardless of speed limits you are allways gonna have accidents, I quite agree that if our motorway speed limit was raised to say 80mph (Or higher :eek: ) instead of 70mph, we'd get a better flow of traffic, needless to say people will disagree with me but I think other countries have proven this, I would guess there's probably less accidents on the Autobahn in Germany than on our Motorways !

maybe some clever arse will prove me wrong, but I would like to think not ! :D

:rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
512 Posts
we live in a democracy and yet we've got feck all chance of having an 80mph speed limit...in spite of what I would guess would be a huge majority of the population voting in favour if it...just doesn't figure.

I get don't get me started on local MPs and feckin councillors.

Last year there was a fatal accident when a local kid ran out in front of the school bus which was stationary and was killed by an overtaking car. Terrible thing to happen and can't imagine what the parents went through.

So next thing we know is some bright spark councillor decides we should ban all traffic from overtaking stationary school buses.

This would mean that all traffic along any road would only be able to progress at the speed of the school buses on that road...what a feckin stupid idea that is when we're trying to speed traffic flow up!

I went to a school with 1200 pupils...there were approx 20 double decker buses takin pupils to and from school every morning and in my 6 years there was never an accident with pupils trying to cross in front of a parked bus...the moral of the story...teach the kids the basics of road safety....councillors stop wasting our time and money trying to change the law and focus on servicng the people who pay your wages.

Onyhoo rant over - back to the 50mph issue. I don't think a blanket law change is appropriate. I can think of 60mph roads where it WOULD be appropriate to restrict the speed to 50mph in places however there are also examples where 60 and more is safe. Similary motorway and dual carriageway safe speeds can also vary greatly depending on the road itself such as junctions/bends etc (that's before you even get on to road conditions) I think the limits should be specific to the road as long as its clearly marked if its different to the "norm"

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Signed, if it will do any good:confused:
signed. tho I do share Benny's sentiments it has more to do with revenue.

Has anyone tried the stretch of A5 running East from the M6 wide road reduced to 50 full of Gatsos :(

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Statistics, polls, petitions and all that malarky dont seem to make a difference, it would appear that they do what want anyway !!
Hopefully someone in the ivory towers of power will come to their senses and this will be another, seatbelt on bikes, registration/tax of off road vehicles jobs (remember those awful proposals), where it gets binned by common sense, I cross my fingers and hope so anyaway. Some of the best roads in the west country have been ruined by 50MPH limits.
My thought would be that if only a majority of road users werent totally inept at driving/walking/riding, not to mention horses, and travelling around in a blind bubble, we wouldnt need the limits anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts