Benelli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi rebuilding a 750 and fitting a new wiring loom but unsure of a few bits, like the routing from headstock to the rear so if anyone has any photos with the tank off I would be very grateful, also what is that relay looking box next to the starter relay and what are the connections for it?
Thaqnks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi rebuilding a 750 and fitting a new wiring loom but unsure of a few bits, like the routing from headstock to the rear so if anyone has any photos with the tank off I would be very grateful, also what is that relay looking box next to the starter relay and what are the connections for it?
Thaqnks
Hi
if I understand you right, the relay immediately next (inboard) to the starter solenoid, is for the headlamp flash. It's component 34 on the wiring diagram.
It should have three or four spade terminals. A brown (M) +ve wire which feeds both the low-tension and high-tension circuits from the fused side of the fuse box (ignition live). Second fuse down, there are also brown wires from the same fuse to the indicator and starter relays. Without taking my flash relay out (awkward!), I can't remember if the brown wire splits in to two at the relay and then on to two (of four) of the terminals, or if it's just one wire on to one terminal (of three) with an internal bridge between the low and high circuits.
A green (V) +ve wire to the high-beam terminal on the headlamp bulb, through pin 8 of the 15-pin multiconnector block at the headlamp.
A grey (GR) earth wire to the operating button on the bars, through pin 12.
Hope that helps. I've tried uploading a photo from a new phone, but it's not connecting and I haven't been able to work it out yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
if I understand you right, the relay immediately next (inboard) to the starter solenoid, is for the headlamp flash. It's component 34 on the wiring diagram.
It should have three or four spade terminals. A brown (M) +ve wire which feeds both the low-tension and high-tension circuits from the fused side of the fuse box (ignition live). Second fuse down, there are also brown wires from the same fuse to the indicator and starter relays. Without taking my flash relay out (awkward!), I can't remember if the brown wire splits in to two at the relay and then on to two (of four) of the terminals, or if it's just one wire on to one terminal (of three) with an internal bridge between the low and high circuits.
A green (V) +ve wire to the high-beam terminal on the headlamp bulb, through pin 8 of the 15-pin multiconnector block at the headlamp.
Hope that helps. I've tried uploading a photo from a new phone, but it's not connecting and I haven't been able to work it out yet.
Er name's Alan, if it doesn't appear automatically?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Hi Alan, a big help thank you, yes of course, it’s for the headlight flash and nothing to do with the “flashers”, makes sense now!
Graham

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your help, I have another question if you don’t mind, there appears to be a blue wire with spade connector that goes into the headlight on its own not as part of any multiplug, I can’t find it on the wiring diagram and have no idea where it goes, also there are two black earth connectors in the headlight what do they fix to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for your help, I have another question if you don’t mind, there appears to be a blue wire with spade connector that goes into the headlight on its own not as part of any multiplug, I can’t find it on the wiring diagram and have no idea where it goes, also there are two black earth connectors in the headlight what do they fix to?
Not sure on this one Graham. The only wire I have separate from the multiplug that it might be, is actually blue but with a white tracer. I vaguely recall it was just unused when I had the bike, but I'm now using it as an earth lead to a pair of male spade terminals rivetted inside the headlamp shell. Whether it was originally earthed to the frame at its other end or I've adapted it, I can't remember. I know I wanted an additional earth rather than just relying on a path through the shell, headlamp ears, forks etc. I can't find the other end of this blue/white wire to confirm anyway, I've fitted a lot of new sheathing as the old was disintegrating, including some adhesive-lined stuff which is sealed up tight now. But a continuity tester confirms it's definitely earthing. If your wire is definitely solid blue and/or doesn't earth, then I don't know. As you say, there's no sign of such a wire appearing in the wiring diagram!
The other earth leads I have up front - headlamp, instrument and warning lights - also connect to the spade terminals in the shell, which is Aprilia type 19889.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure on this one Graham. The only wire I have separate from the multiplug that it might be, is actually blue but with a white tracer. I vaguely recall it was just unused when I had the bike, but I'm now using it as an earth lead to a pair of male spade terminals rivetted inside the headlamp shell. Whether it was originally earthed to the frame at its other end or I've adapted it, I can't remember. I know I wanted an additional earth rather than just relying on a path through the shell, headlamp ears, forks etc. I can't find the other end of this blue/white wire to confirm anyway, I've fitted a lot of new sheathing as the old was disintegrating, including some adhesive-lined stuff which is sealed up tight now. But a continuity tester confirms it's definitely earthing. If your wire is definitely solid blue and/or doesn't earth, then I don't know. As you say, there's no sign of such a wire appearing in the wiring diagram!
The other earth leads I have up front - headlamp, instrument and warning lights - also connect to the spade terminals in the shell, which is Aprilia type 19889.
Mmmm best forget the above for now:whistle: simplest answer, I don't know and I need to double check my own wiring sometime. I thought it looked fairly obvious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Graham I'll try again. Does your headlamp shell have the three multiplug connectors (snap-in 3,12 and 15-way)? Might be stamped "Aprilia 19889". If so, it should have two male spade terminals rivetted to the inside of the shell. These will be for those two black wires you mentioned, earthing through the shell, forks etc. to the frame. The blue wire will probably have to be checked for continuity by elimination at various other terminals throughout the wiring loom, but someone else like Selwyn might already know what it's for. That blue/white wire I'd thought of was my own addition to improve earthing direct to the frame.
PS/ you'll probably find big voltage drops through the wiring, especially at the light switch and the multiplugs. Initially my 14v from the alternator was only 11 by the time it got to the headlamp terminals! The usual checking and cleaning of contacts helped, but also extra earthing at the headlamp shell straight to the frame and recently, a LED headlight bulb (works at 100% all the way down to 9v and only draws 25W). Also the original fuse box is a real problem, most swap it out. It has rivetted connections, these loosen slightly over time and oxidisation creeps in.

Cheers
Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Graham I'll try again. Does your headlamp shell have the three multiplug connectors (snap-in 3,12 and 15-way)? Might be stamped "Aprilia 19889". If so, it should have two male spade terminals rivetted to the inside of the shell. These will be for those two black wires you mentioned, earthing through the shell, forks etc. to the frame. The blue wire will probably have to be checked for continuity by elimination at various other terminals throughout the wiring loom, but someone else like Selwyn might already know what it's for. That blue/white wire I'd thought of was my own addition to improve earthing direct to the frame.
PS/ you'll probably find big voltage drops through the wiring, especially at the light switch and the multiplugs. Initially my 14v from the alternator was only 11 by the time it got to the headlamp terminals! The usual checking and cleaning of contacts helped, but also extra earthing at the headlamp shell straight to the frame and recently, a LED headlight bulb (works at 100% all the way down to 9v and only draws 25W). Also the original fuse box is a real problem, most swap it out. It has rivetted connections, these loosen slightly over time and oxidisation creeps in.

Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan, thank you, yes I have the multiplug type headlight, I’m wiring from scratch on a bare frame with a new wiring loom and only have the wiring diagram and a pile of spaghetti taken off the gram 39 years ago to go on.
I have the two black earth connectors in the headlight, wondered where they connected, don’t have any sign of rivets but will do the same as you and earth them via a new wire, the mystery blue one looks like a likely candidate, it terminates around the coil area and has a ring fitted so looks like it should be earthed.
everything except the indicators and horn seem to work now, the indicator relay clicks when selected but that’s it, the horn is probably something very simple but I can’t spend any time on it at the moment.
I have replaced the fuse box, mine did exactly what you described and left me stranded in Kent some 41 years ago!
Even with the new wiring loom I still get a voltage drop.
Graham

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Alan, thank you, yes I have the multiplug type headlight, I’m wiring from scratch on a bare frame with a new wiring loom and only have the wiring diagram and a pile of spaghetti taken off the gram 39 years ago to go on.
I have the two black earth connectors in the headlight, wondered where they connected, don’t have any sign of rivets but will do the same as you and earth them via a new wire, the mystery blue one looks like a likely candidate, it terminates around the coil area and has a ring fitted so looks like it should be earthed.
everything except the indicators and horn seem to work now, the indicator relay clicks when selected but that’s it, the horn is probably something very simple but I can’t spend any time on it at the moment.
I have replaced the fuse box, mine did exactly what you described and left me stranded in Kent some 41 years ago!
Even with the new wiring loom I still get a voltage drop.
Graham
Ah ha at last the penny's dropped! Yes that blue wire is an earth and it can be secured to the frame under the bolt of the r/h front mounting rubber cup for the tank, mine is. What I've done at some time in the past is to re-route the wire from one of the earth terminals on the shell through a spare pin in the 15-way multiplug, as it seemed neater, but sort of forgotten about it. My bike is an USA version, with no pilot light, hence the spare way in the block and a vague memory of the blue wire as you had first mentioned. Sorry for any confusion, but I've made so many repairs and mods to the Sei's wiring to overcome problems.
Those male spade terminals came fitted with the headlamp shell, riveted through one of the holes at the bottom next to where the screw goes through that secures the rim on to the shell.
With the voltage drop, my first gambit was to wire the headlamp direct from the battery using mini relays mounted on the plastic cover to the back of the headlamp shell, but this meant too much wiring squeezed between tank and frame. A LED bulb meant I could ditch all that, at last they are made with an acceptable dip pattern these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts