Benelli Forum banner

750 sei with honda 550 pistons compression ratio?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Andy750 
#1 ·
I am thinking of installing Honda pistons in a 750 Sei. The Honda piston is flat top. Can someone tell me if the compression ratio will decrease or increase with this installation?
Thanks

#2 ·
I am no expert, but. If you have more space at top dead centre. Then I would say less compression, less space more compression and no space = bent valves.

#3 ·
" if the compression ratio will decrease or increase with this installation?"
Thanks
Hi,
Welcome to the Benelli Forum.
I have already done what you thinking about to do ,and I must tell that I feel good about it. I am restoring my Benelli 750 sei ,76 model and it is major restoration project.
But I go with the technical info now:
Honda 550 four bore is 58.5 X 50.6 and compression ratio is 9.0 : 1
Benelli 750 sei bore is 56 X 50.6 and compression ratio is 9.8 : 1
So to my understanding and therefore the answer to your question is : it will decrease.
Wood Automotive engine gasket Rim Audio equipment Automotive exterior

Cheers
Jerzy

#4 ·
550 honda pistons

Thanks for the replys and the welcome guys
Jerzy that looks great.
What are you using for a head gasket? Could you post a picture of a stock 750 sei piston if you have one. I don't have the engine apart yet. I assume the piston must have a dome. Do you happen to know the cc of the heads combustion chamber?
Thanks
Andy

Hi,
Welcome to the Benelli Forum.
I have already done what you thinking about to do ,and I must tell that I feel good about it. I am restoring my Benelli 750 sei ,76 model and it is major restoration project.
But I go with the technical info now:
Honda 550 four bore is 58.5 X 50.6 and compression ratio is 9.0 : 1
Benelli 750 sei bore is 56 X 50.6 and compression ratio is 9.8 : 1
So to my understanding and therefore the answer to your question is : it will decrease.
View attachment 6972
Cheers
Jerzy

#5 · (Edited)
Hi again,
Benelli 750 sei being a Honda 500 cc Four carbon copy engine to some extend with addition of two cylinders gives clue and one may guessed right that some parts will be compatible for both engines.Pistons are the parts that look the same and the other part is oil sump of Honda650 which holds half a liter of oil more.The good reason for using deeper oil sump part is to eliminates the overheating problem that can damage badly Benelli 750 sei engine.On the subject of gasket my mechanic recons that the original Benelli 750 head engine gasket will do the job and as for other question I have no answer at this stage.
Wood Gas Auto part Metal Audio equipment

#6 ·
Benelli 750 sei being a Honda 500 cc Four carbon copy

Thanks for the info Jerzy
You have been very helpful
Hi again,
Benelli 750 sei being a Honda 500 cc Four carbon copy engine to some extend with addition of two cylinders gives clue and one may guessed right that some parts will be compatible for both engines.Pistons are the parts that look the same and the other part is oil sump of Honda650 which holds half a liter of oil more.The good reason for using deeper oil sump part is to eliminates the overheating problem that can damage badly Benelli 750 sei engine.On the subject of gasket my mechanic recons that the original Benelli 750 head engine gasket will do the job and as for other question I have no answer at this stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.