Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gotten a 2007 1130 Tre-K.

There is a plethora of info in these forums concerning many of the things I need to know to be able to have the Benellisto life.

Can someone advise how best I check all the suspect components, namely stepper motor… Z25 gear… clutch basket to name the obvious.

I am based in north Oxfordshire and do not currently know what, if any, useful services there are anywhere near me.

The only identified problems so far are a rough tickover once warm, including sooty plugs and the dash only works as a dash for that ride, once turned of it seems to dump the trip info and I am back to having a zero miles machine!

I look forward to any and all suggestions to help me on my way.

And finally(for now!), is it genuinely a good idea to pay for an OBD reader tool? At no less than £500!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen von Andreas 🍻🇨🇮🤘🏻

p.s. It failed the MOT(TÜV) on excessively noisy exhaust and detection of brake energy fluctuations(Front only)!

· Registered
1,113 Posts
You can get a diagnostic cable for about £40 and software for android it’s called Tuneecu (there is a free windows version if you can find one) about £15 depending what computer you have. If you are handy with spanners a lot of the items can be checked at home. there is a lot of info on here about the various issues and remedies. The dash is probably the hardest to fix without replacement, does it happen when starting and is starting easy or slow? It’s probably better to focus on one issue at a time to give us the best chance to help you. Have a look at Errol’s benelli page Engenia.com

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks for the reply… 🤘🏻

She starts like: zig zig zig vrum rob rob rob rob and a fairly quick starter speed! 😜

The dash will light up instantly the key is turned, it does the clock and screen check and then is a stable and active display, but with zero distance recorded. 🤔

I only have Apple and Windows PC, so this question will remain open for me for the time being.

I had thought about a possible combination of total loss of exhaust pressure pulse and only using premium fuel and/or bad ignition at the plugs.

Are motorcycles in the UK checked for emissions? If yes, then surely a realy bad setup or fuel/ignition problem would be apparent!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen von Andreas

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Generally they are not emissions checked well at least mine isn’t luckily! They can run really rich and this is quite hard for the diyer to fix. Get Tuneecu and ask a local garage to put it on their emissions tester, with tuneecu you can modify the idle and global CO settings and map, but it could just be a sticky stepper motor.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! There is a local, general motorcycle workshop in the area…

I may well call them up and see about the possibility of doing such a thing.

Thanks for that suggested way forward.

I must look again, but I do believe there was a thread recently of a Benellisto who showed some pictures/explanation for recovering a badly dirty stepper motor system.

MfG Andrea 🍻🇨🇮🤘🏻

· Registered
201 Posts
Have not had the trip meter issue (sounds like a wiring or button gremlin) but may be able to help with a rich bottom end problem. This can be caused by 1) Loss of TPS calibration or 2) O2 Sensor failure.
1) With the Walbro ECU the TPS calibration can be wiped if a start attempt is made with a flat battery. Then the ECU can show a TPS value of about 20% when the throttle is closed. That means perhaps three times the correct amount of fuel is injected at idle. You need a diagnostic cable. Lonelec offer a cable and adapter to suit the Walbro ECU. You can use either the Windows or Android version of TuneECU to check and reset the TPS. Check TuneECU shows TPS values of 0% with throttle closed and 100% at full throttle. If it is not right, leave the idle speed screw where it is (as hopefully it is set to ~1300rpm hot idle) select "Reset TPS" and follow the simple on-screen instruction. My understanding is that a correctly set TPS will send the ECU to idle mode when it sees the TPS output voltage corresponding with 0%. Then the ECU should actively manage the idle air to control the speed. (This is a recent revelation for me. I was previously setting the TPS wrong, which caused an erratic idle and stalling.)
2) An O2 sensor failure is indicated if the engine is obviously running rich but the ECU continues to show an O2V reading of 1.15 (after the engine has run long enough to heat the sensor). In this case the ECU will attempt to reduce the O2V reading to 1.00 once the coolant exceeds 80C. If the O2V value doesn't drop, the ECU adaption will go to full rich. The solution is to replace the O2 sensor. (I use a Bosch Universal 4 Wire sensor with 1.5mm thread pitch.) Then the adaption must be reset using the "12 minute tune" described on the TuneECU website. In short a) remove the belly pan so it doesn't melt from exhaust heat. b) Start the engine from cold without touching the throttle & let it idle until the coolant reaches 80C, then another 12 minutes. (The coolant temperature should cycle as the fans cut in and out.) The O2V reading should settle close to 1.00. c) Switch off, replace the belly pan and take a ride to see how it goes.

· Registered
232 Posts
Check TuneECU shows TPS values of 0% with throttle closed and 100% at full throttle. If it is not right, leave the idle speed screw where it is (as hopefully it is set to ~1300rpm hot idle) select "Reset TPS" and follow the simple on-screen instruction. My understanding is that a correctly set TPS will send the ECU to idle mode when it sees the TPS output voltage corresponding with 0%. Then the ECU should actively manage the idle air to control the speed. (This is a recent revelation for me. I was previously setting the TPS wrong, which caused an erratic idle and stalling.)
You want to set the tps to 0 when the butterflies are open ? i thought we had established that this was not the way to set the idle on the walbro.I've renewed my stepper and i will be syncing throttle bodies next to try and get a decent idle speed . I'm sure i was told using the idle speed screw was a definite no no ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts