Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, its been 2 weeks and 3 days since I picked up the nellie and I have a couple of observations to share with you.
i. heavy heavy clutch
ii. shhh, don't tell anyone but neutral is getting easier to find :clap:
iii. Yup, clocks have reset 4 times now :mad:
iv. Nearly didn't start at all yesterday, don't know why, twas like not enough juice in battery
v. after above engine start it spluttered for a good 20 seconds then died. started again and everything was fine :confused:
vi. (same journey as above) went to select 2nd, 2nd didn't engage, stayed in 1st resulting in locking the back wheel with nice waggy tail slide. (must have looked cool to the kids outside the shop but scared the shit outa me :eek:

Is this a run in thing? obviously will mention these "incidents" at 1st service but the main thing is the gear selection issue, could have been dangerous this one, and no its not me, I did about 100 miles yesterday and gear selection issue happened a few times, 2nd, 5th and sixth.

Not complaining though, love the bike :ele: Can't wait to have her run in properly :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly and the chain too, don't forget they tend to stretch a little on all bikes during initial run in .

Had similar problem with my gixxer, adjusted the cable and chain, all sorted.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Must admit I've had no running in problems like that! Done 1250 miles now. No problems at all.:) Runs just like a Jap bike:)
The clutch is heavy tho.;)
No gear box problems, and I have not touched my chain since the 500 mile service.:eek:
That sounded scarey chap:eek:
Take it back to the dealers.;)

Klinker:D

·
Registered
690 Posts
vi. (same journey as above) went to select 2nd, 2nd didn't engage, stayed in 1st resulting in locking the back wheel with nice waggy tail slide. (must have looked cool to the kids outside the shop but scared the shit outa me :eek:

You sure???

Slipper clutch stops this?

My clocks always reset, it doesn't worry me too much when I start riding.

·
Fyule
697 Posts
I had that once on my RS, thing locked the back wheel on me coming into first, would've looked cool if anyone had been there to see it, well other than the brown streaks over my leathers and the seat:rolling: interesting I don't get the 'pulsing' feel (steady there) through the clutch level from the slipper, I didn't get it on the old engine /gearbox either, is there something different between the slipper on the TRE and RS?

Please tell me there is no odd rattling from the clutch!! It was very soon after this lock up happened to me that I was told that my cluctch was completely wrecked and that I required the new basket with the uprated springs, but that is a completely different story that I will never get to the bottom of. Just for peace of mind check the clutch out. I am not scare mongering - this is just something we Benelli owners all have to do.

Glad you're enjoying the bike though, they are quite simply superb. Will you be coming up to the Scottish tour next year? go on you know you want to.

cheers, Fraser

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure???

Slipper clutch stops this?

My clocks always reset, it doesn't worry me too much when I start riding.
Silly me, must have imagined it :doh:
of course i'm sure, Low revs and around 10-15mph, oddly i didn't feel the engine stall

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that once on my RS, thing locked the back wheel on me coming into first, would've looked cool if anyone had been there to see it, well other than the brown streaks over my leathers and the seat:rolling: interesting I don't get the 'pulsing' feel (steady there) through the clutch level from the slipper, I didn't get it on the old engine /gearbox either, is there something different between the slipper on the TRE and RS?

Please tell me there is no odd rattling from the clutch!! It was very soon after this lock up happened to me that I was told that my cluctch was completely wrecked and that I required the new basket with the uprated springs, but that is a completely different story that I will never get to the bottom of. Just for peace of mind check the clutch out. I am not scare mongering - this is just something we Benelli owners all have to do.

Glad you're enjoying the bike though, they are quite simply superb. Will you be coming up to the Scottish tour next year? go on you know you want to.

cheers, Fraser
clutch feels fine, no pulsing malarky though and as i said earlier, it's eaiser to find neutral now. No odd rattling either. most strange :confused: :confused:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
I Guess I would look at the chain, they do stretch a bit when new, could be this. I had mine set too tight and nuetral was a bugger to find, bike was serviced in scotland and the chap (tosh) that did the service, readjusted the chain and nuetral was there, so does sound like the chain has loosened. On that note Tosh did say that due to the long swingarm, the chain ought to be quite loose, as it takes up a lot of slack when it's loaded.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Silly me, must have imagined it :doh:
of course i'm sure, Low revs and around 10-15mph, oddly i didn't feel the engine stall
Maybe you did? Maybe the rear end waving was not locking up, but the slipper engaging.

My abs on my other bike feels like its locking up, but being abs, its not......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you did? Maybe the rear end waving was not locking up, but the slipper engaging.

My abs on my other bike feels like its locking up, but being abs, its not......
Maybe, but road was damp and as it was low speed + cold engine along with possible rider error as well i suppose. The fact remains that it occasionally takes 2 attempts to get it into next gear up. I haven't had a problem with the down shift ........yet :D

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Nearly didn't start at all yesterday, don't know why, twas like not enough juice in battery
Keepping the bike on a battery conditioner when not in use might help this and it may help the clock resets as well.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Agree with Laurence, keep it on the charger, think about getting the cable modded as per Errols web site.
Sounds like you are on the journey of Benelli ownership, its more of a hobby than owning some bikes.
I hope your gearbox settles down, mines on 7000 miles now and the box is sweet as a nut, it may take a little time to bed in, it is a race bike that is pretty much hand made after all.
I know that the back wheel shouldnt lock up with a slipper clutch, try to bump start it to check its working OK, if so it wont turn the engine over, good luck and enjoy the addiction, Steve.

·
5,934 Posts
iii. Yup, clocks have reset 4 times now :mad:
I can fix that for you.
Mine used to reset at least once a month with the Rev D clocks, & at every startup with the Rev A. Since installing the little box, it hasn't happened even once.

There's 3 Tornados in Oz, & 1 in the US, that have it on. All are reset free, as far as I know.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can fix that for you.
Mine used to reset at least once a month with the Rev D clocks, & at every startup with the Rev A. Since installing the little box, it hasn't happened even once.

There's 3 Tornados in Oz, & 1 in the US, that have it on. All are reset free, as far as I know.
how much engenia? or is it a diy (make the ups yourself) job? not to clever with the old electrics :D

·
5,934 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
alrite scaley,
my tre has 1800 miles on her , and 3 months old ,gearbox pretty sweet but occasionally coming out of a junction in 1st it doesnt want to change to 2nd the lever is solid and wont move up but i have found a wee blip of the throttle with the clutch in (try this it may help) and it slips in easily:eek: ( into 2nd gear i mean ):rolling:

·
5,934 Posts
Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging enough.
Perhaps try adjusting it, to get a little more movement.
Start at the lever - you need only the barest of slack. I found my locknut loose once, and the cable hopelessly out of adjustment as a result. Had the same symptoms as you describe.
If that doesn't sort it, the clutch cover needs to come off. Refer to section 3.4.1 in the manual.

Alternatively, oil level ok?
Some have found certain makes of oil are better for the gearbox/clutch, than others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts