Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
righty oh, nellie told me that she was too hot (temp gauge right off the scale. ignition off, then back on now gauage indicated just in the red) today on the toy run so i pulled over and switched off for a while. Once all bikes had gone past (I was a the front) I fired her up and set off again without any reoccurance of the problem.
because my expansion tank appears to be empty, I've had a look in the manual and it' says to "remove expansion cap (2)" and top up as necessary. I can find the radiator cap no worries but no expansion cap cos there is no "(2)" in the picture. The darn book tells me not to ride while the expansion tank is lower than min level.
Am i just being thick? :doh: is it electrical? clocks will be changed at 1st service so not too worried about it if that's the cause.
Its a new bike ffs. :mad:

·
All the gear, no idea
144 Posts
Hi matey, first of all don't worry!! As I'm sure you're aware the old nellie runs a little warmer than most bikes, and if moving in slow traffic or at a stand still they are prone to wetting their pants and overheating!!

You won't find the expansion tank lid because there aint one! Not on mine, and I'm sure not on a lot of other folks on here too. To top up the expansion tank last time I changed my coolant I put her up on the rear paddock stand, took off the rad cap that you've obviously found under the rear seat hump, and just keep topping her up. An extremely slow process, but if you fill it upto the top of the cap, go back inside the house for five minutes it will gradually work itself down. Then go out and repeat, and repeat, and repeat! Just set yourself a good hour aside to do it!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the rad is full! And how does this expansion tank work? syphon or vacume? also can the temp gauge give a false reading? and the rad cap bit me and skinned my knuckle on my thumb :(
mega confused at the mo, and regretting the purchase maybe just a tiny bit. :bawl:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Scaley, it sounds like the temperature guage syndrome ;) , It caught me out once, travelling through Bridgnorth my guage was past the red so I pulled over thinking I had a problem but the bike was fine, once I startred the bike up the guage dropped a few degrees, so I turned the ignition off and on several times and the temperture guage dropped each time until it went to zero, then I tootled :rolleyes: off on my merry way and the guage went to the correct temperature from then on.

After that I simply ignored the guage on the rare occasion it did it again and just went by instict if I thought the bike was actually having any overheat problems,which it never did have, :D

But as yours is new at least you can have the fault sorted under warranty,

:ele:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Its a Clocks issue !!! most definately and didnt you buy your nelli new so just mention it at First Service for a warranty claim to change over to a revised set (if you look on the back you will see what version they are . expansion tank is a common mistake of being overfilled . Did you get the usual H20 warning and also the red warning light . approach your shop which it was purchased from and they can put in an order for a replacement set . Good Luck .:) ps make sure you have a 28mm rubber washer fitted to the underside of the radiator cap as well .​

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
All the gear, no idea
144 Posts
Don't regret buying one mate, Benelli's are lile the Alfa Romeo's of the bike world. When everything's working as it should they really are one of the most involving rides you'll ever have. There was a similar problem posted not so long ago on here where a guy who was doing a track day overheated in the holding area, and I think his temp gauge was lying a little too!

As for syphon or vacuum not 100% sure, but guessing vacuum. If you start to squeeze the pipe a little that runs off to the expansion tank as you pour some water into the filler it will seep down to the expansion tank. As I,ve said it's not a quick job by any means, but it does work.

Just a quick question, did the fans kick in at all when it was registering hot?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a little annoyed. I'll get over it! :D

don't worry, I still have the passion and love the bike to bits (almost literaly :rolling: )
as for the fans, when switched on and engine on, yes the fans came straight on.

·
All the gear, no idea
144 Posts
Like everyone has said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you tell the dealer at the first service you should be fine. If there really is no water in the expansion tank you will have to top up a little though. Like I said, the Alfa's of the bike world!!

·
1,841 Posts
Scaley, the tank refered to as an "expansion tank" is actually a "catch tank".
If you look at the system you will see that the only path for coolant to follow is.... after passing the seal of the rad cap to run down the pipe into the catch tank.This will only occur if the set pressure of the cap in exceeded,1.4 bar although old ones had 1.2 bar with a poor seal if i remember correctly.
Any coolant in the catch tank will be blown out of the catch tank via the pipe that runs to the front of the engine.
I just check the rad is full when cold and leave the catch tank empty.There is no path for coolant to enter the rad from the catch tank.
If the fans run as soon as ignition on then the ECU is sensing the engine is the normal temp for the fans to run, ie the fans are controlled from the ecu that senses the coolant temp from the temp thermistor.
I would get the dealer to check things out.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Scaley,
the book does state that the coolant tank should be between the indicated marks, I was worried about this at first, but have now done 3000 miles in the last year with it totally empty, with no problems overheating, if anything the coolant expands into it under pressure then vacuums back in as it cools. I keep the rad full under the cap.
Some times the gauge does throw a wobbly and misreads into the red, mines out of warranty now so its unlikely to get fixed but Ive got used to it and have faith the fans control the temp of the motor.
If the engine runs and the fans cut in OK and keep it steady, then the odd occasion is most likely to be the clocks fault, as advised get em done under warranty.
Also a slightly lower setting on their cut in temp helps, the dealer can do this or a tuneboy is the bees knees bit of kit, hope that helps,
Steve.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,417 Posts
Wise words from my dealer,even though the bike is way out of warranty.
'Is there fluid coming out anywhere?'A.no.
'Are the fans cutting in'A.yes.
Dont worry about it then! 5000 miles last year on all sorts of roads in alsorts of traffic with all sorts of temp guage anomallies,not once did she over heat:clap: :rolleyes: ;)

Reactions: scaley

·
Registered
642 Posts
I checked with the boys out here in Cyprus before brining my tornado over, they have had no issues with overheating even in the summer months when its easily 40c air temp.

In fact its always funny coming to a bike with a digital gauge and it already being 30c before you even start it.

They just mentioned they keep outta town/heavy traffic.

Reactions: scaley

·
5,931 Posts
the book does state that the coolant tank should be between the indicated marks,
The book is full of errors - front rear sprocket ratio, rear tyre size, adjustable cam angle, steering ring nut torque .... The list goes on. The coolant tank level is just another one.
.. done 3000 miles in the last year with it totally empty, with no problems overheating,
Exactly! That's how mine's been for nearly 70,000 km.

if anything the coolant expands into it under pressure then vacuums back in as it cools.
Yes, it IS an expansion tank. Have a look at the pic below. Coolant enters at the bottom of the tank, & if it fills, exits at the top (to the right rear of the engine). When the coolant in the radiator cools, it contracts, and sucks coolant back from the tank, through a brass return valve in the radiator cap. (see pic below)

Some times the gauge does throw a wobbly and misreads into the red.
Classic dash Rev.A symptom. Annoyed the hell out of me, so I had it changed.
If the engine truly overheats, the ECU will detect this, and flash the red LED in the tacho, and flash H2O on the LCD.

I've had a look in the manual and it' says to "remove expansion cap (2)" and top up as necessary. I can find the radiator cap no worries but no expansion cap cos there is no "(2)" in the picture. The darn book tells me not to ride while the expansion tank is lower than min level. :
A couple of pages earlier, it states that there's oil in the expansion tank:rolling: The manual leaves us all a little perplexed at times :doh:
Tornados don't like travelling slow. They have barely enough airflow to the radiator below 70 kph. I tend to steer clear of slow processions like Toy Runs & road works.

So scaley, there's nothing mechanically wrong with your Tornado. You just need to update your dash.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys

I love this site, I really do :clap: :clap:
:bow: :bow: to you all, engenia, you are a star. Thank you all for putting my mind at rest. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Scaley, Ive got the "old" clocks on mine and previous oener warned me of temp guage going off the scale and pointing to 5000rpm! as long as the red light isnt showing just ignore it, this is easier said than done as you always wonder "what if" if it bothers you pull over and switch engine off and turn ignition switch off and on a few times this usually resets temp guage back to zero, this doesnt happen too often with me but for piece of mind i reset it, just one of the quirks of ownership:ele: for me it doesnt justify forking out on another set of clocks, the only time it does heat up is around town in slow moving traffic so try to avoid where possible:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts