Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first REAL bike... with suspension adjustments etc.. how do I know how to set it up?

What is a slip clutch? Anything I need to know about it?

Finally, is there any Benelli users in Geelong? I'm looking to find a mechanic down here whom I can partner with long term to look after my bike.

Daniel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Daniel, welcome to the Benelli family :D

Ah, suspension setup could be a bit of work but the result is rewarding. The first thing to do is to set up your sag. Here's a pretty good article on suspension:
www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

A slipper clutch is a beautiful thing... it minimizes the effect of engine braking when you down shift.

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice link there Toby, thanks;) This is also the first time that I've had a bike with a slipper clutch (or a slippery clutch as a certain Mr Rossi calls it:lol ) and I've noticed a big difference. No more back wheel skipping for me:lol

Oh, I nearly forgot .... welcome to the family Daniel:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slipper clutch

Daniel, I slipper clutch works on the theory , say your gunning it into a corner, in 4th , its a tight corner and to really punch out of it you need to be in 1st for max acceleration out of it, on a racing two stroke with bugger all engine braking you can go from 4th to 1st and you release the clutch, and the rear wheel keeps turning. on a four stroke if you released the clutch the rear wheel would dramatically slow, relative to the bitumen under it, and if you had accurately matched the rear wheel speed to the actual crank speed (or countershaft sprocket speed is more accurate) by blipping the throttle precisely you dont get a rear wheel lock up for a second or two or the rear wheel sliding sideways, not good coming hot into a corner, a slipper clutch will slip (only in one direction though) to allow the wheel speed to match the engine speed, sometimes will the clutch slightly pulled in enough so you have just taken up the free play in the clutch lever you will free a "pulsing action", this is the clutch slipping, gun it hard enough and you will most certainly hear it ;) , usually its was once the domain of race bikes only, usually a aftermarket add on. these day a lot of japanese sportbikes have one and several european bikes have variations of it, Aprilia's, Benelli, MV Agusta do a electronic engine version rarther than a mechanical driveline type, etc etc, they can be wet or usually dry in most racing appllications. The most common is/was the italian STM one's

bref description here

STM of Italy here
www.stm.to.it/index.html

A few months back they listed a clutch for the Benelli ,although they dont seem to now I believe several production Benelli's such as the TnT Titanium and the new 1134cc Tornado in the high spec has one fitted, these are dry one, ie, dont sit in the engine oil, most benelli's run wet slippers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks Aussie!!! Great explanation.. btw.. I found a good Mechanic in Geelong.. and they've just become a Benelli dealer for the new bikes.

So its seems Benelli is taking off again.

Daniel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts