Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Happy owner of the new Tornado tre now 1.5 months and 3500 kms.

Yesterday first time training on the track. Fun.

What values you have in front and rear ?
Any suggestions?
Mine is standard factory configuration.

Front:
Preload ?
Rebound ?
Compression ?

Rear:
Spring length ?
Preload ?
Rebound ?
Compression ?

Thanks in advance

Pekka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome aboard

i have the RS so i cant really help with suspension setting, but I'm sure you will get heaps of advice from the others

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Welcome aboard

Changed the suspension settings:

Front:
Preload 9.5 turns
Rebound 2.5 turns
Compression 3/4 turns

Rear:
Spring length 141 mm (same as in user manual)
Preload (how to meassure ?)
Rebound 8 click
Compression 5 click

So, its now stiffer.

w: Pekka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
suspension setting

Here I go again :)

Forks: The forks springs are miles too soft, wind the preload adjusters all the way down too full hard. Screw the compression adjusters (on the bottom of the forks) all the way in, then back them out 1/4 turn. Rebound adjusters set at full soft, all the way out.

Rear: I found exactly as the manual say's was best for both damping adjusters. For spring preload; set it with about 10mm of unladen sag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: suspension setting

Thanks, something like this?

Front:
Preload: all closed eg. 15 turns (from open to close)
Rebound: all open
Compression: 1/4 turn (from closed to open)

Rear:
Spring length: ?????????
Preload: "10 mm of unladen sag" sorry, did not understand
Rebound: 11 click (from closed to open)
Compression: 8 click (from closed to open)

W: Pekka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

greetings...

JohnnyO's (Mr. O'Mara?) setting sounds almost like mine... except I'm probably a bit heavier (180 lb.) and the roads in Los Angeles is not exactly Phillip Island. I do have my preload a bit softer.

Pekka, I would adjust the rear sag first before anything else. Your weight (plus all of your riding gear) and your riding preference means your setup could vary from others'... Here's a pretty good article on setting up sag, although it's used for MX bikes, but the explaination is pretty clear.
www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271134

here's another good reference from Race Tech: www.race tech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

my expereince with the Tre (very humble, very short experience :) ) is that since its front is loaded pretty heavily already, I prefer stiffer front compression damping. I found the steering damper useless for what I do... it looks pretty though. And for the rear: soft... besides, the ride hight is huge, anything to bring down the seat height makes my short legs happy.

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

btw

in contrast to common belief. Winding up the preload on your springs does NOT make them stiffer. It will make the bike sit a bit higher and reduce the negative travel of the suspension, which is a bad thing when riding the bike alone!

Beware of this, a spring does not get stiffer if you "precompress" it more (unless we are talking progressive springs, but i suppose the tornado has linear springs). Check your physics books ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

good point irfuel.

I just got back from riding. I have to agree though JohnnyO's set up is good. I have now my fronts dialed to exactly how he had suggested.

So my Tre's suspension set-up is ok. but at the end of today's ride about 1 mile from my house I smelled coolant at a stop light... I looked down, ah, the prophecy of this froum is true... time to troubleshoot...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Came across this post last night

Had a twiddle.......and hey presto nice handling front end...rear is alittle bit soft though.

Backed off 1 turn on front preload coz Im only 60 Kgs

Ahhhh Bless
:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

in contrast to common belief. Winding up the preload on your springs does NOT make them stiffer. It will make the bike sit a bit higher and reduce the negative travel of the suspension, which is a bad thing when riding the bike alone!
Irfuel I've heard alot about this but it still confuses me even now. What exactly is the preload adjuster for? I know what your saying is very much true but I've always got a little stuck after this.

As for adjustments I found a MCN setting and set it accordingly. I found a track and road setting for my humble 83kg weight (+leathers :b ). The track setting had me loosing my pride down below on the road...too hard on the front and skipping almost on the rear but fantastic I can imagine round the track, I dont know 'cos I havn't tried. The road settings does what Johnny O said - stiffens the front and just winds the back a little harder. I think the settings posted are pretty much spot on to what Im running too.

Ere you'll know if you suspension too soft cos it'll deck out the bottom of the fairing really easily on std settings on track - I learnt the hard way :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I am totally stuffed when it comes to setting up suspension.

I have just got bike back from 1st service so am now able to wind it up a bit more.
I found yesterday when riding a bit harder it was running wide coming out of corners, in some cases felt it was drifting.
Now I am around 115kg. I do not really have a clue the best way to go about getting the best setting.

So if anyone can point me to a decent base setting I can try it would be helpful.

I can make final adjustments, just not a good setting in the first place.

Cheers

Stu

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Erm excuse the bluntness but although Im not too good with kg i know my weight is around 14st(ish) 115kg is a fair bit more than that. The problem u might find is exactly what ur saying. I think these bikes are set of italians of about 2/3 your weight max. You could go down the route of winding up the comp and rebound to near on max but its a little crude going down that route. To be honest for what its worth Id probably invest in getting the suspension re-valved to suit you better. Not only will it make the ride safer but you'll enjoy it to and you'll only improve quicker from a bike that would inspire confidence. Please dont take it that Im saying your fat cos you could be 6ft 4 and as wide as a piano for all I know but none the less even I find the bike can be a little soft after the first initial travel when Im fully leathered and I cant be more than 90 something kg at the most!!

Wish you the best either ways

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
suspension setting

Hi Dean,
No problem about the bluntness, your right though, not far off 6ft 4in and as wide as a piano.
Whilst having a close look today at things I noticed the tyres are worn more on the right side than left, common for most UK bikers I think. Anyway considering they were new as well may have added to the feeling of drifting or running wide. Also I am still getting used to the bike so have not got sorted with her 100% as yet.
Being on Japs all my life, and coming back to sports after having a Bandit for 18 months all adds to it.
I have changed the settings and had a quick go and did notice an improvement so a step in the right direction.
If I still feel its not improved to what I think it should be then i will consider the re-valving option. Any good places to go for it anyone?????

Cheers Dean

Stu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts