Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Advice on Scrapping a TNT

This is an unusual subject for a first post, but unfortuneately I only found this site after the unthinkable happened.

I got my black/silver TNT in Jan 06. An unusual step-up from the 125 scooter which I had been commuting on for three years, but once I saw it in the shop, it was 'love at first sight'. I had a brilliant year with it - riding into work everyday (whatever the weather!) and a tour of the west of Ireland in the summer.

Unfortunately, on the way into work after the Christmas break, an idiot minicab driver decided to test my psychic abilities. He was in the outside lane, stationary, indicating to turn right. As I was about to pass him on the left, he changed his mind and decided to park on the left, completely taking me out:mad: . After 12 weeks I am now starting to walk normally again , and now have so much metal in my left leg we can finally get channel 5 if I stand next to the TV (every cloud etc.).

I won't be able to ride for at least another year (if at all :mad: ), so my friendly west-london benelli dealer put it a repair quote which effectively wrote-off the bike, even though it is only the front (lights/display/radiators/tank) which is damaged - everything behind the tank is unmarked.

The insurance company wrote-off and paid up for the bike, but deducted £1000 for scrap value. So, I'm now looking for the least-hassle way of turning the remains into cash.
I suppose my options are:
ebay (as parts or as a whole);
Exchange-and-mart etc;
or a motorcycle salvage company;

This was my first (and hopefully last) accident, so I am completely 'green' on such issues. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer on how to do this easily.

Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Simonm,
Sorry to hear about your accident.
If you decide to break it I will be up for an offer on the bike.
Was it a standard TNT or a sport?
I`m sure others will be up for bits as well.
I hope you`re recovery is not as long as you predict.
regards

·
903 Posts
Metal work!

:p

:hiya: Simon my sympathys are with you mate, I too was taken out by a car driver that turned right on me. I too have a large amount of metal work in my leg but the right one! If you have the same size legs as I have can I have your good one? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Seriously though, I was well depressed to start with but things are getting better (although I still have to use crutches and have a lot of pain) and I am looking forward to getting on a bike for the first time on Sunday weather permitting. It will be on my cruiser though as the seat is very low and will not put too much pressure on my hip.:eek:

Re your bike, if it is the front end why not try to repair it, I'm sure you could get the parts. If not why not turn it into a streetfighter and use parts from a jap bike?

Get well soon mate!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Simonm,
Thinking about it I will have a set of origional Marzocchi 50mm forks for sale in the near future so if you go down the rebuild route let me know.
I`ve still got pins in me from years ago and only trouble I get from them is alarms going offin airports:doh: :doh: :doh:
Dave

·
903 Posts
Pins

I`ve still got pins in me from years ago and only trouble I get from them is alarms going offin airports:doh: :doh: :doh:
Dave[/QUOTE]

:p Ditto!

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Simon,
Sorry to hear about that! Gosh that is so terrible to hear it. Damn cabs!

With regards to your totalled bike. The best bet is to hang tight and start taking it apart. You'll probably get more for the parts in time as more of these bikes start showing up. As with Aprilias where parts are difficult to obtain at times, the parted out bike will often fetch more than the bike that is whole depending on the condition.

Here in the US, a serial numbered frame and engine is worth good money for rebuilders.

Got hit from the rear on my MilleR once and the damage was minimal, with the exhaust scratching the swingarm and the brake lever scratching the frame but the insurance company totalled the bike since replacing those two items alone almost cost 80% of the value of the bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
RS Motorcycles in Halifax have been advertising a comprehensively slapped TNT on Auto Trader for some time. I think they are a bit optimistic on value but perhaps you could get some bits of that and make one good one!

I think someone would pay good money for a project based on what you have left.

I would also be interested if you decided to sell. So maybe ebay is your best bet afterall.

There would be two of us bidding it up already! Anyway, you should get your money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice and good wishes. My mechanical skills just about run to putting air in the tyres (I'm ashamed to say) so I think I'll go down the ebay route - probably within the next weeek or so. I'll post again when its up on ebay - just in case anyone is interested.

Then I can start planning what to do when my surgeon (a biker himself!) gives me the all clear. It will definitely be another TNT - I'm hoping by then the CR will be available in black/silver. nice....

Lloyd - Hope you managed to get out on your bike at the weekend and enjoyed it. Remember - real men do it on crutches :)
Dave - It's a standard TNT. 04 model (no power button) on a 55 plate with 3K on the clock (or it would if it still had a clock :) )
Ben - Thanks for the info on the TNT at RS. Nasty! I dread to think how you can damage a back wheel like that. I can't see anyone paying anywhere near £2500 for that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts