Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good run today (man it was cold) put the bike away and could smell burning, removed the seat and have found that the exhaust has not only melted through the plastic storage area but also half of my alarm which was in there. I have wedged some hard exhaust bandage between the pipe and the tray for now but has anyone got a better more permanant solution - other than removing the pipe and getting the offending end cut and re shaped -.

PLEASE HELP

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Same thing happened with mine, i,ve had a new battery box on order for 4 mths now (warranty). it looks like the reflective tape doesnt go far enough up the under tray.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gnome check if you have any silver heat proof material under the air box/seat tray they are known for falling off (only held on with adhesive from the factory)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a small piece a bit furthur down the pipe but nothing around the very end of the can (the bit that has burnt through) I have had another look and I think it might be worth removing the can and the first section of pipe and cutting about 5 - 10mm off the pipe (where it goes into the second section under the bike) in effect dropping the whole can down a bit, may have to make a pair of new 'top brackets' but that's not a great deal. I will try it over my Christmas hols and will of course post up the result.

In theory it looks as though it will work so fingers crossed.

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: warranty

I'm in the UK, and I bought the bike s/h so no warranty. Not too bothered as most thing's I can get fixed myself - just hope there isn't too many 'problems'.

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 years warranty

Sorry I thought some of you were US.
Anyway gnome, it doesn't matter where and what hand you bought it, the warranty is applicable for 2 yours starting the 1st day the bike has been sold the first time. You're guaranteed this by EU law.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2 years warranty

Well I had a real good look at the pipe set up today and decided against cutting it, what I have done though is to make 2 alloy 'lowering strips' that bolt onto the rear can mount and that has dropped the can hieght by 1/2" which in turn has altered the the angle of it meaning the can and pipe no longer touch any part of the plastic battery tray / storage area, I have a good 10mm clearance all the way down.

This is NOT my final resolution as I want the can back up to it's original place so in the new year I am going to take it to a guy I know to cut about 2" off the back end of the can and replace it with a piece of pipe so it will still look the same but it will be well away from the seat and plastics, I will of course post up some photos of the finished thing.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and a very happy new year and remember. . . . a bike is for riding 'all year round'

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I dropped the rear section of the exhaust off to 'the man who can' and after a long disscussion we decided against cutting up the original can, so instead he is going to make a jig up and fabricate the whole thing in brushed stainless. It will still be oval but it will have 2 very short slash pipes exiting it, it will mount in the same places and have the numberplate mounts fitted, and it will be made to miss the plastics completely. We have yet to come to a price but just out of curiosity. . . would anyone else be interested?

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I might be depending on price and depending on how loud it is,
also will the bike need re- tuning?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New can

John is an exceptionally clever bloke, he has been building exhausts for . . well. . . ever, he takes all the figures i.e. engine size / configuraton / pipe length and bore and then makes the can internals to suit - hw built the pipes for my supercharged GSX1400 I re-dynoed it after and it needed very little alteration, so I would say that it will be a direct replacement.
I will do all the checks etc (obviously) and let you know the results, it may be a few weeks yet as he is fitting mine in between race bikes. I will probably end up going with a Power Commander as well next year just to get the benifit of the smoother running and better fuel consumption.

Happy new year guys,

.GNOME.

Check out the can I have gone for -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New can

Agreed. Very nice - and unique - but cleaning it is going to be a bitch, I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Cleaning wont be a problem, well no more than the standard can. I am getting it in a brushed stainless finish so that it still ties in with the rest of the finish on the rear.

Only another 4-6 weeks to go, I'm climbing the walls now not being able to ride her so god knows what I'm going to be like in a month. . . . may have to resort to taking the wifes SV out for a spin (if I can sneak it past her)

.GNOME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hi Gnome, do you know how loud its going to be ? I had a powermax underseat on my speed triple and while it sounded superb it was a pain on a half decent ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hiya buddy - no we have no idea yet as this is the first one made for the Benelli BUT you can get the can with a db killer if you so require - I am used to running bikes with almost straight through systems for drag racing etc so it will be quiet to me.

What I will do 'when it is completed' is take a variety of photos from different angles and record a mpg and a mp3 then zip it up and if any wants a copy I can either send it on a CD or e-mail depending on the size. I will keep you all informed

.GNOME.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts